Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can a westie walk for?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

hi

quick question. i have a westie, 14 months, we bring him for his daily walk, about 90 minutes. he is wrecked after it. I would like to bring him a bit further as there is a lovely wooden area about an hours walk away. would that be too much, as i dont fancy carrying him all the way back :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

90 mins :eek: holy crap id be wrecked after that nevermind the dog. Good on ya with the exercise but i think it might be a bit too much for a little dog like a westie! 30-45 mins would be more than sufficient imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You should have my dogs. They are Patterdale terrier cross and they would happily go for 3-4 hours and probably still have energy. I'd say a westie would have a harder time of it, but he might be ok if you build him up to it. That might mean feeding him a high energy food.

For just the occasional walk I'd say it could be a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Thanks for the replies

He loves his walks, thats for sure!!!

I dont want to burn him out, so thanks for the advice

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have a westie myself, loves walks! Just pans out when he gets back and relaxes! Lovely dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP obviously your not in Ballymun/Finglas/Tallaght/Clondalkin/Blanch <insert as required> where these things....

PicainBag_200.jpg

Are all the rage!..

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Mairt wrote: »
    Blanch [S

Heeeey dont be slaggin off blanch like that....we would have proper holes for the dogs head and all, not just lettin it stick its head out of the bag like that...jees..and we only use faux leather with diamantés on them! Get your facts right!:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Why not drive half the way there then park up and continue on? :)

If he is fit and used to these long walks I don't see why you couldn't gradually increase the length of the walks. It's not so much the size of the dog it's the fitness level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Why not drive half the way there then park up and continue on? :)

If he is fit and used to these long walks I don't see why you couldn't gradually increase the length of the walks. It's not so much the size of the dog it's the fitness level.

Its a small country road, no real place for parking and hoping to use the mid clare walks route. Once the dog is on the lead and any waste is collected, its permitted to bring a dog then.

also, the price of diesel hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

You could always find one of these in a second hand shop, but would the dog sit quietly is the question :D

PC0001.jpg

Advertisement