Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed re max possible upload speed, will this vary by ISP or only by phone line

Options
  • 16-07-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

if eircom tell me I can get max speed on my line of 2m download 256k upload can I assume that other ISPs will provide the same speeds ?

is it possible that another ISP could provide a better max speed on the same line ?

I am particularly interested in getting the best UPLOAD speed possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

Yes different providers can offer different upload speeds. ADSL2+ (Magnet & Smrt) providers will certainly provide higher upload and download speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

IBB have upload speeds upto 3m on breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

Yes different providers can offer different upload speeds. ADSL2+ (Magnet & Smrt) providers will certainly provide higher upload and download speeds

but only if my local phone exchange is adsl2+ enabled, which it isn't

i'm wondering if, on the same non-adsl2+ phone line, a different ISP could provide a better max upload speed than eircom ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If Smart or Magnet or other LLU providers are not on your exchange then if your getting ADSL and you'r limited to bit-stream products (eircom wholesale) your pretty much limited to 128K, 256K or 384k (generally on 3MB packages only)

Anything else will require LLU, wireless, cable or ADSL2+

barnicles wrote: »
    IBB have upload speeds upto 3m on breeze

this might be my best option

3mb download and upload compared to eircom 3mb download and 384 upload for same price

not sure if I can get it though due to siting issues

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    If Smart or Magnet or other LLU providers are not on your exchange then if your getting ADSL and you'r limited to bit-stream products (eircom wholesale) your pretty much limited to 128K, 256K or 384k (generally on 3MB packages only)

Anything else will require LLU, wireless, cable or ADSL2+

when you say I'm limited to bit stream products what exactly do you mean by that ? how do I know if I am or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

Eircom have begun rolling out ADSL2+ and customers can now achieve up to 12Mb/1Mb on their line. However this is still delivered over their ATM network so 24:1 Contention applies. Pricing with Eircom is €169 ex VAT as its considered a business connection

Bitstream is the wholesale offering of Eircom's broadband service so any ISP offering broadband should be able to offer you this speed if its availible on your line.

Shop around see who'll does the best deal

Eircom have begun rolling out ADSL2+ and customers can now achieve up to 12Mb/1Mb on their line. However this is still delivered over their ATM network so 24:1 Contention applies. Pricing with Eircom is €169 ex VAT as its considered a business connection

Bitstream is the wholesale offering of Eircom's broadband service so any ISP offering broadband should be able to offer you this speed if its availible on your line.

Shop around see who'll does the best deal

ok thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

what Randomswinger said :)

Advertisement