Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal Recommendations?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Right, I appear to have knackered one of my pedals on my FCR1 and assuming they can't be bought individually I'm in the market for a new set of pedals. Current set are Shimano M-545 that came with the bike when I got it, quite a decent pedal in my experience, although when not using cleats they are slippery in the wet and also not the easiest on soft soled shoes in terms of wearing out the soles.

Ideally I would like a pedal in the €50-€100 range that can be used both with my current cycling shoes (so any two bolt system I think) and, as I also use the bike as a commuter, civilian shoes also. Saying that though, should you feel that a set of cleat only pedals would be a better option I have a set of flat pedals I can swap in and out to alternate between weekday and weekend cycling. As the bike is a road bike stuff like mud-shedding and such like aren't really an issue.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wouldn't go swapping pedals around a few times a week. The threads in aluminium crank arms are delicate enough and you'll risk damaging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I would have suggested the ones you had -never had any bother with them in cons (and you feel everything in them bad boys!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I have the same pedals, so far so good. I bought that style in my naiveity thinking that I might like to cycle without cleat sometimes - once I got used to cleats I never wanted to go back. My next pair of pedals will be SPDs but without the frame around them I reckon. Even for commuting, it's so much nicer to have cleats than not.
    just my 2 cents anyway.

p.s. how did you knacker them?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

I use Shimano M324 which are platform one side and cleat on the other. I rarely go cleatless but I did yesterday and found it quite unsettling as the flat side seemed slippery. I keep a pair of shoes under my desk in work although my cleats are ok for walking it's just nicer to be in normal shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can get clip-in plastic bits for standard double-sided SPD pedals which gives you a fair amount of flexibility. They do not give great grip in normal shoes mind, probably worse than what you had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Shimano M520, fairly bulletproof. I have these with shimano M021 SPD shoes (if you have a small foot, you can get the shoes for 25 euro off chain reaction at the moment, crackin deal! M520s then for 27 euro.)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Not sure exactly when or how it happened but yesterday evening noticed that the cage was lose and wobbly and upon inspection noticed I was missing the spring and bolt of the pedal, namely the three bits labelled 6 here. Would I be right in assuming that finding spares for it would be nigh on impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am saving up for speedplay pedals ... few people use those over here, but I think they're easyer to clip in...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

did you knacker the left or right pedal?
    I knackered a similar one last year, I think it was the left one and the right one is still in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Planning to get these to use with the Focus Cayo. I'm used to SPDs and wanted something really minimal.

I'm on a second set of Wellgo SPDs on my fixie. The first ones (cheap but wanted to see what clips would be like before I shelled out big bucks) served well but one pedal cracked after a spill. Replacement set (Wellgo again but slightly better) doing well. But once I started using them, I have never even considered going back to a standard pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

stuf wrote: »
    I use Shimano M324 which are platform one side and cleat on the other. I rarely go cleatless but I did yesterday and found it quite unsettling as the flat side seemed slippery.

I use these also. Haven't noticed them slippery myself, but I'd usually be wearing trainers when I'm not wearing cycling shoes.

They are handy for commuting through town. Coming up to a line of cars, I'd normally unclip, pedal up the inside using the flat side of pedal, and clip back in when I've a clear run. Saved me a few cleat-induced spills...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Shimano used to sell a pedal which was SPD on one side and flat on the other but with holes in the cage/body so that you could attach toe-clips (to the flat side). I wouldn't fancy it myself (too much risk the the clips+strap snagging on something when clipped into the other side of the pedal) but it is one approach to dealing with the slippyness of the flat side. Toe-clips can mangle your shoes a little though.

unionman wrote: »
    Planning to get these to use with the Focus Cayo. I'm used to SPDs and wanted something really minimal.
    Unionman- I tried them myself and they are not really fully SPD compatible, they are more "SPD like" - lots of fiddling around but bottom line is I don't think it would be possible for any shoe with a recessed cleat to clip in, the design puts the mechanism very low down on the pedal spindle so that the tread gets in the way. I had to send mine back to Wiggle; it was a pity as they were damn light and looked good too. Just bear that in mind if you were planning on using with your current shoes/cleats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mtbr hylo

speedplay are the dogsbo**ix but look are probably more affordable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I've only ever used Look Keo classics so don't have much to go on, but I've never had any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I use Crank Brothers Candy on my lapierre and I recently got Crank Brothers Acid for my fixed gear. Both available on CRC
    I like the Crank Brothers pedals but have never used anything else so can't compare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

blorg wrote: »
    Unionman- I tried them myself and they are not really fully SPD compatible, they are more "SPD like" - lots of fiddling around but bottom line is I don't think it would be possible for any shoe with a recessed cleat to clip in, the design puts the mechanism very low down on the pedal spindle so that the tread gets in the way. I had to send mine back to Wiggle; it was a pity as they were damn light and looked good too. Just bear that in mind if you were planning on using with your current shoes/cleats.

Thanks blorg, food for thought. I was planning to invest in new shoes, as current shoes would be a bit clunky and cleats are used to pedals on the fixie.

I'll reconsider, and read back some of the recs on this thread. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Those of you who have both clipless pedals in your commuter and you road bike - do you have two sets of the same model (or at least manufacturer) for each bike?

I have Time RXE on my road bike, and will be looking for pedals for my new fixie. I figured I'd be best to stick with Time, but they're a bit too expensive for the fixie. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using two different systems regularly? I guess you'd have to change the cleat on your shoe (and make sure the cleats are compatible) which would be rather inconvenient but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle. Cheers.

I use the same system (SPD) on all my bikes but pedals from three different manufacturers over four bikes, the lighter/more expensive ones on the good bikes. It's very handy to be able to use the same shoes across all the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Cheers blorg. What companies use SPD apart from Shimano? Know if Time cleats are compatible with any other manufacturers' pedals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Look Keo Classics here too. I dont knwo anything about bikes but they work for me fine anyway

Cheers blorg. What companies use SPD apart from Shimano? Know if Time cleats are compatible with any other manufacturers' pedals?
    Too many to name, I'd imagine it is in the hundreds. I have two pairs from Powerplay, one Xpedo and one Shimano. I reckon SPD is the single most popular pedal system but on the road side certainly many other manufacturers do Look-compatible pedals (Look are probably the most popular of the road systems.)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Hey barrabus, yeah it's the right one that's dodgy alright. If you find the one I need in your shed I'd be more than willing to throw you the price of a pint or two. Cheers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    ...but on the road side certainly many other manufacturers do Look-compatible pedals (Look are probably the most popular of the road systems.)

Believe it or not, but I've an old pair of Shimano pedals that take Look cleats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I use Time ATAC Aliums on my fixed gear and find them great for both road cycling and commuting. I'll be putting them on my new road bike..

Advertisement