Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to waterford

• 16-07-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

hey wondering is there many single parents in same position as me,
    i have no support-family wise, so im flying completely solo with my little girl, and im finding it very hard to adjust to waterford, i lived in galway fro years and came here from wex to go to college. so alot of great friends i have from college are not in living here...
    im crackin up and have gotten so lazy, sittin on ass watchin day time tv..
    applied for few jobs but as im not flexible im not wanted...
    is there anything to do during day to meet like minded people...
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lucy Locket

hey, not a single mum but I do know some single mums who are doing some part time work in AOL. It not the most pleasent job in the world but it pays some bills - and if you are looking for someone to hang out with, I'm normally around most evenings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

How bout an hour or 2 in the gym each day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

a few laps of the Park in the evenings, just walking.. youd be supprised how active you start to become then.. i do it alot when im stuck in a rutt. just out around the park for an hour or so walking and your getting energy going other things seem easier to do then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

youtube.com

...nah, seriously:

http://www.whazon.com/waterford/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think Lucy mentioned it in the other thread, but volunteer work. If you're into it at all, there are loads and loads of groups around the town that need a hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yummum

thanks,
    i live across from wit so after i collect baby, we do a walk around the college..... but i know im just gettin lazy and need to nip it in the bud...
    i just need something to fill my day.. i shud be studying,
    goin lookin into AOL and volenteer work now, cheers!!!

if ya hear any more stuff, it gr8 to hear from ye all.
    cheers guys, makes me kinda feel not on own...sad i know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Someone here may know but I have a vague memory of a group/club for lone parents in the WIT a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i 2nd the park idea, its really nice to jog in there, plenty of fresh air, except for the cars on the petrol station side !!

ya we luv the park, i do more running around tryin to catch up with my little girl than goin for a relaxing stroll lol..
    really likin the idea of volenteer work, im doin psych nursing so it may benifit and maybe i can help to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

If your doing nursing and looking at volenteer work why not join the Order of Malta they are always looking for people and ties in with your course. As far as i know they meet every wednesday night at 8 at their HQ in Bath St oppsite Tesco Polberry

• Advertisement

cheers! i wud love to but i cant do anything in eve because i have no one to mind my baby, we completely on own in waterford. so only time i have to myself is when she in creche.which is til 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lucy Locket

Hey,

did you have any luck with the volunteering??

hey lucy,
    emailed childline and waiting to hear bak, and meetin a girl on wed bout 'le cheile', but she said nothin til at least autumn but meetin with her anyway.
    that all so far,
    been goin for hr power walks too so that keepin me well busy and tired lol,
    and tryin to do bit of study too.
    hows ur volubnteering goin for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

doing a bit of walking around the city is good, it is a nice friendly city once you get used to it and the walking is also good for you.....
    you want company any day for a walk... sure we all are friendly here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

check out the citzens advise bureuo.

I know that last winter they held a flower arranging course for single mothers only. I think it was them, I think they held it in the adult information centre. Could be wrong about the location. but worth lookin into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

hey, I just moved to waterford a while back myself, and though I dont have any kids myself yet, I adore them, and miss my extremely large extended family loads. I have been looking up clubs to join etc, and have not found a huge amount of them that are all that interesting (I have some links for bookclubs if you'd like them?). We could always start up a club ourselves? I'm 27, and thinking about heading back to college to do some night courses. I know how you feel re your friends being so far away, I'm in the exact same situation, and its tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

hey, I just moved to waterford a while back myself, and though I dont have any kids myself yet, I adore them, and miss my extremely large extended family loads. I have been looking up clubs to join etc, and have not found a huge amount of them that are all that interesting (I have some links for bookclubs if you'd like them?). We could always start up a club ourselves? I'm 27, and thinking about heading back to college to do some night courses. I know how you feel re your friends being so far away, I'm in the exact same situation, and its tough.

sounds like someone needs "Waterford Beers" ASAP :D hehe.
    where did you move from? dont worry about it, i moved here from Dublin 8 years ago.. and although i left all my mates behind.. i actually have more friends in Waterford now than i did in Dublin.. its a good town (sorry... city :eek: )

hey, i know i so strange been in new place, and my hands kinda tied in relation to gettin out and meetin people..
    fair play anuksumum goin bak to college, its not an easy thing to do but sooo rewarding, i went bak to college and if i pass my exam next wk il be goin into 2nd yr,and i cant wait...you can mail anytime, im generally floating around most time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

Thanks for the messages guys, I feel very welcome :) I moved from Dublin too, was up there for 3 years, but originally from Carlow, unfortunately most of my friends are all in dublin, or spread all over the world, my poor boyfriend is in the same boat, and since we dont drink much, and I'm not working at the mo its tough meeting new people.. so thanks for the replies. Read about the beers, excellent idea! i look forward to it.
    also best of luck with exam results yummum!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

Ladies if ye are still looking to pass an hour or two there are ladies kickboxing classes every Monday night in Tycor business park 6.30-7.30. and mixed classes every Thurs and Thurs 8-9.30. Guaranteed to meet lots of new people !

• Advertisement

awe nooooo, i use to do kickboxin years ago in galway, and i loved it but i cant do anything in eve at the mo unless i can take my 2yr old tooo, hehe might come in handy if older kids try bully her in the creche..haha.. il def keep it in mind tho wud love to go try get fit again.

Advertisement