Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 tonne bags of stone

Options
  • 16-07-2008 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am trying to buy one or two 1-tonne bags of stone to put a base in for a garden shed. I know it would be much cheaper to go to a quarry myself with a trailer but I just do not have the facility to do that so dont have much choice. However the couple of pits I rangs don't do bagged stone. Does anyone know what kind of places do do this? I am in the North Cork area.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I know of a place, but it's in Donegal - I suppose that's no good?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Wonder what the delivery charge on that would be! :rolleyes:

Actually I have just assumed that they are 1 tonne....does anyone know if they are by weight or volume? Any idea of the rough volume of the bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The dumpy bags are usually one cubic metre - the stone will be something like 2.1 to 2.4 tonnes per cubic metre and the bag won't be quite full - so about 2 tonne per bag.

albob wrote: »
    Wonder what the delivery charge on that would be! :rolleyes:

Actually I have just assumed that they are 1 tonne....does anyone know if they are by weight or volume? Any idea of the rough volume of the bags?

only trying to help...no need for the rolleyes surely!

Didnt mean anything by rolly eyes.....more a dig at delivery charges (which with the cost of fuel you cant really blame them!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I needed a small quantity of stone to finish of a similar project (base of a garden shed) a couple of years ago.

Most quarries would deliver small quantities but they'll charge full delivery price (same as for 20 ton) so it worked out very expensive. In the end I think paid about E250 for around 4 or 5 ton. Most DIY places seem to do the bagged stuff, but it was much more expensive (cost about the same per bag, for less than half as much).

You may find them a bit more flexible as the quarries are having a hard time at the moment ( a lot have shut down).

Shame you can't find a trailer, my local quarry only charge E10 a ton if you collect it yourself.

Make sure you get the right stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Borrow a tractor and trailor and head and get it yourself otherwise as previously said you will get fleeced by the quarry, neighbour had similar situation...Is it hardcore stone or small stone you want?

Didnt mean anything by rolly eyes.....more a dig at delivery charges (which with the cost of fuel you cant really blame them!)

:) no probs, only kidding really. SOrry, I mis-read your original post, I thought you had a trailer - I know the lads do runs down the country, I'll see if they are in Cork in the next few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

call your local garden centre, i got hardcore from mine reasonably priced, not sure if they do stone, but you could put in a harcore base and compact it..

Thanks all.
    Actually a few of you have mantioned that I must ensure I get the right stuff.
    What would be the right stuff to get. I was thinking maybe mainly 2-3inch stone and compacting it with a packer and then a layer of smaller stone on top. I have dug to a dept of 6inches.
    Maybe all hardcore and compacting it would be a better idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

The stuff I was recommended when I did my shed was graded to 25mm and less. I can't remember the correct name for it.

I always think the term graded is confusing at it means you've got all sizes mixed together. Anyway this was like a mixture of coarse sand up to small pieces about an inch in size. Compacted great with a roller and a wacker and was easy to shovel and rake. I then laid concrete blocks on top (flat on their edge). All in all I laid about 6 - 8 inches in depth and made sure it was pretty well compacted. For a smaller shed you may not need it to be quite as deep.

Easy to do but it takes a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

i think the stuff your after is called "eight o four"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

eight o four or 804 refers to a clause in the Department of Transport specification for road construction. 804 is a granular subbase material of a higher quality than some of the graded crushed stone and will be more expensive than say 40mm down. For a couple of tonne, there is not going to be much in it in price difference. If you are asking for a single size stone aggregate - make sure it is "with fines", ie with finer particles - that makes it easier to compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Quarries like to deliver full truck loads.

But in urban areas there are people who buy lorry loads of sand, block, gravel and stone and sell small loads, making a small profit.

Check out business / people who sell blocks, sand, gravel and stone.
    Most will deliver one or tonnes of stone. ( Golden pages etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 39 big tommy

Hi,
    I am trying to buy one or two 1-tonne bags of stone to put a base in for a garden shed. I know it would be much cheaper to go to a quarry myself with a trailer but I just do not have the facility to do that so dont have much choice. However the couple of pits I rangs don't do bagged stone. Does anyone know what kind of places do do this? I am in the North Cork area.
    Thanks

hi must be your luckey day call to the stone yard its between ballyhea and charleville at show grounds large quantity of 1 tonne bags of crushed stones or garden and drivway chippings bulk loads are also arranged

try the stone yard its between ballyhea and charleville wide range of tonne bags of chippings and crushed stone for drivway and garden etc worth a visit

Hi,
    Thanks

be closer to u than donegal ha

let me know how u get on.....im new to this so need the feedback thanks

Hey Big Tommy,
    Actually passed it today. I am afraid you are about a year too late. Ended up locating a trailer and getting it from the local quarry. SHed still standing so happy enough.
    Cheers anyway.

Hey Big Tommy,
    Actually passed it today. I am afraid you are about a year too late. Ended up locating a trailer and getting it from the local quarry. SHed still standing so happy enough.
    Cheers anyway.
    thanks for the reply just getting used to this, still worth a call there ideal for a present etc we baught a stone circle for the garden they lay it too if you want great service mother was delighted ........

• Advertisement
Advertisement