Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT

Options
  • 16-07-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

just had my nct. went well enough but they say i have to replace a tyre which is bald on the inside. when i go back for the recheck will they inspect all five tyres again or can i just stick the spare on?
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

just replace the wheel, why not replace the tyre, also you need the tracking done, tyres do not wear for no reason, all they will do is a visual, of what failed, no retest fee

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Prob better off in Motors.

You should replace the actual wheel imo unless you are planning to use the spare forthwith and buy a new spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Indeed. Moved to Motors

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mosfo

thx for move & answers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

mosfo wrote: »
    just had my nct. went well enough but they say i have to replace a tyre which is bald on the inside. i go back for the recheck will they inspect all five tyres again or can i just stick the spare on?

I'd be more concerned about driving on a half bald tyre than passing the NCT. Those things aren't for show, they actually keep you on the road. Why not just get it replaced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mosfo wrote: »
    just had my nct. went well enough but they say i have to replace a tyre which is bald on the inside. when i go back for the recheck will they inspect all five tyres again or can i just stick the spare on?
    thx

It's likely they will check all tyres, including the spare. If your tyres are wearing on the inside, then the tracking could be off, though if it's off by much you should have failed that test. You should replace the two front tyres (keep them matched) and then get the re-check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

You dont need to have a spare wheel for the NCT, but if you do it must be road legal. You could get away with fitting the spare, but why would you want to drive around with a bald tyre? Get it replaced and get the tracking done.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

It's likely they will check all tyres, including the spare. If your tyres are wearing on the inside, then the tracking could be off, though if it's off by much you should have failed that test. You should replace the two front tyres (keep them matched) and then get the re-check

Spare Tyre is not part of the test, you are not required to acually have one, except taxis and hackneys.

You only have to replace the worn tyre to pass the Re-Test, but it is a good idea to have the tracking checked.

Advertisement