Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 159

Options
  • 16-07-2008 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I found myself looking at one of these today, a 2006 JTDm, smashing looking car of course but any issues around that engine? The car will be under warranty until March 2009 but after that it's a step into the unknown....

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

don't listen to people here that will tell you alfa's are crap ect... I have one and it's great. get onto an alfa owners forum and assk the question - they'll have the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Had 1.9 JTDmfrom new excellent machine, they love the twisty stuff.
    I put up almost 60K before swapping for another one, wonderful car to drive and a very good mile muncher...They do about 43-47MPG, and even if you drive them hard you still get 41MPG :D
    A set of tyres will last you about 15-18K depending on they type of tyre ya fit...
    I bought mine in Lismard Autoworld Portlaois, and found them very good, if its any good to you.
    best of luck, they are a fab looking car..be prepared to be stared at in traffic a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

smashing looking car of course but any issues around that engine?

fantastic car, and the one thing you will not have to worry about is the engine, Fiat are one of the best engine makers there is nowadays

that 1.9 JTD is in everything diesel from Saab and Opel too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Echo what's being said. The Alfa JTDm engines are GM units. Very similar to Saab and Opel units. Rock solid. The 159 is supposed to be much more solid than anything before. Get the belt done around the 60K mark would be my recommendation as there have been a few reports of them failing before 72K (safe to wait until the end of your warranty if it has been serviced as required).

www.alfaowner.com will answer any potential questions you might have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭kyote00

the 159 petrol units have timing chains only diesel units have belts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have always had a soft-spot for Alfas and test drove the 159JTDm recently. I have to say I was disappointed, it felt sluggish and ponderous (the infamous weight issue of current Alfas?). Also, even though I let down the seat the driving position seemed too high for me.

It's great to hear that it's holding together reliability-wise though. If Alfa could improve dynamics just a little and live down their troublesome reputation they would be an awesome proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

kyote00 wrote: »
    the 159 petrol units have timing chains only diesel units have belts...

Its a diesel he was looking at...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gpf101 wrote: »
    The Alfa JTDm engines are GM units. Very similar to Saab and Opel units.

It's the other way around. The FIAT/Alfa diesel engines are used in GM cars like Saabs and Opels ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Cheers people, a great car by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 159 seems to be holding second hand values pretty steady especially the diesels.

Good if your selling one, bad if your looking for a bargin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 159 seems to be holding second hand values pretty steady especially the diesels.

Good if your selling one, bad if your looking for a bargin.

Probably because there's not many of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

pburns wrote: »
    I have always had a soft-spot for Alfas and test drove the 159JTDm recently. I have to say I was disappointed, it felt sluggish and ponderous (the infamous weight issue of current Alfas?).

Was it the 120 or 150 bhp car your were test driving?

Anyone got anything to say about the petrol variant of the 159 or is diesel the only way to go with the 159?

voxpop wrote: »
    Was it the 120 or 150 bhp car your were test driving?

It was the 150bhp model. In fairness it was on the outskirts of town and I didn't get a chance to 'open her up'.

The main problem with the 159 though is WEIGHT! This drags the CO2 into Band D which is ridiculous when compared with cars in that very broad sector like the 3-series, Mazda 6, Legacy. More to the point, it also effects performance and handling.

They were supposed to have tackled this at the facelift but AFAIK it was a token gesture - reducing unspring weight of suspension, brakes or somefing'.

The 159 is shagged at the moment I think because the 3-series/A4 are only a little more expensive (what with massive CO2 strides) and less expensive cars like the Legacy Diesel, even the Mazda 6 or Mondeo blow it out of the water dynamically.

Like I said, I like Alfas, I'm not a basher. But the 159, Brera etc. are just not competitive in current guise, even though they look divine:(...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Blast - I was really considering a 159 as my next car. I was a bit worried,to be honest, after seeing the figures with torque and bhp similar to my golf and the alfa about 200 kg heavier. Sounds like the car is pretty mediocre bar the looks of course- pity really

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Blast - I was really considering a 159 as my next car. I was a bit worried,to be honest, after seeing the figures with torque and bhp similar to my golf and the alfa about 200 kg heavier. Sounds like the car is pretty mediocre bar the looks of course- pity really

couldn't be more wrong..
    Having lived (I’m on my second)with the 150 BHP JTDm for the last 2+ years, they are far from mediocre.
    Few other cars drive like the 159, it’s in the twisty stuff this car really shines, I had the chance to drive on the track with my Bella and it was a hoot.
    Gone is the lift-off over-steer from the 156, the grip is amazing :D you have to push very hard (or do something silly)to get her to step out..
    Overtaking is a question of setting the car up to maximize the boost, its all a question of “keeping her lit”
    Will I buy another? Absolutely :)
    Try taking one on an extended test drive, like 100 miles or so :D You'll see what I mean..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I found myself looking at one of these today, a 2006 JTDm, smashing looking car of course but any issues around that engine? The car will be under warranty until March 2009 but after that it's a step into the unknown....

Any thoughts?
    Stay away from those cars, nice looking but loads of problems. I know a lot of alfa owners that are hounded from costly breakdowns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ever notice it's always people who "know others" that usually berate Alfas :):):)

OP the 159 is a lovely car , reliable and a beaut to drive IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know a lot of alfa owners that are hounded from costly breakdowns.

How long is the warranty now - 3/4 years? How old is the 159 model - 2 years maybe?

Wouldn't break downs be covered mostly by warranty then?

Saw a Ti recently and it looked gorgeous! Not mad on the dash though, prefer the 147/GT dash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Alfa all the way for me, we have had 5 in the family so far & they are no more problematic than any other brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

My dad has a 159 and its a lovely car, and i have a 147. both brilliant cars and are much better drivers than most other cars out there.

I also had people tell me about their unrealiability, but we've both had no other yet (touch wood) and ive owned the 147 the last 6months and the 159 is a year old. Albeit they are both very well taken care of, but its hard not to look after a car that good looking!!

• Advertisement

su_dios wrote: »
    How long is the warranty now - 3/4 years? How old is the 159 model - 2 years maybe?

Wouldn't break downs be covered mostly by warranty then?

That's kinda the point - it's only been out a few years and it's not the type of cars fleets use and put up intergalactic mileage (that would be a test).

Friend of mine had a 'trouble-free' Discovery for 3 years but when it started going wrong it was a total liability. He's just recently got shut of it & is well relieved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

go and get it... you know you want to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Theres a lot to be said for walking out of your gaff on a cold winters morning to be greeted by a work of art tho. Makes the extra tax and VRT seem cheap really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Beautiful car and that diesel engine is fantastic I have it in my Vectra. Don't mind all the usual car bashing that goes on in here....buy it and be happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Any thoughts?

I have 129,000 MILES on my 05 1.9 JTD M-Jet 140bhp and Its never had ANY problems... except for oil and a filter every 6000 miles and a FULL service history. Alfa's shouldn't be bought without one.
    other than that mine has been a dream to own and drive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Friend of mine is in the market for a sport estate.

imo the natural choice is the 159 ti sportwagon in Stromboli grey or black with natural colour leather.

I would really love the 3.2 - but lets be serious
    The 2.4 jtdm - but lets face it - no one will want that once he's finished with it - so 1.9jtdm

now he is insisting that most of his time is spent in dublin traffic so it needs to be an auto

My question is - 1.9jtdm ti spec sportwagon auto -

Would he have to throw it away when he's finished ?

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

RobAMerc wrote: »

My question is - 1.9jtdm ti spec sportwagon auto -

Would he have to throw it away when he's finished ?

Rob

Nah, I'll take it off him!

bottletops wrote: »
    I have 129,000 MILES on my 05 1.9 JTD M-Jet 140bhp and Its never had ANY problems... except for oil and a filter every 6000 miles and a FULL service history. Alfa's shouldn't be bought without one.
    other than that mine has been a dream to own and drive

Wow, that's impressive enough. I'm glad to hear it.

I'd still be prevented from buying one for the reasons posted above. Excessive weight
    (i) blunts it's performance and handling
    (ii) fooks up it's CO2 figure, badly effecting the VRT added and road tax

I was genuinely interested in buying one. However I just don't think Alfas should get away with being dynamically medioce just because they look great. I don't care how many people here claim what a great drive it is, my own experiences, plus those of respected publications like CAR and Autocar suggest the 159 is just not near the sharp end of the grid as a driving tool.

And I'm sorry, an Alfa, a REAL Alfa is all about the driving, not just posing or being noticed in traffic.

Having said that, they do seem to be bolted together better these days and if it's the only car for you then go for it. There are certainly far worse choices.

I'm just giving my tupenny worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I believe the 159 has been sent on a diet, so the newer models have reduced weight. I am also lead to believe that the 159 is no heavier than its BMW/Audi equivalents.

& regarding it not being at the sharp end as a driving tool :rolleyes: neither is the equivalent in any other marque...

If you want a really sharp Audi you go for a top end Model. You have to realise that many of these tests are done on the race track, which is a million miles away from the conditions that most 159 drivers will be.

I drive an Alfa 147 & when you put it past 3000rpm it's character changes and just begs to be driven. Below 3000rpm & it is sophisticated and relaxing to drive. Alfas are set up in a way particular to that brand and you can only find out the joy of owning one... ... by actually owning one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I believe the 159 has been sent on a diet, so the newer models have reduced weight. I am also lead to believe that the 159 is no heavier than its BMW/Audi equivalents.

& regarding it not being at the sharp end as a driving tool :rolleyes: neither is the equivalent in any other marque...

If you want a really sharp Audi you go for a top end Model. You have to realise that many of these tests are done on the race track, which is a million miles away from the conditions that most 159 drivers will be.

I drive an Alfa 147 & when you put it past 3000rpm it's character changes and just begs to be driven. Below 3000rpm & it is sophisticated and relaxing to drive. Alfas are set up in a way particular to that brand and you can only find out the joy of owning one... ... by actually owning one...

Yes, totally agree, had a few sud's and 33's. All great, reliable, but rusty,engine great at high revs, very hard to drive slowly.
    Tempted to buy a 2005 147 1.9 diesel. Are they recommended?

Advertisement