Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student bank loan and credit union loan

Options
  • 16-07-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I have a student loan from a years back (topping up and paying off some as i went along). Just say i owe the bank 3500 and i owe the credit union 3500 would i be mad to just increase my credit union loan by 3500 and pay off my bank loan?

Would i pay a lot of interest by paying off the student loan two years earlier?

Any Advise,

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 danmcmie

credit union loans generally have lower interest rates than bank loans, so you would save money by paying off a 7000 loan from a credit union rather than a 3500 on a bank loan and 3500 on a CU loan.

then again, banks dont like their loans been paid off early so they may charge a fee or a percentage remaining of the loan to clear it early.

what you really need to do is figure out what the interest rates or fees are on all sides and get a calculator.... nobody is going to give you a definite answer on which is the better option without having figures. :)

Advertisement