Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicken on a low carb diet, what to have with it?

• 16-07-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

As you may have seen from some of my other threads. im trying to lose weight by watching what i eat and exercising regularly. If i buy some chicken pieces or breasts, and boil them. What can i have them with? Any kind of a sauce? I asked in another thread about uncle ben's, and i was told it was terrible and to make your own. I'm not really proficient in cooking yet, but am getting better and learning.
    Any advice, greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

try cooking them with other food to make a casserole rather than boiling them and adding sauce, this may be easier. However any sauce you make yourself will be better than those you buy. Try the BBC website for recipes, just search for chicken you should get loads.

A curry if made without coconut and tomatoes to thicken is quite easy, if you are not confident cooking buy a curry powder such as sharwoods and use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

A very quick and easy low carb sauce: cook your chicken (or meat or fish) on a non-stick pan. When it's done, take it off and put it on a hot plate. Pour some cream onto the pan, stir it round to mix with the chicken juice. As soon as it is hot, add some crumbled blue cheese. Stir. As soon as the cheese is melted, pour it all over the chicken.

Alternative, for a more casserole effect, brown your chicken and then add whatever veg you want, turn down the heat and add some chicken stock (real is best, but stock cubes work) and let it simmer for a while. Chili flakes or tabasco gives it a kick. Mushrooms, olives, fennel, celery, leeks, aubergine, courgette, peppers are all good low carb veg for this.

Or cook some chicken pieces on a pan, then add some coconut milk or cream and flavour with curry or lemongrass.

There is no real point in boiling chicken breasts. Roast or grill them, they'll taste far better.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Have 'cauliflower rice' with chicken pieces casseroled in a curry sauce like eileen suggested.. Chicken pieces on the bone are cheaper, more nutritious and taste better.. you create stock when you casserole chicken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Buy a whole chicken, boil it for about an hour then take it out and let it cool. You can strip off all the meat for whatever you want (brown bag lunches or to add to stir fry etc) and you have the liquid for making soup or stew.

Advertisement