Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do? Here's the dealio..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I don't wear a watch, but if I did and I'd the money, I'd have the Rolex Submariner with the green bezel.

Rolex Submariner

OP: You're talking about regretting a credit card bill etc. Screw that. You've a chance here to get a watch that you've had your eye on for ages. Just buy it. Worse comes to worse, you have to sell it and lose a few quid but at least you won't be thinking "What if?".

Post 101: Buy the damn watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

you should get one of these:
    nixie-watch.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Naos wrote: »
    I don't wear a watch, but if I did and I'd the money, I'd have the Rolex Submariner with the green bezel.

Probably THE most copied watch in recent decades (not necessarily the green bezel model) which turned me right off it when considering buying a nice watch.
    An expensive watch is (for most people) a lifetime investment and if OP can pick up a nice Tag or Omega, etc for half retail then go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If it can't change the channel on TV's in shopping centres and you can't pull a piece of garrote wire out from the knob that adjusts the date/time, why would you waste your money on it.

It's not a saving of 1700 unless you consider it worth 3,200. That's what it boils down to. Would you buy the watch for 1,500 if you didn't know it was worth priced at 3,200?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What would you do?
    I'd get drunk.
    At current market rates $1,500 would buy you over 500 cans of bud (or 600 bavaria, if that's your thing) or ~200 pints.
    Go out, Get some bird drunk and score. Repeat until the money is gone.
    That way you're guaranteed to score. Not every chick will spot the watch, never mind know its value. however, they will know the value of a few free bacardi breezers.

It's funny that they make 1700 on every one sold...

Of course they do. They're Jewellers and Mordeth is frothing at the mouth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Carrera is a copy of the omega speedmaster(as used on the apollo moon landings). I'd go for the omega myself. It'll hold it's value longer and is a better movement.

http://www.runawaynow.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/OMEGA_MoonWatch.jpg
    I don't know the price of that off hand, but i'd say it's closer to $4000 here, if not more, plus i don't think it's as perty as the Carrera. I do get a good discount on the omegas though, cost less 20%:D But i'm not impressed with too many of them, and the ones i am impressed with a much more expensive than Tag.
    Naos wrote: »

Rolex Submariner

That looks almost identical to the Quartz Aquaracer, except it's probably more expensive...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't know the price of that off hand, but i'd say it's closer to $4000 here, if not more, plus i don't think it's as perty as the Carrera. I do get a good discount on the omegas though, cost less 20%:D But i'm not impressed with too many of them, and the ones i am impressed with a much more expensive than Tag.
    Ah right. Thought they were cheaper. The vintage ones are about the 2 grand mark.

That looks almost identical to the Quartz Aquaracer, except it's probably more expensive...
    Just don't pay anything above a couple of hundred for a quartz. The most expensive movement in a quartz is about 30 quid. The rest are maybe 1 tenner. The rest is clear profit from the name and they won't hold any value. You would be better off with a gshock tbh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

OK, so you,ve been working in that shop selling those expensive watches to those rich people who can afford them. By buying one you will feel you are part of that set that appreciate and afford those good watches.Then you come home and none of your friends can tell he difference between those brand name pieces and the one you can buy in LIDL. Unless you can afford the car, house and lifestyle that goes with it,don't buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Korvanica wrote: »
    buy 2, sell one on ebay to pay for them!
    and carpet colour is VITAL!

...the obvious answer. Although maybe not on ebay, chances of getting retail price there is unlikely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Echelle wrote: »
    OK, so you,ve been working in that shop selling those expensive watches to those rich people who can afford them. By buying one you will feel you are part of that set that appreciate and afford those good watches.Then you come home and none of your friends can tell he difference between those brand name pieces and the one you can buy in LIDL. Unless you can afford the car, house and lifestyle that goes with it,don't buy.
    Huh? You can appreciate the finer things without having to play into a mindless obsession with status. It can just be a thing he treasures on its own for its own sake. I know a plumber with a patek philippe* watch that was handed down from his father and he'll hand it down to his son. You would never spot it on his wrist.

*makes a rolex look like a mickey mouse watch. Vintage one of these http://www.feelgoodwatches.com/images/Patek-Philippe-5115J-Calatrava-1067-fgw.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm 99% certain that i'm NOT going to go ahead with this. Yes it would be nice and the discount is fabulous.. However it's decisions like these that put me into debt in the first place. So i'm just going to be smart and forget about it. Maybe in a few years when in a better position financially i'll treat myself.

Maybe i'll buy a casio or something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why even wear a watch? Use your phone.
    If you want one that looks good get a fake one, they look the same. ;)

Trust me they most certainly do not:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

To people that do not work in watch shops, heh. I know people with real and fake rolexs that have been quite similar. An expesive watch is something I hate though, so pointless in my eyes. Spend the money on something you need. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

To people that do not work in watch shops, heh. I know people with real and fake rolexs that have been quite similar. An expesive watch is something I hate though, so pointless in my eyes. Spend the money on something you need. :)

You hate an expensive watch, Why?
    why watches in particular?

hussey wrote: »
    You hate an expensive watch, Why?
    why watches in particular?
    because people spend 10k on something on their wrist that tells them the time. Not really watches in particular, overpriced things. I suppose it dates back to all the expensive watches I have been given. Made out of silver, gold, with cameras on them, you name it and I never wanted one! :)

The full on g shock is a good un

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm 99% certain that i'm NOT going to go ahead with this. Yes it would be nice and the discount is fabulous.. However it's decisions like these that put me into debt in the first place. So i'm just going to be smart and forget about it. Maybe in a few years when in a better position financially i'll treat myself.

Debt shmebt. Casio shmasio. And so on.....

Just buy the bloody watch - the money will magically appear somehow.
    If there's a little angel floating to you left KILL IT.
    If there's a little devil floating to your right side, listen to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

because people spend 10k on something on their wrist that tells them the time. Not really watches in particular, overpriced things. I suppose it dates back to all the expensive watches I have been given. Made out of silver, gold, with cameras on them, you name it and I never wanted one! :)

You can get a watch with a camera?
    Hmmmm
    /goes off to write a spec for the iWatch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Buy it if you are going to keep it. Think about it this way, if you have it for 10 years that's less that 50c a day. You're not going to get a discount like this again and it means you've got a nice watch so you don't need another one ever again.

Worst case scenario, you owe 1700 when you get home. Just work and pay it off, its not that bad really, some poeple are in debt for tens of thousands.

hussey wrote: »
    You can get a watch with a camera?
    Hmmmm
    /goes off to write a spec for the iWatch

Yeah I had one long before cameras were even on phones. Must have cost a bomb. Was handy enough for secret photos!

Advertisement