Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended programming books?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi
    I have been programming for three years in java, c, c++ and a few others. Mostly java though. Now that I have learned how to program in these languages I would like to learn about designing larger programs (Design patterns etc).

Could you guys recommend me some books on these subjects or otherbooks which you would consider essential reading? I'm mostly interested in java books or books which are not lanuage specific.
    Thanks,
    Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd start looking for books based on UML.

one i've used and reccommend is:

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0077103939/information_center_view0/

most if not all it's code examples are in java too.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

If you're interested in Design Patterns, there is the book "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software". It is often referred to as the "Gang of Four" book and is considered a standard text in the industry. It is not language specific. The design patterns are considered core patterns, and are not specific to any particular domain. There are design catalogues for different domains, such J2EE Enterprise Application development, etc.

I've read the book "Head First Design Patterns" and it's pretty good. It covers the core design patterns defined in the Gang Of Four book. I don't know if you're familiar with Head First books, but they are written in a very informal style and are easy to read and understand. Plus this particular book implements the patterns in Java, which would be helpful to you seeing as that's the language you're most comfortable with.

Advertisement