Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come there are no British and so few NI presenters/DJs on Irish radio...?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

If you want to hear "British Accents" listen to the Ads on RTE Radio 1.

All the IRISH banks and financial institutions employ people with put on upper class British accents to peddle their wares to the Irish.

Even the intro to the RTE Radio 1 Weather Forcast is now droned in a Cambridge Don's accent.

The British well and truly flattened us,wiped us out,culturally.........if not militarily.

Note how the 300k Iceland people (Population of Cork City) treasure their own language.

Not so the Irish...the well and truly trounced Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like you have "issues" better played out on the politics forum (or History/Heritage)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I work for a radio station and we have an 2 British, 1 American and 1 NI on our on-air staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Been offline for a few days so not been able to reply to some of the posts...

First off; Liam Byrne, no offence or argument was supposed to be implied in my post re: the british isles thing, but having read back over it (and been unable to edit?) I could see why you took issue and your rebuttal is more than justified, but TBH I think we're on the same page as regards our attitudes here...I too am far from the gun waving moron draped in green, but I love my country and hate what was done to it over the centuries. I'll reply in detail to your post later when I have some time.

pirate reject: nice post, and answers a lot of my questions from a different perspective...I think you hit the nail on the head with some points...again, I'll pick out on some of those to reply to later when I get a chance.

I'd also like to reply to some of pgibson's points...for one thing I'm as far from being a Dub as I can manage, I don't "look up" to the English/British, but their radio/musical output appeals to me far more than the mostly bland crap that passes for radio in this country...Radio4 would be among my favoured presets too.
    As for points raised about other european voices on the airwaves...that wasn't my intention in the thread but since it's been brought up, they too are virtually non-existant despite our assertions that we are now a multi-cultural hub of Europe and despite the fact that there is (or perhaps was) a whole new potential listenership who moved over here during the boom...yet you barely hear anything of them and you certainly don't see their tastes catered for (of course you can argue that that's not within any remit of broadcasters)...hell even the ads barely target them, and to me that says an awful lot.

Femmy: I assume local radio in Cork? Sorry, not managed to tune that in up this way but like the guy from Phantom shows there are exceptions to my perceptions and like I said, feel free to point out where I'm wrong or have missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Sam Smyth from Belfast presents the excellent Sunday Supplement on Today FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

I say "at least two" because Steve Conway, presenter of "Random Access" on Sunday evenings, has an English-sounding accent. I suspect he is in fact Irish, but I'm not certain on that fact. He was involved with both Irish and British pirates, including Radio Caroline.

Hi Declan.

You're right, I'm Irish with a bit of an English accent - emigrated at 19 and picked up the accent sometime during my 16 years in the UK. Airchecks from the Caroline era (87-91) see me with an Irish accent, so I can only assume I picked it up in the 90s when I was married to an English woman and living in Surrey.

I'm in the strange position now that English people feel I'm Irish, and Irish people feel I'm English - so I guess you could call it an International Waters accent :-)

Steve Conway
    http://steveconway.wordpress.com

Apologies if anyone is unfamiliar with the word chav. To translate I mean essentially knacker, yob, lout, gob****e in a bulldog T shirt and burburryesque baseball cap with one flourescent yellow gold earing swilling beer singing Rule Britannia and throwing up over one of his mates.

That's Onslow to a tee all right.

Poor Mrs Bucket.

Oops ! I meant to say "Poor Mrs Bouquay". (RP)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Wertz wrote: »
    Been offline for a few days so not been able to reply to some of the posts...

Femmy: I assume local radio in Cork? Sorry, not managed to tune that in up this way but like the guy from Phantom shows there are exceptions to my perceptions and like I said, feel free to point out where I'm wrong or have missed something.

Firstly, I take it that I am "the guy from Phantom": I wish! Just a radio fan.

Secondly, fate intervened this week. Phantom has commenced its new morning to lunch weekday schedule and Neil Austin is no longer presenting. I'm not clear as yet if he is still there in the background, but the point is that he cannot be heard regularly anymore. So Phantom have one English broadcaster now, that I know of: Ritchie Ryan on Saturday afternoons.

And "Aquavid" has confirmed in another post here that he (Steve Conway) is in fact Irish. Interesting angle on the whole accent thing, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

I'm not seeing this as a problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Pgibson wrote: »
    The real question is "How come Dubliners are so hung up on "British" everything?"

We are surrounded by Iceland,Norway,Denmark, Holland, Belgium,France etc..etc...

Yet Dubliners,who rule this country, can see no further than the UK,to whom they look up to.....and suck up to.

I have never seen or heard a news item from Iceland on Irish television or radio.

Its only "up the road" from us in the North Atlantic but it might as well be on the far side of the moon.

Culturally we are still slaves to the British.

I think that sums up nicely why there are only a few british presenters on the radio.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think that sums up nicely why there are only a few british presenters on the radio.:rolleyes:

I listen to REAL British presenters on BBC radio 4 because of the pretend British accents all over RTE Radio 1 advertisments.
    (Even the RTE 1 weather forecast is now introduced with that accent.)

Out in the country its far far far worse...Every radio station has "Country and Irish" music....Irish people singing with pretend American accents.

A Kerryman singing in a Tennessee accent is even worse than a Dublin Northsider trying to speak in an Oxbridge or Estuary accent.

No wonder the British stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I listen to REAL British presenters on BBC radio 4 because of the pretend British accents all over RTE Radio 1 advertisments.

Out in the country its far far far worse...Every radio station has "Country and Irish" music....Irish people singing with pretend American accents.

A Kerryman singing in a Tennessee accent is even worse than a Dublin Northsider trying to speak in an Oxbridge or Estuary accent.

Maybe we could have an American presenter on a South Dublin radio station. Then we would have REAL Californian accents to listen to :D

I only really listen to Newstalk and the lads on there are great. there are a few English guys do bits on off the ball as well.

do you listen to Radio 4 on BAD or normal radio?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So eh...just to get this straight. This post and the post of yours that Fratton quoted...how do they reconcile themselves?

Naturally enough we have more in common with British culture than say...Iceland. But if it's not about proximity of cultures influencing another why not cast the net further? Iran? Vietnam? I've seen French and german tv comedy and my I say from a personal point of view that if as pointed out that 'we are slaves to British culture'(by my I say someone who appears enslaved) then let the bondage continue. Oh dear such cruel overlords! (Where aparrently 'it's no wonder they stay away'. Absentee influencers replacing the absentee landlords?).

humberklog wrote: »
    we have more in common with British culture than say...Iceland.

That's NOT what the British think!

"The Irish," proclaimed Benjamin Disraeli, Queen Victoria's beloved prime minister, "hate our order, our civilization, our enterprising industry, our pure religion. This wild, reckless, indolent, uncertain and superstitious race have no sympathy with the English character. Their ideal of human felicity is an alternation of clannish broils and coarse idolatry. Their history describes an unbroken circle of bigotry and blood."

The British disown any cultural connection to us "Paddies".

humberklog wrote: »
    Let the bondage continue!
    Slavery indeed.

Another Quote:

The British historian Charles Kingsley's reaction to the famine-induced destitution he witnessed in Victorian Ireland: "I am daunted by the human chimpanzees I saw along that hundred miles of horrible country. I don't believe they are our fault . I believe that there are not only many more of them than of old, but that they are happier, better and more comfortably fed and lodged under our rule than they ever were. But to see white chimpanzees is dreadful; if they were black, one would not feel it so much, but their skins, except where tanned by exposure, are as white as ours."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Slavery indeed.

Another Quote:

The British historian Charles Kingsley's reaction to the famine-induced destitution he witnessed in Victorian Ireland: "I am daunted by the human chimpanzees I saw along that hundred miles of horrible country. I don't believe they are our fault . I believe that there are not only many more of them than of old, but that they are happier, better and more comfortably fed and lodged under our rule than they ever were. But to see white chimpanzees is dreadful; if they were black, one would not feel it so much, but their skins, except where tanned by exposure, are as white as ours."

:rolleyes: What does that have to do with the thread ? If people witnessed the Nazis doing something in the early 1940s it would hardly reflect how they view a current German person ?

There are lots of pros and cons and reasons to have an open discussion and answer the question without resorting to "let's drag-the-sorry-history-debate back up" !!!

And if you're trying to squeeze it in under the umbrella that someone once thought the cultures completely different; well back then there was no TV, almost no radio, no "reality" TV, no consumerism or globalisation, etc, etc and no Americanisation of Ireland. So things have changed an AWFUL lot since that was said (however true or otherwise it might have been at the time).

But if you want to go down that road, I'll throw in this one;

"Irish and British people have LOADS in common since both races are descended from Adam & Eve"

Now, having established that, can we get back on-topic, please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Slavery indeed.

Another Quote:

This is the radio forum. R-A-D-I-O. I'm not saying that you don't make an interesting argument, I'm telling you that this is not the place for it, ok? We've let a couple of these comments go, but this is that last one. Ok?

Ok. Ok.

Irish radio is not very inviting to ANY foreigner..

The whining and whinging on Joe Duffy's and Marion Finicane's shows are a bit of a turn-off.

BBC Radio 4 and BBC World Service are world class radio stations.

The new Irish station "Newstalk" isnt bad though.

(I cannot speak for "popular culture" stations ...the ones which cope for the under-educated.).

Advertisement