Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPod Touch - location via wifi?

• 16-07-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭

I've asked this question before on the mobiles/pda forum and I don't really intend to cross-post per se. However, for iPod touch owners...
    Have you managed to get the Maps application (and now other 2.0 native apps) to recognize your location based on the built in technology which uses nearby wifi routers to triangulate your position ?

Someone on another forum said they got it working with their home wifi router.
    My work & home routers are Eircom and the touch doesn't recognize my location. I submitted my router details last night to Skyhook (the US company which provides the pseudo-GPS solution which allows a sort of loose location determination).

Just wondering if anyone has managed to use this feature without registering their location in Ireland ?

--Ian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

afaik it can't be done with wifi only gps and gprs/3g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I have been located in Dublin, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur correctly on my Wifi / iPod touch.

Guess it depends on what is being disclosed by your connection to Skyhook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Wrong (I think).

I believe it can be done with wifi only and I think if you volunteer your wifi router details to skyhook eventually it should work.
    However, someone on the mobile forum claimed they got it to work on an iPod touch without having registered. They surmised that maybe the ISP IP-address may have been used to determine location. Doubtful.. though, I'd say...

-Ian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I've got it workng no problem on my touch out in Long Island on 1.1.4, I think there's just crap coverage in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

This works perfectly for me, but ironically only in work (with a BT Voyager) but never Eircom Netopia routers. Depends on the router I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Never had much luck with it here. The animation just keeps going for ages but doesn't come up with any indication of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

I have tried it too but to no avvail and i have a fairly good broadband connection....maybe it just doesnt like me?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

sorry for that question but how does my WIFI router my geographical position and how is google maps getting to know this? via IP tracert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Just wondering but is there any real reason why you would want to locate your position via WiFi other than just being able to look at a map for a few seconds and say oh look there is my house?

I would have thought the purpose of this was for when you were lost in a car etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Mr.S wrote: »
    i guess if your out in say a city, and your lost and theres free wifi, you can see where you are?
    Whatever happened to the days of going out getting lost just for an adventure, or asking for directions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I need this feature to work so I can access MLBs at Bat app, which needs to determine location to see if you're allowed to access the baseball games or you're in a blackout zone. Currently having no luck, I'll give ntl a shout tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just wondering but is there any real reason why you would want to locate your position via WiFi other than just being able to look at a map for a few seconds and say oh look there is my house?

I would have thought the purpose of this was for when you were lost in a car etc

There are plenty of reasons, one is the location in a new city or place simply for directions. But its far more useful to find the nearest chinese/gym/cinema/park/football pitch etc, If you travel alot its useful. You do this through maps or add on programs

I've been able to use it in almost every location (ie wifi zone) outside of ireland. I only ever tried my house in ireland, so could be a skyhook/eircom problem. But that said its not that useful when used at home.

Advertisement