Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil fired burner locked

Options
  • 16-07-2008 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I ran out of oil and today and got a refill. However burner will not fire and I suspect I have an airlock. It is a Reillo pump and have been reading here how to unlock and have tried with no success. I have done the following - have opened an allen screw on the very left ( this was a plastic screw) fired it and nothing happened, no air no oil no nothing. Also there is a nut right at the bottom which I opened, fired ,again nothing. I did also open the pressure gauge bar with an allen key- oil did shoot out but after a number of refires that too stopped. Has anyone and further help they can give me. I am guessing that oil is not getting to the burner at all. I have a valve (non return?) beside burner - basically a little brass closed cup with a little black nipple on the top which i can pull up and makes a click b4 it falls back down again - could the airlock be in it?

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I ran out of oil and today and got a refill. However burner will not fire and I suspect I have an airlock. It is a Reillo pump and have been reading here how to unlock and have tried with no success. I have done the following - have opened an allen screw on the very left ( this was a plastic screw) fired it and nothing happened, no air no oil no nothing. Also there is a nut right at the bottom which I opened, fired ,again nothing. I did also open the pressure gauge bar with an allen key- oil did shoot out but after a number of refires that too stopped. Has anyone and further help they can give me. I am guessing that oil is not getting to the burner at all. I have a valve (non return?) beside burner - basically a little brass closed cup with a little black nipple on the top which i can pull up and makes a click b4 it falls back down again - could the airlock be in it?

John

If the valve you are talking about is a fire valve, and if it drops down, then it is shutting off and won't let oil through.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Is the little brass cup the oil filter? Is there a bolt at the bottom? Your filter may be clogged if oil ran low ( sediment in tank ). If its not the oil filter and is the fire valve there should be a sensor coming out of it. Find the filter anyway and flush it out. Dont keep firing up the boiler 'dry". Dont bleed the system while it is running. Oil should flow freely before tightening screw and firing up.

For info on Reillo burners Go here and look under BURNER PARTS DRAWINGS.

I cant imagine the mystery object is the oil valve in the photos ( I have one on my Aga, pic 2). If it is you need to reset the lever (unlocks the float inside).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Good suss! :)

Advertisement