Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus 6kgs Cabin Baggage

Options
  • 16-07-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've seen some chat on the boards complaining about the 6kgs cabin baggage requirement already. What I'm wondering is if anyone has had the experience of having their cabin baggage weighed AFTER the gate...

I'm flying to Zurich tomorrow with Aer Lingus and I haven't booked any check-in bags because the prices are extortionate. I've already checked in online so I'll just head straight to the gate with my slightly overweight cabin bag. Will I get away with it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

margface wrote: »
    I've seen some chat on the boards complaining about the 6kgs cabin baggage requirement already. What I'm wondering is if anyone has had the experience of having their cabin baggage weighed AFTER the gate...

I'm flying to Zurich tomorrow with Aer Lingus and I haven't booked any check-in bags because the prices are extortionate. I've already checked in online so I'll just head straight to the gate with my slightly overweight cabin bag. Will I get away with it?
    I'm interested in this as well. THeres mention on line of having a carry-on tag on bags when you check in.

I'll be going soon with bags that are 3cm too high at one point but the right weight.
    6Kg is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

I "got away with it" on a 7kg bag flying to munich 6 weeks ago. no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 margface

Good to hear it. I just reweighed my bags and it turns out I was looking at the lbs dial instead of the kgs (...?) so I'm a whole lot less worried about it than I was half an hour ago!

I still wonder if they can check the bags after you pass through the gate. If not, checking in online is a nifty way to avoid the weight requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

Do this each time I travel, (Aer Lingus,BA,Ryanair,Swiss,EasyJet etc) my carry-on bag is just under the size limitations but can weigh upto 20kg, As long as you're checked in online no one will ever know. Make sure you not the last to board as lack of overhead space is a real killer. I like easy jets policy with hand luggage, can be heavy as you like (within reason!) as long as you can put it away without help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have never had any problem with the weight. If you are stuck you can put the bag under the seat in front of you if there is no room left in the overhead bin. If it's carry on size it should fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've never had a problem. I usually catch the 6:40 am Heathrow on a Monday morning and some of the bags you see going in the lockers are huge and the way people struggle they must be over 6 kilos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Ryanair don't weigh either when you check in online and they have an almost generous 10kg. I honestly don't think they have the facility to check the weight airside. So it seems to be a perk of sorts for those who check in online. The limit is a bluff. Easyjet have the most sensible attitude. They don't care as long it's within reason. But leave the diving weights at home.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You need to beware of the checkin agenrs in the UK and in Europe who get you to weigh your carry on bag when you check in. 100g over and they make you check it in. There is nothing to stop you buying all manner of crap after security which will force you over the limit, so the nazi like enforcement of the hand baggage limits by check in agents is pointless.

As said earlier check in online and no one will ever know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've had hand luggage weighed on
    Air France and Lufthansa.
    I've also seen hand luggage weighed on charters.
    I haven't seen AL weighing it - yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

AL operations outside of Ireland used to routinely weigh hand luggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I have dumbbells in germany that I want to bring home tomorrow morning. Does anyone know would security stop them for a) the weight and/or b) them seen as a weapon or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

The hand luggage allowance has been increased to 10kg!! Finally :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fashionista911

I think It depends who you meet at the check in :

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

number10a wrote: »
    The hand luggage allowance has been increased to 10kg!! Finally :pac:
    Finally, at least now they have some sort of edge over Ryanair with getting a little extra. I wonder are they going to lower their 20KG baggage to 15KG though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

axer wrote: »
    Finally, at least now they have some sort of edge over Ryanair with getting a little extra. I wonder are they going to lower their 20KG baggage to 15KG though.

I don't think so. I got a promotional email from them the other day that advertises their baggage allowance in a yellow banner as 20kg + 10kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

cp251 wrote: »
    Ryanair don't weigh either when you check in online and they have an almost generous 10kg. I honestly don't think they have the facility to check the weight airside. So it seems to be a perk of sorts for those who check in online. The limit is a bluff. Easyjet have the most sensible attitude. They don't care as long it's within reason. But leave the diving weights at home.:P

I was going through Alicante airport yesterday and Ryanair were weighing all carry at the boarding gate except for handbags, there were charging 35E to anyone that was over the 10kg allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Ryanair were weighing carry on baggage at the gate in Cork a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I only had my hand luggage weighed once in London by Aer Lingus (I was eight so it was years ago.) Other than that I have never been questioned on it but I always make sure it is within the size limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ruby21

Ryanair keep scales at the gates for the hand luggage (in Cork anyway) and tills up there to take payment, and EVERYTHING has to be in that one bag even stuff you buy at duty free!

• Advertisement
Advertisement