Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions

Options
  • 16-07-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Rather than starting two seperate threads I'll keep them in one.

Firstly, my parents and baby sister have a jack russel, a real little pet who lives indoors and during the day does be in and out (enclosed garden and house). A few days ago a neighbour came into the garden without permission and the dog went for him, he did not bite, but snapped at his ankles. There was nobody in the garden when he was walking in, and he did not walk to the door, but straight into the garden shed, which is where the dog snapped. Anyway, my mother came out and gave out to the dog, put him in. Few days later, my little sister was in the garden with the dog, and the neighbour, who's 15 came in again and the dog growled. My sister put him in the house and the boy told her that he was going to call the guards and report the dog as viscious. Since then my poor little sister has been worried that they could take the dog. I don't think they can, am I right?

Another question: I recently rescued a boxer, handed her over to a rescue. Got a call from the new owners today saying that the rescue took money for vet fees from them. But when the new owners contacted the vet they were told that they did not vax the dog (which is what the money was for). They contacted the rescue who told them that I had owned the dog and wanted rid of her, that I had gotten her vaxed. This is all a lie. She was aware of the circumstances of me finding the dog, and knew I had not vaxed her. Is there anywhere I can report this. She is took this dog in, got nothing done to her, charged the new owners. Only for the fact the new owners are good enough to check, they would not have known that their dog was not vaxed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

First of all that kid is trespassing if he's not being invited in. If he's on the property without permission then I'm not sure he'd have a leg to stand on.

Secondly I'm not sure what you can do but if anyone is thinking of handing a dog over to a rescue then please please please make sure you know who you're dealing with. Check them out, contact the main rescues (alot of them post on PI) and ask them to vouch for that person. Here in cyberspace you can never tell a persons true intentions, that's why it's so very important that you find out who you're dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

Agree with Toulouse , who is the Rescue ? A one woman show ?
    Is the rescue a registered charity or a reputable volantary/ well known rescue?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Would rather not name the charity at the moment as I'm just dealing with a "he said- she said" situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I have beware of dogs signs up with enter at your own risk, if people want to come onto my property without prior notice they may get a bit of a fright lol.
    Just tell them for now to keep a close eye on the dog and not to let the dog out the front garden unsupervised.
    If anyone complains and it's the dog warden they are supposed to call not the guards then they can explain things to the warden and tell the warden that they are willing to keep the dog more under control and willing to put up signs, lock the gate and put a door bell by the gate etc and that should solve the problem.
    There needs to be a warning on the gate though so people can visably see if they want to enter the house uninvited they enter at their own risk.
    Tbh not sure how far that complaint could go but a padlock on the gate and a sign is a start to cover themselves if it happens again.

Not all rescues vac the animals but it they said they did then I would at least contact the rescue again and complain just so they know and hopefully it won't happen again. No idea who you could complain to other than that the SPCA perhaps. Or perhaps there was miscommunication somewhere down the line but vaccinations are so important I wouldn't take this lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Just asking the question Helena, did they not look for the vaccination card then, when they adopted the dog? Or perhaps they didn't know to ask for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

boomerang wrote: »
    Just asking the question Helena, did they not look for the vaccination card then, when they adopted the dog? Or perhaps they didn't know to ask for it?
    They asked for a vax card, and the resucue lady said it was still in the vets, so she would go up and get it and post it on. Few weeks later, no sign of the card. So they called the Vet the rescue claimed to have used and was told that they did see the dog but did not vax her, worm her, flea her etc. Just a general check up.

So new owners rang, thinking they may have getten the wrong vet, and apparently got abuse from this woman, who told them that it was my responsibility to get her vaxed as she was my dog (she was not, she was a stray who I picked up, and the rescue was well aware of this). I had also apparently told rescue I had gotten her vaxed. Which I hadn't, and we actually spoke about how much it would cost for the rescue to get it done so she knew I hadn't gotten it done. She tried to make me out to be the owner and that I just didn't give a sh!t, which really upset me. I devote a lot of my time and money to trying to help out in cases like this so to be made out to be one of those owners is horrible for me.

The new owners, on advice of the rescue rang me and the man was (understandably) very irate and frustrated at this stage. Took us a while to figure out that the rescue had been telling lies about me. He thougt I was the owner.

Apparently he came home to his wife, she was very upset due to what the "lady" in the rescue said to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

If the Jack Russell didn't actually bite yer man, then he'd be laughed out of the Garda station - you can't brand a dog as vicious just because it growled at you. If he starts rattling his sabre again, tell him you'll be making a counter-complaint to the police about his continued trespassing.

As for the "rescue" - this woman sounds as dodgy as a three pound note. Any reputable rescue will not just vax but will spay/neuter before they rehome any dog. I would ring her and ask for an an explanation and if none is forthcoming, report her to the closest SPCA and ask them to keep an eye on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Helena I have a fair idea of the rescue you are talking about and that rescue was set up on a whim - the person appears to be taking in ALOT of dogs - all pedigrees and not just the breed specific that the rescue refers to. Alot of people have concerns over the actions of the person. The dogs are moved on be it "sold" or "adopted" with little if any back up if anything goes wrong.

It most certainly was not fair that you were put in that situation after all, all you did was try and do right by the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The Jack Russell: put up 'Beware of the Dog' signs, and also drum it into everyone in the family that *anyone* coming into the garden for the first time must be introduced to the dog, so he knows who's a friend.

He shouldn't be out there by himself at any time, for his own safety as much as anything else - people do steal dogs.

I'd find out clearly what exactly a neighbour thought he was doing walking into your private shed in any case.

As for the 'rescue', I'd be inclined to send a registered letter to the woman requesting your vaccination fees back. If she's abusive, maybe you should call the vet and find out if she's bringing many dogs in to them for 'a general checkup' - without making any slanderous statements, mind!

After that, you'll have to think about what to do. If you have real, solid, incontrovertible evidence that this woman is acting as a rescue organisation while - in effect - defrauding people of money for vaccinations, you might make a complaint to the Gardai.

I suppose it's a question of what's going to happen to the animals. If you find out that she'd give animals to anyone - puppy mills, dog fighters, anyone - then of course you should take it further.

On the other hand, if she's just an eejit with a loose-ish sense of morals about other people's money, but she's doing good for the dogs, maybe you shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

some rescues do the vaccinations themselves to save on veterinary bill. I don't know if this is a good practice but it can save the rescue a lot of money. If this is the case I doubt that the 'rescue' can provide a vaccination card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement