Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To earth or not ?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Many years ago I put up an external 500w floodlight (not a PIR security light) controlled by a switch.

It is located under the eaves of a 2 storey house.

I used 3 core outdoor spec. cable and tied the earth in with the other earth connections back at the board. Subsequently, the house was rewired. I discovered to-day that the electrician who did the rewire disconnected the earth connection for the floodlight.

The light fitting cannot be accessed except by a double ladder. When I change the bulb I switch off the relevant circuit breaker anyway even though the light is controlled through a switch.

Should a floodlight or a security light be earthed or not ?

Daft though this might sound I am now wondering if an external light fitting mounted under the eaves could act as a lightning conductor if the earth is tied in to the domestic wiring ? If so, is it better left unearthed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Any item which has an earth terminal supplied by the manufacturer, for the purpose of earthing, must be earthed.

A bolt of lightning will probably have a better route to earth through the body of your house than a 1.5mm earth and anyhow it has the route to earth via the existing neutral in the light.

If an earth was left out after a rewire, it's often a cowboy route to stop an RCD tripping, though lighting shouldn't be on an RCD circuit, but your light could be spurred off an RCD circuit, but that's all second-guessing.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement