Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need some advice on Peugots....

Options
  • 16-07-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I bought my first car in February, it was an 03 Renault Clio, and had nothing but electrical trouble from it for the past 5 months, and only just got my refund from the garage.. anyway i was thinking of what car i'd get and just found an 03 black 5 door Peugot 307. Does anyone have one? And if u do what do u think of it? I test drove one there last week and found i had to put the accelorater down a lot before i could move off? Is this normal for a peugot?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you've an experience of unreliability and want to move away from it, I'd suggest you look at a Japanese car. Leave the Frenchies out of it for a car or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I'd recommend something like a honda or a toyota. You'll pay a bit more for thm or go a year or so older for the same money but you'll easily save it over a year or two after repair bills, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

hmm yeah i was thinking about a honda civic.. but i havent seen many nice ones in garages. any thoughts on buying private? or any garages that do just hondas? Toyotas are a bit pricey... I was gonna go for a corolla hatchback..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

i hve a high powered peugeot GTI and love it, but honestly for the ordinary stuff stay a mile away, there made of cheese and the dealers are the worst in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Mazda 3 maybe, or the Skoda Fabia or even Octavia are good value and fairly reliable (pretty much the same mechanicals as VW)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've always been drawn to unreliable cars, but an early 307 would be too much even for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

suraheg wrote: »
    I bought my first car in February, it was an 03 Renault Clio, and had nothing but electrical trouble from it for the past 5 months, and only just got my refund from the garage.. anyway i was thinking of what car i'd get and just found an 03 black 5 door Peugot 307. Does anyone have one? And if u do what do u think of it? I test drove one there last week and found i had to put the accelorater down a lot before i could move off? Is this normal for a peugot?

Thanks

You'll be going from something that generally is reliable(not in your case I admit) to something that is known far and wide for being one of the most unreliable cars of this decade, up there with the Laguna II and Megane II for sheer unreliability.

The reason it's so slow(well you implied it needed plenty of welly to do the most mundane of tasks) is because it's probably a 1.4 you drove. 1.4s in that size of car have all the performance properties of a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@OP - what do you want in a car? Do you want it to be a stylish and chic statement, do you want to enjoy driving it, or do you just want it to move from A to B. In the latter case, you should consider a Toyota Corolla or some such vehicle

Had to laugh at some of the responses in this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

unkel wrote: »
    Had to laugh at some of the responses in this thread :)

We was only tryin' our best Unkel, I promise we was!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

E92 wrote: »
    The reason it's so slow(well you implied it needed plenty of welly to do the most mundane of tasks) is because it's probably a 1.4 you drove. 1.4s in that size of car have all the performance properties of a bus.

I'm only guessing now, but i've driven many a Peugeot and i'd say what he is reffering to is the fact the there's a very long ould clutch of all the Peugeots. I could be wrong. Any1 else who has driven Peugeot's short term should know what i'm talkin about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2001 to late 2003 Peug 307 1.4 was the old 8 valve unit which only had around 75bhp, it was dog slow. Later 1.4 litre 307 had the 90bhp 16 valve versions. But to the honest the Clio is generally a good little reliable car and I'd say you just bought a lemmon. The early 307s on the other hand are notorious for being blighted by electrical problems so I would avoid them on your past troubles.

If you want something similar in size to the Clio then have a look at the Ford Fiesta, nice car to drive, parts and servicing are generally cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'm only guessing now, but i've driven many a Peugeot and i'd say what he is reffering to is the fact the there's a very long ould clutch of all the Peugeots. I could be wrong. Any1 else who has driven Peugeot's short term should know what i'm talkin about.

Fair enough, I've never driven a Pug(perhaps you knew that already:D), but a little tip on the accelerator should be enough to get a car going on the flat at least. I know from driving various cars that of course the clutch bites at different times; I drove a Skoda Fabia and the clutch would bite quite close to the floor in that, on the other hand a Volvo S40's biting point isn't until the clutch is nearly fully out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Thanks

Nice cars the french ones but are near bottom in reliabilty league. Even lower that alfas!
    I have a renault megane and it cost me alot to sort out the electrics recently, basically the immobiliser went faulty causing the engine to cut out. Had to disable the immobiliser as a new one cost over a grand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I have a renault megane and it cost me alot to sort out the electrics recently, basically the immobiliser went faulty causing the engine to cut out. Had to disable the immobiliser as a new one cost over a grand.

I hope the car isn't stolen as a result. Insurance wise they could refuse to pay a theft claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Thanks

I drove a 2002 307 1.4HDI for 2 years and have since passed it onto my wife which she is currently driving.The car has 117k miles on the clock and we have never had an ounce of trouble with it. Mind you I keep it well maintained and serviced according to the service schedule.It's the XS model with plenty of gadgets and very comfortable. The dealers are very helpful and not as costly as servicing as other brands

You'll always have people bad mouthing the 307 but for me I can't complain about it.What about the Gerrman cars for reliabilty- Mercedes, VW, Audi etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I had 3 Japanese cars in the past but I now drive a Peugeot. I will never buy a French car again. German or Japanese next for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Moanin wrote: »
    The dealers are very helpful and not as costly as servicing as other brands

I found them expensive and creative with the recommended service intervals (in their favour). I also noticed that services were more expensive when my wife dropped the car in.... They may be cheaper than VW dealers for servicing but there are better and cheaper options for servicing out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Wow.. thanks for all the replies.. probably not gonna go for a 307 anymore! But i'm still really undecided. I want something that looks half decent.. I have about 8000.. and i really have no clue what to get.. Im kinda edging towards another clio but kinda reluctant seeing as what happened to the last one. I don't have a clue what to go with!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Whoa, my brother's been offered a 2001 307 1.4 for €2500... now I know why! Will have to convince him out of this one too... last week he had a hankering for an Alfa 156 until he asked a 156 driver if he'd had any problems. The guy's reply? "€3000 worth of repairs in 3 months." :eek:

I do so love Boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet: http://www.crushmy307.co.uk/

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Wow.. thanks for all the replies.. probably not gonna go for a 307 anymore! But i'm still really undecided. I want something that looks half decent.. I have about 8000.. and i really have no clue what to get.. Im kinda edging towards another clio but kinda reluctant seeing as what happened to the last one. I don't have a clue what to go with!!

Look at the brands that consistently finish at the top of the JD power surveys and pick something that fits your budget and driving needs from that and fingers crossed you wont go too wrong.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008047

As you can see Frenchies and Italians dont do well in it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Clio is surprisingly good for a Renault. I wouldn't replace it with a 307 though. €8000 gets you some tasty cars these days. don't limit yourself to 1.4 litre hatchbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pretty_laura

Hi, my first ever post:)

I'm thinking of buying a 206 as a first car. Are there any problems with used cars to be aware of? Also wheres the best sites to search for them? I've looked at cbg and buyandsell so far.

Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Nicknax

I drive a 307 1.4 HDI, 02 with 85odd thousand miles on the clock.
    I have had it bout 18mths and had no major hassle with it.

I bought it privately and it has a FSH so I took it to the local dealer to check it over. They told me I would need to have the timig belt changed soon as it was nearing the end of its days, that was in April 07 and I am just after getting it done, for my own piece of mind more thatn anything.

The 307 is very comfortable and roomy inside. It has all the little extra's and its perfect for me.
    I was cautious when getting it because of the mixed reviews but I am glad I bought it as its great.

Thats my 2 cents anyway, happy motoring in whatever you choose.

Advertisement