Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking issues

Options
  • 16-07-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ok I put together my new rig in the last couple of days and I bought the thing with the full intention of OCing the bejeebus out of it.

I'm new enough to overclocking but I have read about every guide I've found over the last couple of weeks to get it right.

But I'm stumped.

Rig:
    Intel q6700 G0 2.67
    MSI x48 Platinum
    4GB of OCZ XTC pc12800 DDR3
    2x MSI HD4850 on CF
    Corsair 650w PSU
    Antec 900 case
    Zalman CN7900 fan
    Samsung F1 750GB HD
    HD-DVD and BluRay combo drive

So I have some OCing potential. I'm ultimately looking to hit 3.6 with as high an fsb as possible. 8x multiplier with 450 fsb is my target. And I don't think that is seriously high. Cetainly temperatures are not an issue and the mainboard should be able to handle it easily.

So I've taken it to 8x450 POST easily enough with the following settings

8-8-8-20 N2
    1:1 memory ratio
    Vcore 1.4000
    Mem voltage: 1.75
    FSB termination: 1.39
    NB voltage: 1.42
    SB voltage: 1.53
    CPU reference voltage: auto
    Mem reference voltage: auto
    Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Now I can't get it to load vista. Reading up on it I'm guessing that my memory voltage is too low, but here's the kicker:

I cant set my memory voltage past 1.75 even with stock everything else. Won't load windows. The memory stock is 1.5 but it's warrantied to 1.9 so I assume I can take it that high easily enough. But as soon as I touch the memory voltage over 1.75 it freezes in the POST (at ICH or DDR3 on the led indicator.)

So this memory is bugging me. I'm running the machine stably right now at 3.2 with 10x320 and everything else optimised defaults. And the auto memory fsb ratio is taking my memory down to 5:8. If I force 1:2 and 1280 the machine halts within 2 minutes.

This memory is rated to 1600 6-6-6-15!

So, am I way off with the memory guess? Is there another issue or setting that is holding me back?

The only other settings I can see that may be relevant are Hyper threading, execute bit support, High Precision Event Timers, and DRAM data integrity mode which I've all pretty much ignored.

Please someone enlighten me, I'm pulling my already scarce hair out. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What about the rest of the voltages? Are they stock?

If not list us the current stock values and ill advise from there. But you should be able to hit 3.6 no probs. Also what are the temps like on idle/load?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

They are all the voltages I have ...

The CPU was running on 1.35 with vcore set to auto and the memorys stock voltage is 1.5.

As for the rest I don't really know. They are either auto and hidden or what I have listed above. How do I find out?

At 3.2 right now I'm running at 34 idle and 54 full load. So lots of room.

That board has a plethora of voltage option, fsb, nb, sb, cpu etc etc. You need to explore your bios. Pushing to 3.2 on standard clocks is good going, but to go further you will need to up the rest of the voltages, while your at it get the latest bios.

Aye, I'll get the lastest BIOS when I get home.

I'm also going to try disabling all the added extras like DRAM data integrity.

But basically, not being able to up the memory voltage is my real issue right now. I'll play around with it anyway but it's a damn shame there are not more documented OCs on this particular MB.

I'll post updates on how I get on. :)

there are loads. check out www.xtremesystems.org/forums

Well, when its bakc online anyway

• Advertisement

I just noticed on komplett that my memory is actually rated at 7-7-7-24 ...

The MB is running it at 7-6-6-15. Maybe that's my issue. I was relaxing to 8-8-8-20. Maybe I should be looking at 8-8-8-30. I wonder would that effect the amount of voltage I can pump into it?

I'm theorising anyway. I'll give it a whirl when I'm home.

OK I have the machine going here for about 30 mins at 8x440 and I'm hoping that's stable. The magic 8x450 is eluding me right now but I've noticed something else.

I have vcore set to 1.5 at the moment and cpu-z is reading 1.44 back at me.

What the hell is holding back my voltage?

It couldn't be my 650w PSU could it?

I have EIST (Speedstep) disabled.

Why am I only at 1.44? :(

* Reminds self of Vdroop

Still, 1.5 - 1.44 is a hell of a drop. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Whats your stock NB voltage? I'd make sure to up this a little. V important when pushing the fsb.

More then likely cpu=z is reading it a little wrong, but there is some vdoop probably 0.3v or so. Also, i just googled your mobo, and there are a load of guides.

• Advertisement

OK the memory is really bugging me.

I've set the fsb to a mere 320 using x9 multiplier cpu@2880 simply to test the memory at 1280.

I've relaxed timings to 8-8-8-24 and set voltage at 1.53 but still nothing. This memory is causing me some real heartache.

I think I saw a review of a MSI x48 somewhere that said they were having problems with their memory too and managed to fix it having spoken to an MSI dude. But I can't find it now. :(

Am I right in saying that that example above should work?

Also, I can find a few mxi x48 guides but none of them mention numbers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Msi mobo's aren't really known for performance or overclocking abilities, you could just be at the limit of the mobo.

Also 1.5v is very low for the ram, ive mine running at 1.9v. Try going to 1.65v.

This MSI is grand for overclocking. Lots of very good examples.

None of them with any detail of voltages though. :(

I was only running the ram at 1.53 to see if I could hit 1280. Maybe that's still too low.

And with the stable 8x440 I have my mem voltage at 1.67.

I'd say to get to 8x450 I'll have to raise the voltage a little. To get the memory even close to 1600 I'll have to raise it to at least 1.9.

Thing is though if I raise it to 1.72 it wont post. Anything over 1.67 and it won't post. Even with everything running at stock it won't go over 1.67.

Have I a faulty MB or something?

Advertisement