Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Dance tunes by BBC radio 2 listeners

Options
  • 16-07-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭

What do you reckon ? Ignoring the order I like the top 3 and s'express but the rest do nothing for me. I'd prefer soul II soul "Back to Life" rather than keep on movin'. This kind of stuff is totally subjective anyway but I'd prefer to see blue monday/ adamski killer off the top of my head.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7507218.stm

TOP 10 DANCE RECORDS
    1. Billie Jean
    - Michael Jackson (1983)
    2. I Feel Love
    - Donna Summer (1977)
    3. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine
    - James Brown (1970)
    4. Strings Of Life
    - Rhythim Is Rhythim (1987)
    5. Where Love Lives
    - Alison Limerick (1994)
    6. Keep On Movin'
    - Soul II Soul (1989)
    7. Can You Feel It
    - Fingers Inc. (1988)
    8. Big Fun
    -Inner City (1988)
    9. Theme From S'Express
    - S'Express (1988)
    10. Key To My Happiness
    - The Charades (1966)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

A radio 2 poll - for listeners who remember the mid 80's fondly. surely the generation xers among us would have seen the 90's properly represented? where oh where daft punk, leftfield, the chemical brothers, the prodigy, the shamen, oakenfold et al - damn am I showing my age now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

87-89 seems to be well represented :) probably says more about radio 2 listeners than anything else. Alison Limerick to represent the 90's :D. 10 is too little anyone. To be done right it would want to be 50/100 songs

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

50/100 - now theres a challenge, given the short term memory loss issues associated with dance music followers in recent years! Nice idea all the same - now feel the urge to abandon assignment due tomorrow and trawl i-pod and box of tapes/records (remember them?) in search of hidden gems and forgotten memories. Curse this interweb invention for leading me astray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Radio 2 - at the cutting edge of dance! :P

Chirst Ken Bruce and Jimmy Young must be spinning (if they are dead).

Donna Summer should be number 1 of course.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No 808 State? No Monday's? Pah!! I'm happy enought with no.6 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Thats a ****ing shocking list so heres mine!

(1) New Order - Blue Monday
    (2) 808 State - Pacific State
    (3) Stakker - Stakker Humanoid
    (4) Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea (12"Original)
    (5) Josh Wink - Higher State of Conciousnes
    (6) Chemical Brothers - Out of Control
    (7) Donna Summer - I feel Love
    (8) Sasha &; Emerson - Scorchio
    (9) Happy Mondays - Hallelujah (Oakenfold/Weatherall 12" Mix)
    (10) Shakedown - At Night

Aw great list pal, couldn't have made a better one!! I will buy any record you release!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

At least Groove Is In The Heart (DeeeLite) isn't in there. God I really hate that tune!

I remember the video for that, very colourfull

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

mental07 wrote: »
    At least Groove Is In The Heart (DeeeLite) isn't in there. God I really hate that tune!
    Whooooa. Janey that'd be top of list here. A true milestone of a tune when there wasn't a whole heap going on at that time in that genre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I cant get no sleep

445d62e89da0a76bc42c5110._AA240_.L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ice_Box wrote: »
    I cant get no sleep

445d62e89da0a76bc42c5110._AA240_.L.jpg

Great memories from when this came out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

damn right more recent tunes need to be in there (and great to see Shakedown in somebodys list back there - i thought i was the only person who liked it!) but don't diss Billy Jean.

I know it's not cool. I know it's not 450bpm. I know it's not a regular at the cool clubs, but as a blueprint for classic four on the floor beat, and a funky bassline it's still unparallelled.

Now playing: The Traveling Wilburys - Not Alone Anymore
    via FoxyTunes

damn right more recent tunes need to be in there (and great to see Shakedown in somebodys list back there - i thought i was the only person who liked it!) but don't diss Billy Jean.

Ye love that Shakedown track, a tad cheesy but sur so what! :D

Nailz wrote: »
    Aw great list pal, couldn't have made a better one!! I will buy any record you release!!!

Well the next ones looking like its gonna be a sort of shoegazy indie type thingy so I'll let you off the hook this time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

They obviously have a far looser definition of "Dance" than I have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Honey-ec wrote: »

agreed

billie jean is pop where as firestarter for example is pure dance

heres my list in no particular order

1. prodigy = no good start the dance
    2. s express = theme from s express
    3. delite = groove is in the heart
    4. m.a.r.s = pump up the volume
    5. armen van helden = you dont know me
    6. black box= ride on time
    7. chemical brothers = hey boy , hey girl
    8. daft punk = da funk
    9. snap = the power
    10. new order = blue monday , though blue monday is more indie if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

irish_bob wrote: »
    agreed

billie jean is pop where as firestarter for example is pure dance

okay - it's getting a bit 'you say potayto/i say potahto' but from what you've posted as your top dance songs, your 'argument' would appear to be that 'music to dance to' was invented in, er, 1987 (leaving aside Blue Monday) and that Acid House was the zenith.

I'm not dissing your choices of tunes at all - they're all belters; but you might wanna take off the blinkers. It's not always about the beat - sometimes it's the groove! I'll grant you that Billy Jean or (the other one i'd have nominated) Superstition by Stevie Wonder aren't ones that'll have you throwing mad shapes on the floor - but listen to the rhythm underpinning the song. If you don't find an urge to cut a rug to it, check for a pulse!

(oh jesus - can't believe i just typed all that...just call me Disco Stu :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dance was invented when Disco became a dirty word.

Mike.

Well the next ones looking like its gonna be a sort of shoegazy indie type thingy so I'll let you off the hook this time. ;)
    Aw thanks, I was a bit worried when you said "shoegazy indie type thingy"! :) But you seem to like Madchester, would I be right in saying?
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Well Bernard Sumner of New Order/Joy Division has the same view. So do I, I believe that dance music is music that makes you dance to a beat no matter the genre, not particularly electronic or anything like that.

In 24HrPP Sumner reckoned the Monday's song "TART TART" was dance music as it was able to make you move to the guitar. Here is that song;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maniac 2000 ftw :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

okay - it's getting a bit 'you say potayto/i say potahto' but from what you've posted as your top dance songs, your 'argument' would appear to be that 'music to dance to' was invented in, er, 1987 (leaving aside Blue Monday) and that Acid House was the zenith.

I'm not dissing your choices of tunes at all - they're all belters; but you might wanna take off the blinkers. It's not always about the beat - sometimes it's the groove! I'll grant you that Billy Jean or (the other one i'd have nominated) Superstition by Stevie Wonder aren't ones that'll have you throwing mad shapes on the floor - but listen to the rhythm underpinning the song. If you don't find an urge to cut a rug to it, check for a pulse!

(oh jesus - can't believe i just typed all that...just call me Disco Stu :D)

i was born in 1977 and i only became aware of music and everything else in 1987
    for me , dance was born around 1987 or 88 and became the defining music genre of the nineties only to be replaced by hip hop in the noughties

Advertisement