Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

• 16-07-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

We have bought a ~25 year old house. Electrician friend disconnected previous owner's additions (socket in bathroom, light switch in bathroom and a whole series of extra sockets). House is wired in the old red and black cable colours but seems good otherwise.

Ideally we would like to get the whole place re-wired to accommodate new network, TV and to move some of the sockets around but it would be too much money/disruption for now.

What we are planning to do is to re-plaster one of the rooms and what I would like to do at the same time is to relocate some of the sockets to the otherside of the room.

My main query is what are you allowed to do yourself and what is not allowed? I am fairly handy and when all the existing plasterboard is off I could move the sockets to their new location. Does doing this create any problems for me? One of our longer term options to convert one of the back rooms into an office and I would ideally like to place this on its own circuit. I would like to put the cable etc in place now and then get somebody later to connect it into the main panel.

I know it is a long story but would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well bjroche
    IMO there is little wrong with red and balck PVC PVC cable, but a rewire should really include ripping out the old cabling.
    About what you are allowed to do, well there is only one safe answer, very little.

however if there is no reason why you cant do some cable installation, without the connections, some of the light seitching might trip you up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭bjroche

Thanks, appreciate your reply. I might just jet the consumer unit replaced first. I know there are lots of options + house but can anyone give me a rough ballpark to replace the consumer unit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

em about 350 to 500 Euro IMO.

Advertisement