Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Manifesto

Options
  • 16-07-2008 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I was thinking today, would a parties manifesto be legally binding or accountable in anyway?

MODS: Feel free to move this if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i wish it was !

I remeber when the dems took back congres and said "George Bush will be getting no blank cheques from us!" , yet they still approve his spening bills?!

Not at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Thought as much, what about politicians being held to what they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭St_Crispin

Thought as much, what about politicians being held to what they say?

One problem with that. It would have to be passed in the dail first. Can you think of any group of politicians who would vote for that.

Besides, even if we assume that all politicians are honest (go on have a giggle at that), they'd have to be free to change their mind based on current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

No.
    1. As said above, it would be too restrictive. Think of the current situation, if a manifesto was written in good economic times, them bad ones come along, you have a recipe for disaster.

2. Parties go into coalition, and obviously can't all do everything they want, since parties dissagree so much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement