Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to school.

Options
  • 16-07-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Right DD is going into 4th class this year.

Went up to get her books today

€137!!! & they hadnt 2 of her books in stock.

This did not include her copies or pens... School bag... etc

I will also have to fork out another €90 on logo'd tracksuits.

Buy her new shoes and runners, A new school coat.

Blue air text shirts. School shirts, a cardigan and a skirt. (Some of last years will still fit her.)

Then there is the insurance fees and milk money.

So after calculating it all It is working out at about €400-€500 to get her sorted...

And thats for only one...

Anyone else want to rant??? I would be interested to here from secondary school parents!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Ha! Wait till you get to second level! :eek:

If its any consolation, on a cost per wear basis (183 days per year) the school uniform is generally not bad value; she would have needed a coat, shoes and runners anyway.

You don't have to take the accident insurance - I never bothered with it and had 12 years worth of primary school between the two of them.

For school books - try some of the online stores - www.schoolbooks.ie is the one I've mainly used, there's also www.schoolbooksonline.ie (suspect they may be one and the same company?). They offer a covering service also which is very handy esp. for secondary school. EDIT: no affilation with either company - just a satisfied customer!

Its also worth talking to your parents association and see if you can get a book rental scheme going.

The supermarkets are good value for the copies and stationery; a hint - buy extra packs now and put them at the back of the cupboard for January when everything invariably seems to be lost after the holidays! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have one going into 3rd class and one goind into 5th and the school wanted the book money beofre the end of june, the books are bought at a bulk discount and between the books, admin fees, artsupply fees and insurance we had over about 370euros with less then 3 weeks notice.
    The uniforms and track suits ect still have to be bought.

My twins are going into 5th class so 2 of every thing had to be bought. All books/copies/biros etc from www.schoolbooks.ie amounted to E250. The eldest fella is just starting secondary, got all his books and pieces from same site - E336. Thats outside of uniforms, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Well thanks to this thread I have just bought all my books for my little girl who is going into 2nd class on www.schoolbooks.ie at a cost of €140- And how lazy is this, I paid €1.10 per book for them to cover..

Add to that new uniform and tracksuit and her copies etc and it will come to well over €200-

Not looking forward to my other little one starting school - It will be a credit union loan every year I reckon:eek:

Although, having read other's expenses on this thread, I'm not doing too bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A lot of schools do a savings scheme during the year and if you avail of that it can help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

So much for "free education"....

Like Kildrought said, talk to the PTA about organising a book rental scheme, maybe offer to run it yourself (you'll need to haul in some troops of course because there is a lot of work in it). Our book rental scheme just costs us e50 per year, so there is substantial savings to be made - if you can be sure you're going to get the help and support that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Insurance fees :confused: Enlighten me!

There's a great little shop in Galway where you can get all the books and can either new or second hand. Obviously the workbooks had to be new but I the books second hand and they were all really good qaulity. I can't remember exactly how much but think I spent about €60 in total rather than €80 if they'd all been new. This was for junior infants and included all the copies, pencils etc as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I have 2 in secondary in 2 different schools.One is all money,money,money and the other they have free breakfasts and ds got brought out for a week clara lara and glendalough.Ds2 only missed out the other school by 1 day but its good hes going to a different school.

Advertisement