Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harps new ground

• 13-05-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Harps heading to new ground
    Monday, 12 May 2008 23:07
    Finn Harps hope to move into a brand new 6,800 all-seater stadium in 2010 - and they will be the envy of nearly every club in the country.

Harps have done a deal with the trustees of their present ground, a local developer and Donegal Co Council.

The club will move less than a mile from their current Finn Park home in Ballybofey to a new ground in Stranorlar.

The official sod turning ceremony was performed this afternoon
    by Minister for Health Promotion and Food Safety Pat 'the Cope' Gallagher.

Work on the €9million project, which will also receive financial backing from the FAI and the government, is expected to begin next month.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0512/finnharps.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,333 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yip. I was there the sod turning ceremony yesterday and for the drinkies afterwards too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

muffler wrote: »
    Yip. I was there the sod turning ceremony yesterday and for the drinkies afterwards too :)

any plans available to view for the new stadium muffler

Here you go. Click on the "View related documents" tab at the top of the page.

Here you go. Click on the "View related documents" tab at the top of the page.

cheers muffler, looks like an all seater, should be good for the twin towns region

Given its location it will be a tremendous boost for the area - see my post here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Great news and a credit to all involved in Finn Harps

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Any word on the Harps new ground... it seems to have died a death

think there was thread floating about the NW boards on it, me and muffler were having a chat about it one evening, thought work had started my self

:confused:

I found the other thread and merged them.

The official sod turning ceremony was held back about 2 months ago and it was stated then that works would begin within a couple of months but still nothing happening.

Finn harps FC have done a deal with a local contractor whereby he would take possession of Finn Park with a view to developing it for commercial use and in return he would build the new stadium in Stranorlar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Finn harps FC have done a deal with a local contractor whereby he would take possession of Finn Park with a view to developing it for commercial use and in return he would build the new stadium in Stranorlar.

Maybe that no longer seems like such an enticing prospect for the contractor involved, in the short term anyway, being among the many who are laying off workers?

• Advertisement

I understand the contracts have been signed so there should be no going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Don't think this is a good move at all. Harps should stay where they are and upgrade their spiritual home.
    This move was instigated by the developers for their own benefit. Other examples of clubs moving from town centre to out of town prove to be a disaster... Stay Harps stay:(

Personally I would love to see them stay put but they aren't moving out of town - just moving town.

I wouldn't agree with the assertion that the developer is responsible for the proposed move. Both parties will benefit from the proposal.

The move will be another part of the jigsaw in the formation of a sporting centre of excellence based around the Finn valley AC premises. If the long awaited swimming pool (planned for development on Finn valley AC's ground) ever gets going there will be a much sought after leisure and amenity area.

The council own other land and while there was a "master plan" in place for redevelopment of the entire area it appears to have been put on the long finger.

Now would be a good time to have a certain Dr McDaid back as minister for sports ;)

Now would be a good time to have a certain Dr McDaid back as minister for sports ;)

ah, the minister for fun

:D

hopefully the full development goes ahead and the whole region prospers, although hopefully the resession wont cut some of the work back

just spotted this over on RTE
    Work to begin on Finn Harps stadium

The eircom League of Ireland has received a timely boost with the news that work on Finn Harps' new 6,600 all-seated stadium is to commence within the next fortnight.

The news comes after the club received the final piece of documentation required for the project to start.

The Donegal club's Ground Development Officer Patsy Lafferty confirmed that a Fire Safety Certificate had been granted and that work was imminent.

The delay in the granting of the certificate was due to some slight adjustments to the plans to allow it to stage outdoor concerts and other big sporting events. The alterations will enable Harps to cater for crowds of up to 15,000 for such events in their new home.

'It is a massive boost for the club,' Mr Lafferty said.

'It gives everyone involved a huge lift at this time. There has been a lot of sleepless nights to be fair and a lot of times when we thought that maybe it wouldn't go ahead.'

The original timescale on the project is two years, which could mean Harps could be playing at the state-of-the-art venue in 2011.

The development in Stranorlar will be built to completion before Harps move in. As well as 6,600 seats and a second pitch for junior soccer in the area, the development includes all facilities required for UEFA Licencing, a three-storey administration block and ample car parking.

Already, funding of €1.2 million has been granted to the development. Earlier this year, the first sod was turned by Pat The Cope Gallagher.

On face value it appears to be news and I suppose if it were true it would definitely be news. The club is in financial difficulties so its difficult to see how they can proceed with the development particularly with the arrangement they have with a local developer.

Then again if contracts are signed it may proceed.

On face value it appears to be news and I suppose if it were true it would definitely be news. The club is in financial difficulties so its difficult to see how they can proceed with the development particularly with the arrangement they have with a local developer.

Then again if contracts are signed it may proceed.

opps, tried finding link, cant find, hope its not an old story

:o

Here is the link for the story.

The jobs are badly needed so hopefully work will get under way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Work began yesterday :) There are some photos in the link below

www.jamesbyrne.net/gallery/index.php

Good stuff. Keep us updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

On the other thread about council redundancies i mentioned about Joe mcMenimin being in trouble. I just realised tonight that they are the people behind the new stadium.
    One of the fellas being let go reckons the company is in trouble,how will this tie in with Harps?

One of the fellas being let go reckons the company is in trouble,how will this tie in with Harps?
    They share a common bond ;)

On the other thread about council redundancies i mentioned about Joe mcMenimin being in trouble. I just realised tonight that they are the people behind the new stadium.

Seems to be terminal at this stage.

sesswhat wrote: »
    Seems to be terminal at this stage.
    Haven't noticed any activity about it recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Have a mate who is a Harps fan.
    He reckons the club is in dissarray behind the scenes at the minute. A few of the board have resigned .
    He reckons this stadium is stopped as the deal to exchange the new ground for the old Finn Park is in crisis as the value of the old ground has dropped in the present economic climate.
    If that was not enough he was crying about the manager being a ####.:eek:

Big question is - was the contract ever signed? I understand it was so it would be interesting to see how things develop from here.

Big question is - was the contract ever signed? I understand it was so it would be interesting to see how things develop from here.

If the contractor was to go out of business this week, wouldn't it be academic?

sesswhat wrote: »
    If the contractor was to go out of business this week, wouldn't it be academic?
    True.

Advertisement