Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized tricross thoughts

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I was looking for a road bike but kinda more rugged so it can take a beating, the guys at cycleways suggested the tricross sport (comes about 1050 from them). Checking the reviews, I see most people are really happy with it, only blunt spot being the brakes. Most find them kinda weak and not up to spec to the rest of the bike. Considering that I wont go above a grand anyway, is there anything else in the same price range?

Although I'm all for supporting your local shop (and it pays in the long run), the bike can be shipped from uk for 850. Since I'm spending also on pedals, shoes, computer, mudguards, pretty much everything actually since I moved recently to dublin, that is to be considered also. The frame for me is 52, i'm 5 3'.

Any thoughts and ideas welcomed, i have some time since i can't find a 52 sized frame in stock locally atm.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are you planning on using it off road?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chroma

Besides the occasional shortcut through the mud and running pavements up and down, no real off road use. But I won't be sticking 100% on the road, that's why I'm looking for something 'less' than a pure road bike.

Seeing you're in Clondalkin from your status, I'm based in Clondalkin myself. Would you recommend a shop around here or Tallaght? I sent an email at cycle inn about the tricross, but they never got back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have something similar to the Tricross that I use for touring, with a rack. It is good for that with good tyre clearance, etc but is no way as fast as my road bike. I got it as I have gone off-road on tours (the Camino) before and wanted to be able to take at least up to 700x35c.

So bottom line it is a great all round bike but it is not as fast as a road bike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

chroma wrote: »
    Besides the occasional shortcut through the mud and running pavements up and down, no real off road use. But I won't be sticking 100% on the road, that's why I'm looking for something 'less' than a pure road bike.

With 32c tyres, you're sacrificing a lot of speed just for the odd trip up on the a footpath.
    chroma wrote: »
    Seeing you're in Clondalkin from your status, I'm based in Clondalkin myself. Would you recommend a shop around here or Tallaght? I sent an email at cycle inn about the tricross, but they never got back to me.

From Clondalkin but haven't lived at home in years. A friend from home swears by Wheelworx in the Mill Centre though and says Rob is a great guy. No experience of the Cycle Inn. Cycle Superstore in Tallaght isn't bad in my experience. Good prices for Ireland, but I've never bought a bike from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hi. I have a tricross bought from the aformentioned store. Very comfortable, but in hindsight I think I was misold really. I would say great for commuting, but out on the road, I can get left behind very easily (now a lot of this could be down to fitness/conditioning and not the bike.) If you want the bike for a comfortable fast speed on a commute then tricross is good. If you are heading our on road more than I would take advice on whther that particular bike is a good investment.
    As an aside, if I changed the weels and tyres on my tricross to road wheels, should I notice an improvement. If so, what are a good entry set of road wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ROK_ON- you will notice an improvement just from changing the tyres, no need to worry about the wheels quite yet. Light wheels will make the bike lighter (easier to go up hills) but you will get most benefit just from swapping out the tyres.

I use and would recommend Schwalbe Ultremo 700x23c tyres from CycleSuperStore (sign up for their loyalty programme and you get a few quid off that €30/tyre which is already a great price.) Alternatively if you want more puncture protection (although the Ultremos are pretty good) consider Continental Gatorskins - Wiggle do a tyre+tube set quite cheaply. Bottom line is stick on any 700x23c tyre and you will see a big improvement.

Also make sure to inflate your tyres to the recommended pressure, this can make a big difference even with the tyres you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i think most people underestimate the amount of abuse that a road bike can take. entry level wheels can take a lot more punishment than we generally give them credit for, especially if you're not that big, and you can handle the bike reasonably well. and a cross bike won't give you the same sense of easy speed.

it might be justifiable for touring but unless you're commuting across the somme it's say it's a bit overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Got the single cross a few months ago from cycleways and love it for my commute. Mind you my only reference was my grossly oversized tourer of nigh on 20 years so pretty much anything would impress me.
    Haven't gone off road on it (not my bag) but it copes with all the usual pot holes and kerbs just fine. Brakes are good enough if not sensational. Loads of braze ons so you can ruin it's looks with all the mudguards and panniers you want.
    Only thing I would suggest is if you're good at haggling is get them to change the tyres - my one came with great nobbly things designed for muddy grass. Fine if you're into that sort of thing but not so good on the tarmac, I changed to 25c slicks as soon as I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

blorg wrote: »
    ROK_ON- you will notice an improvement just from changing the tyres, no need to worry about the wheels quite yet. Light wheels will make the bike lighter (easier to go up hills) but you will get most benefit just from swapping out the tyres.

Thank you. Will try. The reason that I was advised to get this bike above a road bike, was the amount of punishment it would take on a commute. In hindsight, I think that this was bullsh*t. Had been commuting yars on an old hybrid and never thought that roads were that bad. I have the bike now, so am going to make the best of it. If I find that I cant get what I want out of it I may change next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

I've had a tricross for two years and am overall happy with it. After riding Mountain Bikes for 15 years the Tricross feels fast. I feel thats to do with the bigger wheels and road bike geometry when compared to a mountain bike. I ride it generally on country back roads and after two years the wheels are still perfectly true. I'd say it depends on your weight aswell, if your light enough you may get away with a normal road bike, if your heavier the Tricross will take more abuse.
    I found the brakes OK, but all cantilever brakes are crap after riding a mountain bike with hydraulic discs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 chroma

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi. I have a tricross bought from the aformentioned store. Very comfortable, but in hindsight I think I was misold really. I would say great for commuting, but out on the road, I can get left behind very easily (now a lot of this could be down to fitness/conditioning and not the bike.) If you want the bike for a comfortable fast speed on a commute then tricross is good. If you are heading our on road more than I would take advice on whther that particular bike is a good investment.
    As an aside, if I changed the weels and tyres on my tricross to road wheels, should I notice an improvement. If so, what are a good entry set of road wheels.

Reviving this thread, firstly I'd like to thank everyone for the input and the good info found in the cycling forum. Although I'm being more of a lurker since I'm gradually getting back into it.

Anyway, I got the tricross about 2 months ago and getting fitter and faster by the day. Which brings me to the same dilemma as ROK ON's above post, I need to change the tyres. The ones that came with the bike (Borough CX 32) are good for commuting, as you don't have to be too careful with them but tend to get noisy and not good at cornering, which is to be expected though.

So I was thinking of getting a second pair of wheels for spins as not to compromise and keep the stock pair along with the tyres for commuting. Unless there is a tyre that can do both, I've been reading good stuff about Ultra Gatorskin, I'm just concerned about flats since I've never been there in terms of pressure (100+ psi).

Advertisement