Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Triathlons

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this one is for 'Cycling' especially, but i thought id ask anyway;

I've been training consistently(ish) for 5 months now for triathlons, have competed in 2 sprints and finished under the 1:30hr mark for both, which is kind of mediocre, i know. At the moment my training has been upped to 30k cycles, 1k swim and 9.5k jog, although last week I found I could do 60k cycle, 1.5k swim and 10k jog in consecutive days (not all together, that would lead to exhaustion), and the body is pretty ok afterwards. So that's the history, my question is;

1. would i be able for an olympic triathlon, and
    2. what is the minimum training required to be able to FINISH one, not make a good time, just finish in a mediocre time. I know they say to do the whole thing you should be able to do twice the distance of each discipline (again, not all at once, thats a half ironman!)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Probably best in the triathlon board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this one is for 'Cycling' especially, but i thought id ask anyway;

I've been training consistently(ish) for 5 months now for triathlons, have competed in 2 sprints and finished under the 1:30hr mark for both, which is kind of mediocre, i know. At the moment my training has been upped to 30k cycles, 1k swim and 9.5k jog, although last week I found I could do 60k cycle, 1.5k swim and 10k jog in consecutive days (not all together, that would lead to exhaustion), and the body is pretty ok afterwards. So that's the history, my question is;

1. would i be able for an olympic triathlon, and
    2. what is the minimum training required to be able to FINISH one, not make a good time, just finish in a mediocre time. I know they say to do the whole thing you should be able to do twice the distance of each discipline (again, not all at once, thats a half ironman!)

thanks

That's more training than I did for my first oly and I got through it okay! (was feckin starving after though!):pac: Longest swim I did: 1500m, Longest Cycle: 43k, Longest run 8k, and a few brick sessions. Everyone's different, but you sound like you've the capacity.

There is no "can't"! Just keep at it, and on the day, give it loads! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would imagine you would be fine if you can do those distances individually; ever tried sticking two of them together? If you can do a sprint in 1:30 I don't see that you would have any problem finishing an Olympic. Is 1:30 bad in a sprint, seems OK to me based on my own swim/run times, but then I am hardly competitive! Have never done a tri but hope to this year, was going to throw myself in with an Olympic to start but if there was a sprint I could give a go before that might be a good idea. They are expensive feckers to enter tho.

Right now I can swim and cycle (heh) the distances but the running is not yet up to scratch (I did a 10k a few weeks ago but was wrecked after.)

Advertisement