Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Live Download limit?

• 16-07-2008 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Wondering if you could help me with something,
    I've had people telling me that when you play games on xbox live it doesnt use up any of the download limit (Guy who works in gamestop), where in other forums they say that if you have say a 5 gig limit (:(), it eats it up in next to no time?

Which is the truer statement?

So, to reiterate, When on xbox live:
    1. Playing games uses up a chunk of your limit. OR
    2. It uses up NONE of it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Playing games online uses very little, such is the nature of online gaming. Downloading items from the market place can eat up download liimits depending on the file size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Microsoft's live team caclulated all this when asked about it and came up with some nice results.
    If you were to play for 24 hours online with constant talk and its a game where a lot of information is exchanged, it will only use 300mb.

Now thats nice ;) It translates to about 12.5mb every hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Playing the games themselves uses up very little bandwidth. The problem comes when you start downloading stuff left, right and center from the marketplace.

As far as I know, for a full days gaming (and I mean, a proper session), you'd use somewhere between 100-200mb, which is pretty good.

My mate played a full day on Live and used up 120MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ecw-Original

OK, so to bring this altogether,

The 360 will use up some limit, but not loads.
    Unless I download demos, trailers etc etc?

Is there any truth in the idea that you need a connection over a 3mb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

When i started on Xbox live i was on 1mb, now im on 3mb there only difference is that you download demos etc. quicker but no differnce when gaming online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Game traffic's small enough overall, but if you're that worried about it, get a proper ISP with an uncapped service :D

<3 my Smart 8 meg line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Kharn wrote: »
    Game traffic's small enough overall, but if you're that worried about it, get a proper ISP with an uncapped service :D

<3 my Smart 8 meg line

Problem seems to be a cap on x-box live rather then a cap with the ISP. Something I was not aware of tbh.

Kharn wrote: »

<3 my Smart 8 meg line

Wish i could just do that :(
    But i got myself into a contract at the start of the year with no intention of getting an xbox, now i do.

And i cant change my server who has given me a stingy 5 gig limit(which i have hit and came very close to it last year) :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

ntl 20mb no limit - €40 a month

demo goodness :D I downloaded the too human demo in like 20 mins its a friggin gig

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »

demo goodness :D I downloaded the too human demo in like 20 mins its a friggin gig

Wow!
    You serious? Whats the catch?

• Advertisement

Wow!
    You serious? Whats the catch?

I dunno yet.... lol everyones broadband was upgraded depending what package you were currently on, and the price stayed the same. There is a fair usage scheme though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dazftw wrote: »

Its capped at 60 gigs a month. There is a limit but the package is called Unlimited. And they are anal about people exceeding the limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Its capped at 60 gigs a month. There is a limit but the package is called Unlimited. And they are anal about people exceeding the limits.
    There isn't a cap of 60gb's on the 20mb package.

Ok time for a new topic me thinks

The package is called Broadband Ultra!

If you can find something to do with 60gigs there post it up. Im downloading a good bit now and dont want to be charged extra!

http://www.upc.ie/internet/

Advertisement