Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RESPECT TO DJ SIMON YOUNG

• 16-07-2008 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I began listening to all the dance tunes via the dance show on 2fm back in the mid eighties.I am sure many of you did also listen to the dance show back then.He allways played DMC megamixes and remixes you could not here anywhere else.
    Any how he has an illness that prevents him from doing the job he so loves so much.
    Quoting from the Daily Star Sunday

A former 2FM DJ has revealed how his life has been changed forever by a devestating disorder of the nervous system.

Simon Young, a popular voice on 2fm for nearly two decades, was diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy more than four years ago.

The 48-year old, who lives in clondalkin, dublin, was released from hospital on friday after 4 weeks treatment for his illness.

The Articles goes on about the illness a bit......

Simon owns a regular wheelchair but is trying to raise money for an electric one, as his strength is gradually going.

He Said "I haven't been working, so I don;t have the money to buy an electric one".

Ian Dempsey is quoted saying nice things about simon, his career, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

yeah i used to listen in on a sat night around 1990/91/92 , his show was were i started listening to electronic music

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Thats terrible, you'd think Gerry Ryan etc could have a whip around and fund an electric wheelchair, would hardly break the bank for a few of the high paid 2FM DJ's.

One of the promoters here should hold a fund raising event for him, I don't personally remember him but it sounds like he played a significant role in broadcasting early dance to our nation so he deserves a bit of assistance now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I know this sounds mad but I remember my Dad listening to his show (and id be in the back of the Cortina, ha ha) and all the megamixes on it, memory is pretty hazy all the same but I remember the jingles clearly (siiiiiiimon young)

Id defo be into a fundraiser for Simon to get a proper wheelchair, if anyone would wanna join me even label it as a boards.ie fundraising night in aid of him?

Im sure most venues would jump at the chance to do a bit of good for the scene (and get a heap of cash from the bar, so its a win-win situation for them) its a pity it would have to come to this but im sure all the lads who post here could muster up a good crowd between the lot of us for a good cause?

And of course all of us offering our services for free???

Id be onboard for something like that, anyone else consider givin me a dig out with it?

I could get a few big enough names to put their name on the bill aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

There a fund raiser in the pipeline allready,read the post on a dj forum.http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/index.php

It's mentsioned on the above forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 vjoc

It's Simon time again - DJ returns to the airwaves after seven-year break following illness. Update from the Sunday Tribune.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Remember him alright - used to play lots of Luther Van Dross.

Advertisement