Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used diesel - recommendations

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Alright

I have a 1.9 octavia 2004. Its a good solid car. Looking to downsize a bit though. I don't really need such a large car.

Can anyone recommend a smaller diesel used car.

Fuel economy, comfort, reliability would be my main thing.

Or should i consider keeping the skoda?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What do you hope to gain by changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Why dont you buy new?

Get a nice little SEAT Cordoba 1.4 TDI s.
    getting close on 800 Kms to the tank mostly town driving.
    €100 per year road tax
    2 years warranty.
    Comfortable
    Reliable
    Straght deal should get you one for little over €16k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'd be concerned you're just downsizing because influenced by all the media hype. A SEAT Cordoba is probably the ideal car on paper - smaller, still a saloon, scrapes into Band A road tax, VAG car so similar 'feel' to Skoda... It's a run-out model though and as far as I know SEAT aren't bothering to directly replace it.

If you spent a bit more money or bought a year older you could have a MUCH better car. I'd recommend a Mazda 3 diesel. It's 1.6, Band B tax and quieter, smoother and better to drive than either the SEAT or Skoda. Either saloon or hatch:
    - http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda3/1.6-TDI/1123479/
    - http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda3/1.6D-Touring/922636/

If you'd like something much smaller the Suzuki Swift is a great little car
    - http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Suzuki/Swift/1.3-2003/1111797/

When I hear the words 'good solid car' I assume you're pretty conservative though and will prefer not to move from Skoda, SEAT, VW etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

vectra wrote: »
    Why dont you buy new?

Get a nice little SEAT Cordoba 1.4 TDI s.
    getting close on 800 Kms to the tank mostly town driving.
    €100 per year road tax
    2 years warranty.
    Comfortable
    Reliable
    Straght deal should get you one for little over €16k

I've the Citroen C4 1.6HDi and with a 60 litre tank get around 1250km. If new the tax is in the lowest or near lowest band. I know Citroen get a bad press, but I've not had any problems in 3 years and have done 82000kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Its a bad time to sell a car just to downsize to a smaller one. You stand to lose a lot of cash just trying to sell your skoda. Sure you might reduce your tax bill to the tune of 450euro per annum by buying a low emission car but you will lose way more than that in the sale of your current car and depreciation on any new car.

As for reliability I heard that skoda octavias are as good as they come and if you do big miles then a bigger car will always take these better. Also, within reason, your car is as easy on the juice as most of these small cars.

If you just want to keep your years up then my advice would be to wait until the new year when all the current disruption in the car industry subsides.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I've the Citroen C4 1.6HDi and with a 60 litre tank get around 1250km. If new the tax is in the lowest or near lowest band. I know Citroen get a bad press, but I've not had any problems in 3 years and have done 82000kms.

Mine is a 45 Litre tank so would be almost identical on fuel return :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

the budget isn't really a problem.

I suppose my octavia will keep going for ever. and it isn't too bad on the consumption. I don't do huge mileage, but have put 15,000 on it since last november

Was just looking for recommendations for other alternative diesel cars. Before I go out looking and test driving.

what about that new peugeut 308?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

New 1.6 Diesel Kia Cee'd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Ah yes, the Koreans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

ShayK1 wrote: »

Brother in law has one of these are it is a bullet. Only one year old with no problems so cannot say anyhting about reliability but the seven year warranty should knock that on the head. The estate version is not bad looking and would give you decent boot space for a smaller diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ShayK1 wrote: »

Jeez, forgot about this...

A friend bought one last year and a pletora of his relations now have them on his recommendation.

Fantastic all-round package.

Just topped up my one today at the same pump and topped it up till it could take no more as i did last week
    150Kilometers for €15 ( just managed to squeeze the last 5c in to bring it to the €15.

That driving consisted of a round trip to Cork varying from 50kmh through town and possibly 120ish on the road at times.
    Added tot his was around town driving where I would be "Giving it welly" up hills etc. :D

Then to Mitchelstown todat where I get my diesel where on my way i "stuck in behind" a BMW where we hit 150Kmh at times :eek:

As far as I can figure I averaged 40 MPG ?
    would that be correct?
    If so i am dead happy :cool:

Advertisement