Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scams on-going in the county

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Just a couple of scams that people in the county should be aware of.

The first is a phone scam, whereby a lady in a nice american accent tells you that you have won a fabulous trip to Dubai/Bahamas/ Antigua, etc. Hang up the phone straight away. A friend of mine in Bruff says his neighbour got stung badly by following up this call with lots of other premium rate calls. After 6 numbers dialled and €28 wasted, she was still no closer to getting details of that ''holiday''. The same phone call came my way today so i knew how to deal with it.

The second scam people should be wary of (farmers in particular) is whereby a man calls to your house and offers a free tidying service. He claims he will take away excess rubbish from sheds, outhouses and farm yards and that he is working for the Dept of Argriculture as part of REPS (Rural Environment Protection Scheme). The guy called to us and when i put it to him that the Dept of Agriculture offers no such service for REPS, he said they do and listed off all the farmers/land owners who's yards he had cleaned in the past week. I politely sent him on his way, not before i had taken down his car reg no. I contacted a couple of the farmers he had mentioned and they said nobody from REPS had called to their door offering cleaning services! This guy was around the Adare/Croagh/Ballingarry area a couple of weeks ago, and i heard on the news last week that a similar con job was in operation around Kilmallock, where power tools and other electrical equipment had been taken. Again, run him, do not let him near your farm or sheds. Where it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

i wonder did this fella have a silver 4x4 jeep - Ni reg - i came across something much the same scam, his story was a bit different.- im from west limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

grenache wrote: »
    Where it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

So true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

iceax wrote: »
    i wonder did this fella have a silver 4x4 jeep - Ni reg - i came across something much the same scam, his story was a bit different.- im from west limerick.
    the fella that called to our house was driving a Golf

Advertisement