Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No NCT an offence?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Got stopped and the guard took my details and said Ive to produce my insurance certificate, aswell as an NCT certificate i presume he means an application for an NCT, within 10 days, or I will be summonsed.
    I thought the NCT was neither here nor there at the moment? Or was the guard just in a bad mood.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It is an offence not to have a valid nct cert. He could summons you for it if he likes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

curadh wrote: »
    I thought the NCT was neither here nor there at the moment?
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Canis_major

The NCT was always required, but it seems only recently that its actually being enforced. Your best bet is to see if you can ring the local test centre and see if you can get a test cancellation or similar ASAP .

As far as i know if you do get summonsed its usually a €250 or so fine + the hassle of having to turn up to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Ouch! methinks I better apply asap and hope for a cancellation. ta for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Same thing happened to me recently, went through the same checkpoint twice in half an hour, 1st time no issues, 2nd time the garda asked y I hadnt got an nct,I said it was recently imported etc etc, he said he could take the car off me if he wanted and to produce all my details, insurance certificate etc down in the station in 10days. Went down the station that night and gave them everything, they barely looked at the forms just said "yep thats grand ill put you in the system as having produced ". Didnt mention anything about an NCT, although I have since applied for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Onkle wrote: »
    It is an offence not to have a valid nct cert. He could summons you for it if he likes

If they take it that seriously then why do they not send out reminders like they used too. Sometimes life can be far too busy to keep checking when your NCT is about to expire.
    Car, house insurance and road tax send out out reminders why not the NCT too?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mcwhirter wrote: »
    If they take it that seriously then why do they not send out reminders like they used too. Sometimes life can be far too busy to keep checking when your NCT is about to expire.

The onus is on the owner I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Generally, the NCT is not enforced. However, this will vary greatly depending on the Guard you meet, whether you have a bad attitude at the checkpoint, whether you would be classed as a boy racer, etc.
    I've been through plenty of checkpoints and the distinct lack of an nct has never been brought up.

The NCT itself is a pisstake. I wouldn't trust them with my car tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

This is good to know about. I recently imported my car and I went to the NCT centre a day or two later with the documentation that the Revenue gave me when I paid the VRT. The girl said they needed something that showed the exact date the car was first registered and for me to come back when I have the reg certificate.

I was a bit delayed in applying for the motor tax because of a change of address, but I applied and paid for it last week so I'm waiting for the disc to arrive. Hopefully the vehicle reg certificate will appear soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

The local paper is full of prosecutions for no NCT every week. Its usually a €250 fine.

Is it true that Quinn Direct will void your insurance if you don't have one?

• Advertisement

So why won't they send reminders, having no insurance and tax is an offence but you receive reminders through the post. Why can the NCT not do the same, it's very lazy of them not to, especially when you can be fined for not having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

So why won't they send reminders, having no insurance and tax is an offence but you receive reminders through the post. Why can the NCT not do the same, it's very lazy of them not to, especially when you can be fined for not having one.

Because they're a shower of incompetent morons that are only interested in profit. :D

The proof of their incompetence has been reported here many times on various threads.

In addition to my previous post, I called the nct 'helpline!' number and asked them if they are now sending out reminders, the man said no. So I said so why do you state it on your website that you do , and he said we did until last year and that they will take it off the website. I wouldn't hold your breath.
    This is taken from their website.

6. Will I be notified when my test is due?
    NCTS will contact owners of eligible motor vehicles (based on official vehicle registration records) in advance of the anniversary date of first registration of your car. You will be offered a provisional appointment for the test that must either be confirmed or rearranged by using our on-line booking service or calling our LoCall booking number.

No they don't!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 oho_noho

I was stopped twice in the six months. Both times i was told i'd be summonsed, I've recieved nothing on either occassion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My car won't require an NCT for another two years, but how the hell are you supposed to know your test date if they don't send out a notification???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They used to but I think they're trying to cut down on paperwork or sumsuch.
    Anyway, the onus is on you to remember these things, like paying rent or anything really.
    Put it in you calendar or phone to remind you, that's what I do for tax, nct etcetera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Honey-ec wrote: »
    My car won't require an NCT for another two years, but how the hell are you supposed to know your test date if they don't send out a notification???

Use a diary, mark it on a calendar, put it in your phone, stick the date on your fridge, commit it to your brain. The test date is decided by you.
    You just need to remember to organise it before the 4 years from registration or two years from your last test (in that case you have an extra reminder stuck to your windscreen as you have the expiry date of the old NCT displayed).

Ignorance is not accepted as an excuse. Your car is exactly that 'Your car' and it's up to you to make sure that you have all the correct documentation to allow you drive the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

oho_noho wrote: »
    I was stopped twice in the six months. Both times i was told i'd be summonsed, I've recieved nothing on either occassion.

let us know if you get the hat trick:D

your reminder for the nct is on your windscreen weans.

Onkle wrote: »
    Ignorance is not accepted as an excuse. Your car is exactly that 'Your car' and it's up to you to make sure that you have all the correct documentation to allow you drive the car

So why do we receive reminders for car tax, car insurance, house insurance(not legally required), and other bills then.
    There is a slight inconsistency here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

So why do we receive reminders for car tax, car insurance, house insurance(not legally required), and other bills then.
    There is a slight inconsistency here.

Well for car insurance and house insurance the insurance money is making money off you. They want to remind you to give them profit.

Dunno about car tax reminders. Maybe they're just nice :D

Well for car insurance and house insurance the insurance money is making money off you. They want to remind you to give them profit.

Yes but car insurance is legally required and so is car tax so why can they not treat the NCT as important as them. It is after all a check to ensure the car is road worthy so with all the press lately about road safety surely they could start with at least remindiing us how important the NCT is for our safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

The NCT is a pisstake to increase the sales of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The NCT is run by a private company. You can bet they are making plenty of profit. They have a Government-mandated monopoly. Their customers must come to them every two years by law! :eek: There is zero risk in their business. It's a money-making machine, FFS!
    This is why it is totally ludicrous that they cant even bother to send you a fricking letter. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Just a quick question as an addition to this:

I have a car that I imported myself and I never NCTed it. I was stopped at a checkpoint this morning and the guard told me he could seize the car for having no NCT. Is that correct or was he just trying to put the frighteners on me? The car is taxed and insured so there's no issues there. I just want to know if it's true for no NCT as I've been gven less-than-accurate information when stopped by guards in the past.

I've been through checkpoints in the past and nothing was said about the NCT, don't know if there's a concerted clampdown in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm in the same boat as you blastman (except I haven't been stopped for it yet). I registered the car, paid my vrt, got my tax, got my incurance etc. but nothing was ever even said about an nct and there's been no request for me to have one done.

i know the onus is on the car owner, but there's been nothing said to me about it in any capacity at all, official or otherwise aside from what I'm reading in this thread now.

i honestly expected to be sent something to tell me i needed to have it done, but this does not seem to be the case.

i have even been receiving an invoice from the VRT office once a month to remind me that my balance is zero and that my transactions this month are zero and that i must pay the owed zero amount in the next 30 days. :)

seriously, every month i get the same thing with lots of zeros on it.

i'm thinking that maybe they registered me as a dealer or something and keep sending me a monthly statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

vibe, I know you have to register the car on the NCT system yourself. You bring the VLC to a test centre and they enter the car's details there and then. Until you do this, the car doesn't exist as far as they're concerned. Completely standalone system.

(I haven't done this either, BTW, just letting you know in case you were expecting them to call you! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

blastman wrote: »
    vibe, I know you have to register the car on the NCT system yourself...

Only if the car doesn't exist on the Shannon vehicle database, ie imports etc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The NCT is run by a private company. You can bet they are making plenty of profit. They have a Government-mandated monopoly. Their customers must come to them every two years by law! :eek: There is zero risk in their business. It's a money-making machine, FFS!
    This is why it is totally ludicrous that they cant even bother to send you a fricking letter. :mad:
    Whilst they may wwell be making loads of profit, they are on a fixed fee from the Dept. of Transport and do not make money each time someone fails, etc.
    As for it being a Govt. mandated monopoly, what do you suggest? Do you think the UK system is better where the same place can fix the items that you fail on? Furthermore, its not really Govt mandated - its there because of an EU directive that the Irish Govt ignored for a very long time!
    Just because you know some big words doesn't mean that your post is correct!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Whilst they may wwell be making loads of profit, they are on a fixed fee from the Dept. of Transport and do not make money each time someone fails, etc.
    As for it being a Govt. mandated monopoly, what do you suggest? Do you think the UK system is better where the same place can fix the items that you fail on? Furthermore, its not really Govt mandated - its there because of an EU directive that the Irish Govt ignored for a very long time!
    Just because you know some big words doesn't mean that your post is correct!

Excellent post.

Advertisement