Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a credit card possible?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Been on disability a couple of years now. Just wondering if anyone has any experience trying to get a credit card from their bank.

I presumed credit cards were generally only given to people earning a regular wage.

Is it possible for people on disability to get credit cards?
    I have no clue about financial stuff so please go easy on me!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I presume it will depend on your ability to pay it off. They will check your income etc. so if you're on a disability allowance then that'll be taken into account.

Perhaps if you're not on a regular income a 3V card might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I was hoping someone here would be able to tell me if they had successfully applied for one despite being on disability allowance. Maybe I'm simplifying it too much and there are other things they take into account.

I have a 3v card but it sucks for some things. Unfortunatly, on some sites, ridiculously, it is impossible to get the total price including shipping, without first entering a credit card number!

Cheers for the reply

Sorry I can't help, still a student so income wouldn't really allow for a credit card, it would be no harm contacting itsyourmoney.ie or askaboutmoney.ie as they might be in a better position to tell you what income levels you might need. Presumably it woudl affect your credit limit etc., but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get a credit card.

Most banks have a student credit card and as we know students wouldn't neccessarily have credit records or reliable incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i don't see why you couldn't get a credit card while on DA. Your credit limit would probably be quite low however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I've heard of some stay-at-home mums getting credit cards in their own names, though they have no direct income themselves. While it's not quite the same as Disability Allowance, it does suggest that you don't neccessarily have to have outside income. I guess the only way to know for sure is to apply. I'd imagine that Halifax might be one of the more flexible banks, or perhaps whoever you have your current account with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

You could always argue with your bank that your income is guarenteed where as wage earners income isnt!

For that reason I cant see why you would be refused.

I guess its the same for a pensioner, would they be refused? I doubt it.

My parents live in the UK, but they have Irish credit cards and Lazer cards which they applied for with their Irish bank whilst living in the UK. They got them with no problems.

I would say it all depends on your relationship with your bank and bank manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

What ever chance you may have had its less now with the credit crunch.

As said before it'll depend on your earnings and assets, should you manage to get one the limit on it will be small I'd imagine.

The best people to ask are in the bank, so I suggest you contact the various institutions and explain your situation and let them tell you for sure rather than us guessing and assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Amz wrote: »
    The best people to ask are in the bank, so I suggest you contact the various institutions and explain your situation and let them tell you for sure rather than us guessing and assuming.

Best advice alright. We're only making barely educated guesses & assumptions about your credit status :)

Advertisement