Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open day

• 17-07-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi

Okay, "open day" mightn't be the best choice of words but they're the best I can think of.. :)

Basically asking is there any way for an outsider to learn more about Islam from people for who it is a way of life. Maybe something just as simple as spending a couple of hours at a mosque and chatting to people.

Very unlikely to be converted or anything, I'm an agnostic and likely staying that way, but I love learning about different viewpoints and beliefs and am probably not the only such person around.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

I think that if you stop by a Mosque then they'll be happy to oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

the_new_mr wrote: »
    I think that if you stop by a Mosque then they'll be happy to oblige.

Thanks for the reply!

Is there any day of the week that'd be a good one to stop by?

Also, would it be worth having a go at reading the Koran first? And how difficult would it be to make sense of for a typical Dubliner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not that difficult, there are many English translations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

And how difficult would it be to make sense of for a typical Dubliner?
    If you're interested in reading and getting a handle on what's said in the Qur'an get yourself a good translation, one with a commentary will be essential if you have no or little prior knowledge of the religion. I cannot recommend Muhammad Asad's translation enough, take a look at the (positive) reviews on Amazon and it'll give you an idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

If you're interested in reading and getting a handle on what's said in the Qur'an get yourself a good translation, one with a commentary will be essential if you have no or little prior knowledge of the religion. I cannot recommend Muhammad Asad's translation enough, take a look at the (positive) reviews on Amazon and it'll give you an idea why.

Jeepers, thanks! Yeah, I've pretty much no knowledge whatsoever, this looks like a really good suggestion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement