Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now that's dedication!!!

• 17-07-2008 5:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

From The Daily Mail -
    'A group of 12 avid Manchester City fans have proved their dedication by hiring a 72-foot fishing trawler to take them to this week's UEFA Cup qualifier in the Faroe Islands - 26 hours by sea - after being priced out of flying. And such dedication has earned the dozen supporters sponsorship from football magazine FourFourTwo - who are providing beer for the entire journey. The epic journey will start from with a drive from Manchester to Aberdeen before embarking on a 12-hour overnight ferry to Lerwick on the Shetland Islands. From there, The Three Sisters - fully kitted out for deep sea divers with 14 sleeping compartments, a kitchen, toilet and shower - will set sail for Torshavn in the Faroe Islands in potentially rough seas and arrive Thursday, the day of the game against EB Streymur. They will return by trawler on Sunday. The group, led by exhibition organiser Leighton Gobbett are all aged between 25-40 and follow idols City everywhere'

Absolute hereos, every single one of them!

So what are the biggest extremes you've gone to to get to a game?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Free beer for the trip?

You know they're going to end up in Finland or somewhere, scratching their heads and saying 'Dude, wait, what?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dude-wait-what.jpg

Haha! Thought I'd seen it in a lolcat alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol looks like the trawler trip had to be cancelled due to bad weather. But fear not! The lads are still going -

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1433502.ece
    Help for Faroes

TWELVE footie fans were saved by The Sun yesterday — after a fishing boat hired to get them to a match was halted by stormy seas.

The Manchester City nuts had booked a 72ft trawler to get to the Faroe Islands for a Uefa Cup tie tonight to save on air fares.

Their £285-a-head trip — after a drive from Manchester to Aberdeen and a ferry to the Shetland Islands — was scuppered when the skipper refused to start the 26-hour final leg from Lerwick due to 20ft waves.

But the lads’ despair turned to joy when we stepped in to get them to see manager Mark Hughes and their heroes play EB/Streymur.

We teamed up with Atlantic Airways — paying £4,000 on fuel costs — to get them to the remote venue on the Danish islands in style.

Fan Leighton Gobbett, 27, said: “The Sun and Atlantic Airways have been our knights in shining armour.”

Atlantic boss Magni Arge, a part-time commentator for the Faroese national broadcaster, joined the trip.

He said: “I confess Manchester United is my favourite team in the Premier League.

“But we are all football fans and my first priority was to make sure we could find an aircraft and crew to get these guys to the game.”

He added: “Our national team’s greatest moment was in our very first international when we beat Austria 1-0 back in 1990 — and then of course the historic draw with Scotland more recently.

“I think if Streymur get a result against City it will be up there with those results in Faroes football folklore.

“But, you know, Mark Hughes is an ex-United man, so I don’t think we’ll see that happen.”

The happy fans got another surprise when City’s sponsors Thomas Cook met them at the airport — and got rooms for them overnight.

Danny Talbot of Thomas Cook Sport said: “As official sponsors of Manchester City we are delighted to be able to help out the fans where we can.

“This is certainly a match they will never forget.”

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

There is something fishy about this story ............ :D

• Advertisement

You're just trawling for puns there mike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »

Went to Cork one time.

On the surface of it, hiring a trawler could cause a whole raft of problems.....
    :D

<enter seamen related pun here>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

come on now lads, theres a time and a plaice for fish puns! are we all just makin puns for the halibut :D :pac:

• Advertisement

Im fed up to the gills with fish puns at this stage, one cold hands were bad but grames_bonds scale new heights.
    This thread is really starting to flounder............

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I reckon if they took the boat they'd Streymur than a thousand miles off course. Pity they didn't make it all the way by trawler, but it was a Faer-old effort all the same.

Could be a good match, im sure they will have a whale of a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

IrishMike wrote: »
    Could be a good match, im sure they will have a whale of a time

Can you say that again? I didn't quite catch it.

Can you say that again? I didn't quite catch it.

Ill bet you did get it but you are saying that on porpoise to make me repeat myself! Careful Xavi you dont want to make anemone out of me :D:D:D:D

Fish puns make me laugh.
    Laughing is good for the sole

Fish puns make me laugh.
    Laughing is good for the sole

Laughing is also contageous, its a pity i dont hear it too often though as im hard of herring....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was that guy ****-stirring with his comments about Man United? I wonder what Arge meant?

Laughing is also contageous, its a pity i dont hear it too often though as im hard of herring....

haha you're like a stand up comedian, you're the next lee mackeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

This has to be a cod really , I can't see why they'd bother going to all that trouble to see some minnows play , against a Faroese team:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Lads, ye better change your tuna fairly sharpish - the fish puns are starting to wear a bit thin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This story brings a ray of hope, these lads certainly aren't the prawn sandwich brigade.

Oh Cod these fish puns are making me eel, Des i was hoping of all people wouldnt take the bait.

Seriously, I don't wanna carp on about it but can we give it a rest?

You're just trawling for a reaction. You won't hook me.

damnit mike you beat me to the eel pun,

i thaught for a few seconds that this thread was finished but it seems to be moving along swimmingly!

Thats debaitable!

Thats debaitable!

hey im having a whale of a time!

C'mon, back to the match... my prediction is that Micah Richards will take a dive for City to net the winner late on from the spot

• Advertisement

Oh and apologies for joining the pun-off lads - probably shouldn't just have come wading in without asking...

i hope there's no bad tackles coz they can really sting-ray!

Trying to worm your way back into the match discussion, Grames?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I bet none of them had to take a 38 bus from Blanchardstown to Phibsboro, Dalymount. Now thats a trip and half at times !!!

EDIT : Better add a fish pun !

This thread is a reel shame !!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Fair play to them. Mind you, it'd be a reel kick in the pollocks for the lads if the minnows from the Faroes could get a result :D

I'm glad more people are chipping in here - I felt like we were being a bit shellfish there for a bit

• Advertisement

do people know the players on this minnow team? do they have a good goalscorer, or even a goal poacher!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I cant remeber having elver seen this team play, I hope this campign doesn't end in a European Flounder for City

all city need is a good natural goalscorer, like rudd van nistelrooy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I can definitely sea Man City getting a result here.

Paid an extra €150 on my round trip to thailand so I could stop off in Amsterdamage to see United play in the tournament

• Advertisement
Advertisement