Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart going ahead...??

Options
  • 17-07-2008 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I heard a rumour that the Mart is not likely to go ahead - anyone heard anything similar??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I heard the same rumour the other day but with no further details. Its logical given the current economic situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

If you owned that nice plot of land and could do anything on it-except build a shopping centre as you cant get permission, what would you do?
    The typical thing would be to build apartments on it-as it would probably make a profit, but persoanlly i'd love a couple of shops and a nice park, and a place for teens to hang out in..
    What would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I heard a rumour that the Mart is not likely to go ahead - anyone heard anything similar??
    Are they building a new cattle mart there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Not unless the farmers want to abandon Cillin Hill and return to the old site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

I heard it as well from my buddy who works in commercial banking and was involved in the deal. He told me that funding for the project is now gone and they are looking for other partners to bring in but nobody will touch with a barge pole. Kind of makes sense in the current economic climate. Personally, we are better in getting 2 shopping areas that work (MacDonagh, Market Cross/High St) rather than 3 average ones. Marks will probably go to McDonagh maybe int he front section that has not been built. I was in there the other week and they had people working on Eddie Rockets which means it will be open soon. I am really looking forward to the Bowling Alley opening - beleive that will be round October/November. There are a few other stores with signs due to open like bag Shop etc... so it may be starting to get off the ground. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Perhaps Dunnes could feck off out of MacDonagh Junction and then M&S could take their site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

I'd say were stuck with Dunnes - don't think they like other people going in their stores. Sure it doesn't look like we will have another store taking over where they were on Parliament Street. At least we only now have two of them and maybe they might try and get the two them trading well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SuchALiar

Stephen wrote: »
    Perhaps Dunnes could feck off out of MacDonagh Junction and then M&S could take their site :)

Here here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

+1

Any time I'm in there, the staff at the checkouts look bored out of their trees because things are so quiet. Those fridges full of Capri Sun and Coke look ominous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

there always seems to be a rack of clothes on sale becasue they dont get the best turnover..
    but the bad side is that they dont have much of a range like the other place.. i've never even been to the far end of the clothes section..

• Advertisement
Advertisement