Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas - a call for evidence

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Evidence, please, and a well-known selective misquote from Giscard d'Estaing doesn't count.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lisbon-treaty/referendum-questions-stump-the-experts-1398557.html

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I can see how you could construe that link as an answer to my question, if you were being wilfully obtuse, but how exactly does it show that the treaty was made on purpose almost impossible to read or understand?

On purpose?

Sorry.

I'll admit, it's only incomprehensible through incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Evidence, please, and a well-known selective misquote from Giscard d'Estaing doesn't count.
    http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=4162
    :pac:

dresden8 wrote: »
    On purpose?

Sorry.

Really? Do you understand it, or are you incompetent?
    I could have sworn I said something about selective misquotes from Giscard d'Estaing not counting. Besides, you do know he didn't draft the Lisbon Treaty, don't you?

• Advertisement

He didn't write the lisbon treaty he wrote the "EU Constitution",same thing buddy.:pac:

What quotes would you like?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Is the lisbon treaty written in a different style to previous treaties, like Nice for example? Is it much bigger? If so, would that not be because it is quite a large overhaul of how the EU operates?

Really? Do you understand it, or are you incompetent?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean.

I only provided a situation where a judge was unclear on the meaning of the Lisbon treaty, him being trained in the law and all, not like the rest of us plebs.

I must heartily apologise if it didn't fit in with the pre-conditions of your question skilfully and specifically designed to produce only one answer.

Once again, apologies.

lol dresden:D

He didn't write the lisbon treaty he wrote the "EU Constitution",same thing buddy.:pac:
    If it's the same thing, why is d'Estaing quoted as commenting on the differences between them?
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean.
    I actually misinterpreted your point, for which I apologise: it's now clear that you are claiming that those who drafted the Treaty were incompetent. Doubtless this opinion is that of someone with extensive experience in drafting comprehensible international treaties.
    I only provided a situation where a judge was unclear on the meaning of the Lisbon treaty, him being trained in the law and all, not like the rest of us plebs.
    Presumably your point being that an international treaty, drafted over the course of eight years between twenty-seven countries, should be instantly comprehensible to the man in the street without any possibility of ambiguity arising.

This, of course, is the norm in the drafting of laws - they are flawless from their inception, and completely unambiguous. That is why there are no courts whose function it is to interpret laws, and why judges can instantly pronounce judgement on any matter without retiring to consider their verdict or consult case law.
    I must heartily apologise if it didn't fit in with the pre-conditions of your question skilfully and specifically designed to produce only one answer.
    There's no such thing as a question designed to produce only one answer. If a question produces a stupid answer, perhaps you should check your premises.

But that's probably a lot to ask.

• Advertisement

Presumably your point being that an international treaty, drafted over the course of eight years between twenty-seven countries, should be instantly comprehensible to the man in the street without any possibility of ambiguity arising.

Ah, the irony. The number of threads on this forum where posters have claimed to understand the treaty and agree with it's provisions. All of them "Yes" voters by the way. Urging us to vote yes because of how transparent the treaty is. "No" voters are stupid because they don't "understand" the provisions of the treaty.

So we're now agreed, the provisions of the treaty are to be decided in interminable court cases, not in the provisions of the treaty vote?
    There's no such thing as a question designed to produce only one answer.

What if you ask the question enough times until you get the right answer. Does that count?

If it's the same thing, why is d'Estaing quoted as commenting on the differences between them?
    Ever play with a jigsaw when you were a child?:D

Ah, the irony. The number of threads on this forum where posters have claimed to understand the treaty and agree with it's provisions. All of them "Yes" voters by the way. Urging us to vote yes because of how transparent the treaty is. "No" voters are stupid because they don't "understand" the provisions of the treaty.

So we're now agreed, the provisions of the treaty are to be decided in interminable court cases, not in the provisions of the treaty vote?
    It must be great to live in a perfectly binary world, with no shades of grey whatsoever.

Are you saying that the only acceptable treaty is one that's perfectly unambiguous in all its provisions, with no possibility whatsoever of misinterpretation?
    I doubt you'll be able to produce a single example of a thread where anyone has claimed to perfectly understand every single provision of the treaty, or that none of it would ever be open to future interpretation. But feel free to try.What if you ask the question enough times until you get the right answer. Does that count?
    If the question is asked often enough that people can see there's only one sensible answer, then maybe that's fair enough.
    Ever play with a jigsaw when you were a child?:D
    As recently as yesterday, actually. Did you have a point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

There are some great arguments here about the validity of Libertas and its backers. The questions about how honest they were in the campaign also have merit

BUT

If what you guys are suggesting is true why have the European Union or the government not jumped all over them by now?

I beleive firmly that something is not right about Libertas, they stink but I cannot put my finger on it so I wont make any guesses but if a bunch of internet nerds with a bit of political and social know how can disect them like this thread has done--- how come the Government and the EU cannot just put down like the dogs they seem to be?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah, the irony. The number of threads on this forum where posters have claimed to understand the treaty and agree with it's provisions. All of them "Yes" voters by the way.

I would hope they are all Yes voters. After all why would a No voter "agree with its provisions" yet still vote No? :p
    On purpose?

Sorry.

Out of curiousity, how many international treaties have you read? And how many have had, by their nature, to refer back to multiple other treaties? I'm aghast at how often this point comes up when the people who keep shouting it have probably a) never read an international treaty in their lives and b) never bothered to look at Lisbon itself either. What makes you an authority on this subject dresden? How can you say that this is any more or less copmprehensible than any other treaty?

I'm not saying it was easy to read, or easy to understand. But very few legal documents are. However there were non-biased clear summaries available and a lot of the more contentious elements of the Treaty were actually fairly readable, such as the whole "self-amending Treaty" nonsense. I read the "offending" article and understood it first time around. And lo and behold it did exactly what the Referendum Commission said it did.
    He didn't write the lisbon treaty he wrote the "EU Constitution",same thing buddy.

Here's the kicker blackgold - they weren't the same thing at all. Another common misconception. The reforms that both were introducing were mainly the same, with a few changes to satisfy the French. However the two were fundamentally very different on the whole. The Constitution pulled together all of the aspects of the previous Treaties plus the reforms into one readable document (which is one of the main points to a Constitution, the people must be able to read and understand it). The Lisbon Treaty was just the reforms alone, which had to be applied to all previous treaties, therefore became far more complex - treaties are naturally quite complex anyway and one that has to refer back and apply to multiple other treaties is only going to be more difficult to read and understand. Sadly its the nature of the beast.
    "No" voters are stupid because they don't "understand" the provisions of the treaty.

Very few, if anyone, has said anything like that. The whole point of this thread is due to the fact that Libertas lied about the Treaty and some people based their votes on these lies. On top of that a lot of No voters (22% according to that gallup poll) voted No because they didn't understand it. While I will not say that not understanding it is stupid, I will say that voting No for that reason is a stupid reason to vote No. The info was out there for people who were bothered, and at worst some voters (both Yes and No) were lazy for not putting in the time and effort into informing themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

molloyjh wrote: »
    Very few, if anyone, has said anything like that. The whole point of this thread is due to the fact that Libertas lied about the Treaty and some people based their votes on these lies. On top of that a lot of No voters (22% according to that gallup poll) voted No because they didn't understand it. While I will not say that not understanding it is stupid, I will say that voting No for that reason is a stupid reason to vote No. The info was out there for people who were bothered, and at worst some voters (both Yes and No) were lazy for not putting in the time and effort into informing themselves.

True, but at the same time you should not view a referendum as a decision with two unknown outcomes. From the very start it is the responsibility of the Yes side to sell the product. They have to outline clearly reasons why the product should be bought, and allay fears of the repercussions of buying it. And putting your picture on a poster with a tiny vote YES in the corner with a view to promoting yourself for 2009 is not being a good salesman.

In the end a lot of people weren't satisfied they had been given enough positive reasons to buy the product. So they did what I would do if I found out a product was not to me standards: they didnt buy it, and voted NO

turgon wrote: »
    True, but at the same time you should not view a referendum as a decision with two unknown outcomes. From the very start it is the responsibility of the Yes side to sell the product. They have to outline clearly reasons why the product should be bought, and allay fears of the repercussions of buying it. And putting your picture on a poster with a tiny vote YES in the corner with a view to promoting yourself for 2009 is not being a good salesman.

In the end a lot of people weren't satisfied they had been given enough positive reasons to buy the product. So they did what I would do if I found out a product was not to me standards: they didnt buy it, and voted NO

But the Treaty isn't a product turgon. This isn't some inconsequential thing that the Government will get commission from if they sell it. It is a matter of national concern, and more-so of European concern, and needs to be treated with the approriate level of responsibility. To say that the Irish people should just sit back and be told what to do by others, be they FF or Libertas, FG or SF, abdicates all personal responsibility. I wouldn't trust any of them myself to be honest anyway.

If you are going to vote on a matter like this, something that is genuinely important, then you have a responsibility to ensure you have at least some form of idea of what you're talking about, and to hell with the vested interests. This (as others have pointed out) is not written down anywhere, but is more a matter of ethics and logic. Why should a nation (and in this case a group of 27 nations) be directed by ignorance or lies (if you look at the gallup poll it suggests 22% ignorance and roughly 16-18% lies/un-truths on the No side, even if half true that's approx 20%) just because those who spouted them were more convincing.

Hitler was very convincing. His oration style and his passion led to one of the worst and most shameful periods in humanities history. Surely we should be learning from things like this. Surely we should be learning to see beyond organised groups and their rhetoric because we've seen where blind faith can take us, and sometimes it takes us to places we don't really want to go and seriously regret.

<Melodrama ends here> ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

There are some great arguments here about the validity of Libertas and its backers. The questions about how honest they were in the campaign also have merit

BUT

If what you guys are suggesting is true why have the European Union or the government not jumped all over them by now?

I beleive firmly that something is not right about Libertas, they stink but I cannot put my finger on it so I wont make any guesses but if a bunch of internet nerds with a bit of political and social know how can disect them like this thread has done--- how come the Government and the EU cannot just put down like the dogs they seem to be?

Mark

Probably because they didn't do anything illegal (probably). They simply exploited the system.

Probably because they didn't do anything illegal (probably). They simply exploited the system.

There is nothing to stop the likes of Libertas saying what they want about Lisbon. It would be perfectly legal for them to say that it would pave the way for invasion and enslavement at the hands of a vicious alien race who will use us as game in a massive planetary hunt. Its a bit crazy, but to attempt to regulate campaigning in general (as was discussed yesterday) would be very difficult.....

I'm not saying it was easy to read, or easy to understand. But very few legal documents are. However there were non-biased clear summaries available and a lot of the more contentious elements of the Treaty were actually fairly readable, such as the whole "self-amending Treaty" nonsense. I read the "offending" article and understood it first time around. And lo and behold it did exactly what the Referendum Commission said it did.

Well that's a change at least. We've now moved from a position where the treaty was understandable and no voters were idiots who couldn't understand it.

Are we now voting on summaries?

• Advertisement

We've now moved from a position where the treaty was understandable and no voters were idiots who couldn't understand it.

I don't think we were ever seriously in that position to begin with. Certainly there are always going to be a few gobsheens making sweeping nonsense statements like that, but the core position here never held that view, at least that I saw.
    Are we now voting on summaries?

Unless you think that everyone should have read the Treaty from start to finish (and by definition every other EU treaty aswell) then yes we should be voting on the summaries. In every election and referendum that is exactly what we do anyway, why should this be any different? Do you see every last detail of what a political party intends/promises to do when they get to power or do you go off their manifesto, which is just a summary? When you voted in the likes of the divorce and/or abortion referenda (assuming you did) did you actually read the articles of law involved or did you go with the summary, i.e. Yes means we get divorce/abortion, No means we don't?

I don't think we were ever seriously in that position to begin with. Certainly there are always going to be a few gobsheens making sweeping nonsense statements like that, but the core position here never held that view, at least that I saw.

The level of contempt shown to no voters, even on this board, is quite high.

A large portion of the no vote, I think, came because politicians effectively said "trust us, we know what we're doing".

They got their answer based on that statement.

They may need to be told twice.

The level of contempt shown to no voters, even on this board, is quite high.

A large portion of the no vote, I think, came because politicians effectively said "trust us, we know what we're doing".

They got their answer based on that statement.

They may need to be told twice.

If the Irish people really want to send a message to our politicians they should be doing it in the GE's. Thats one of the things about this that really bugs me, because they don't do it then. I agree that the Yes campaign was a disgrace and goes to show that the politicians have no idea whats going on "on the ground".

As for contempt for No voters, a lot of what I have seen has been aimed more at individuals than No voters as a whole. Some have invited it on themselves by rehashing the same points over and over despite the fact that they are dealt with over and over. It gets very frustrating after a while. And there does seem to be a bit of melodrama on behalf of some No voters, who hear a certain amount of criticism levelled their way and start shouting about how all Yes voters are looking down their noses at No voters, when all that really happened was one individual Yes voter passing a remark on one individual No voter.

That being said there are always gobsheens aswell.... :pac:

If the Irish people really want to send a message to our politicians they should be doing it in the GE's. Thats one of the things about this that really bugs me, because they don't do it then. I agree that the Yes campaign was a disgrace and goes to show that the politicians have no idea whats going on "on the ground".

That being said there are always gobsheens aswell.... :pac:

Well, that's two things we agree on. There's hope for us yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

If the Irish people really want to send a message to our politicians they should be doing it in the GE's. Thats one of the things about this that really bugs me, because they don't do it then.

Its an interesting conundrum that we seem to vote in the corrupt and greedy politicians again and again. In our neighbouring country, any politician who has been found out to have taken money illegally or to have even claimed expenses legally but where it can be seen to be wrong, is pressured to resign.

In Ireland, they simply brazen it out and keep claiming, like father Ted, that "the money was only resting in my account" or some such nonsense. We even have two former prime ministers who deny they have done anything wrong, while all the time tens and hundreds of thousands of pounds can't be accounted for in their bank accounts. I wish, like you, that we could grow up and imprison politicians, and others, who steal and defraud and don't pay their taxes. But instead, we vote them in again at the next general election to draw their bloated salaries, and expenses, all of which we have to pay for.

We're a funny lot really.

Well, that's two things we agree on. There's hope for us yet!

Ah sure where would we be without a bit of "discussion" anyway! ;)
    auerillo wrote: »
    Its an interesting conundrum that we seem to vote in the corrupt and greedy politicians again and again. In our neighbouring country, any politician who has been found out to have taken money illegally or to have even claimed expenses legally but where it can be seen to be wrong, is pressured to resign.

In Ireland, they simply brazen it out and keep claiming, like father Ted, that "the money was only resting in my account" or some such nonsense. We even have two former prime ministers who deny they have done anything wrong, while all the time tens and hundreds of thousands of pounds can't be accounted for in their bank accounts. I wish, like you, that we could grow up and imprison politicians, and others, who steal and defraud and don't pay their taxes. But instead, we vote them in again at the next general election to draw their bloated salaries, and expenses, all of which we have to pay for.

We're a funny lot really.

Very much so! If only we could get the thousands that don't bother voting to get out and vote against the incumbents next time....imagine the message it would send!

Or wait, we could have a wee chat with Mr Ganley and......... :D

So we end up with a consitution thats decided by uninformed morons led by nutjobs who couldnt even get elected to run a village fair.

Here's one of those we discussed earlier

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055363358

Post #8

Here's one of those we discussed earlier

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055363358

Post #8

I think I understand the point being made here,even though it is badly phrased. Basically any fringe group can say what they like and they will affect some people regardless of the facts. For as great as our system is that is a huge flaw in it especially if one of these groups gets enough attention and support. There needs to be some way of ensuring that no group, political or not, can twist the truth and deceive voters on these issues. As hard asthat may be we need to ensure the people speak on the truth of the matters at hand and not some vested interests spin on them. This is just a general point re our system not specific to Lisbon...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I think I understand the point being made here,even though it is badly phrased. Basically any fringe group can say what they like and they will affect some people regardless of the facts. For as great as our system is that is a huge flaw in it especially if one of these groups gets enough attention and support. There needs to be some way of ensuring that no group, political or not, can twist the truth and deceive voters on these issues. As hard asthat may be we need to ensure the people speak on the truth of the matters at hand and not some vested interests spin on them. This is just a general point re our system not specific to Lisbon...

True - there's no requirement for anyone to ever vote on the basis of facts, or even with any reference to reality whatsoever. As you say, that applies across the board - indeed, I would say our voting habits at general elections more or less prove that we don't vote with the facts.

Obviously, though, there's a temptation to claim that a vote going your way proves your 'facts' are correct.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
Advertisement