Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Apologises to Aborigines - Pope Approves

• 17-07-2008 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Clicky
    Earlier Pope Benedict met top leaders and praised the Australian government for apologising to the country's indigenous people for past injustices.

He called the apology a "courageous decision" that had offered hope to other disadvantaged people around the world.

So, I presume this means that the Pope will of course be apologising, on behalf of the Catholic Church, to gay people for centuries of prejudice, women and pagans for medieval burnings, the Islamic/Arab world for the Crusades, and pretty much everyone for the Inquisition?

If not, y'know, that'd make him quite a hypocrite.

Note: This is a religion bashing thread. Make your own thread if you don't want to bash the Pope.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

see what your saying...

but what can ya do? It all happened ages ago (inquisition & crusades im on about).... He's old.. course he blames Pop culture for young hooligans turning away from the church, couldn't be the hypocrisy and abuse down thru the years or anything like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Zillah wrote: »
    Note: This is a religion bashing thread. Make your own thread if you don't want to bash the Pope.

<3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/674246.stm

looks like john paul beat you to it though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Slow day at the office, Zillah?

Okay we don't like the pope, but bringing up the inquisition and crusades is a bit, well, noobish!

EDIT: Pope JP ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

see what your saying...

but what can ya do? It all happened ages ago (inquisition & crusades im on about).... He's old.. course he blames Pop culture for young hooligans turning away from the church, couldn't be the hypocrisy and abuse down thru the years or anything like that.

Well, no, I don't think anyone should apologise for the acts of anyone else really, but if he's going to salute the Aussie apology then one of his own might be appropriate.
    <3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/674246.stm

looks like john paul beat you to it though.

That is far more than I expected.

Still all very vague and limp wristed though, no?
    Dades wrote: »
    Okay we don't like the pope, but bringing up the inquisition and crusades is a bit, well, noobish!

Yes, of course, in most contexts. But he's the one approving of apologies for crimes that took place centuries ago. If he lauds the Aussie apology to the natives as brave and appropriate then he should be apologising to the Muslim world for the crusades.

yeah, but it's a small step in the right direction. Maybe in another 500 years they will apologise for mel gibson.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.heraldry/2007-10/msg00102.html
    Vatican declares Knights Templar innocent for 700th anniversary

The Roman Catholic Church graciously acknowledged that the Knights
    Templar were innocent last week, exactly seven days before the 700th
    anniversary of the persecution of the Order.
    well, maybe a little bit longer than 500...

• Advertisement

Ahaha, that Templar thing is classic. So believe it or not but they weren't Satanists and Sodomisers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Ahaha, that Templar thing is classic. So believe it or not but they weren't Satanists and Sodomisers!

Are the Templars the ones protecting Jesus' kids or are they the ones wearing the cilice? I can never remember.

Edited to add:
    lackoffaith.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pH wrote: »
    Are the Templars the ones protecting Jesus' kids or are they the ones wearing the cilice? I can never remember.
    The (Da Vinci code'esque) Opus Dei are the dudes who wear the S&M stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

pH wrote: »
    Duh:) The Templars were the worlds first Investment Bankers, and it is the good old sekrit Opus Dei that are into the masochism.
    *waiting for some Opus Deii sekrit agent to come and magically edit this, see wikipedia*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Dades wrote: »
    The (Da Vinci code'esque) Opus Dei are the dudes who wear the S&M stuff. :pac:
    Asiaprod wrote: »
    Duh:) The Templars were the worlds first Investment Bankers, and it is the good old sekrit Opus Dei that are into the masochism.
    *waiting for some Opus Deii sekrit agent to come and magically edit this, see wikipedia*

Atheism mods FTW - never leave any deep theological question unanswered for long*.

Now, I thought this was a POPE BASHING THREAD!!!!!
    nahtseezha9.png

* In my defence I couldn't read 'The DaVinci code', and turned off the film halfway through - still I learned everything that I know about Catholicism from that film**.

** May not be entirely true given that I attended Catholic primary school for 6 years.

• Advertisement

pope_bush_narrowweb__300x433,0.jpg
    pope_benedict_xvi_with_saturno_1.jpg
    pope_benedict_prada3.jpg
    pope_dove_wideweb__430x410.jpg
    131_Kissing%20Pope01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

So, I presume this means that the Pope will of course be apologising, on behalf of the Catholic Church, to gay people for centuries of prejudice, women and pagans for medieval burnings, the Islamic/Arab world for the Crusades, and pretty much everyone for the Inquisition?

If not, y'know, that'd make him quite a hypocrite.

How pathetic. Why don't you educate yourself and stop propagating myths??

http://catholiceducation.org/articles/history/world/wh0055.html
    http://catholiceducation.org/articles/history/world/wh0075.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Madden

catholideducation.org... well with an url like that you just know it's going to be impartial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

catholideducation.org... well with an url like that you just know it's going to be impartial.
    In this case the defendant is guilty until proved innocent.

For starters, the Crusades to the East were in every way defensive wars.

Ahahahaha. Quickly men, use your shields and defensive formations to sack Jerusalem!

In truth, the Inquisition brought order, justice, and compassion

Ahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

pope_bush_narrowweb__300x433,0.jpg

Pope: "Here lads, watch this cool cartwheel followed by a back flip!"

Bush: "If he breaks his neck, I'm having those bitchin' shoes!

Advertisement