Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Otis Redding - he was just getting well known and it would have been interesting to see the direction his career would have taken if not for his death.

also Mic Christopher

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Where to start?

Cliff Burton
    Tupac Shakur
    Jim Morrisson
    Jimi Hendrix
    Kurt Cobain
    Rory Gallagher

...and thats just off the top of my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Paul McCartney

or, if he cleaned up, Bob Stinson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

lmao @ Paul McCartney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Jimi Hendrix, although chances are, he would just drug himself to death again, so it'd have to be someone who died of causes not brought on by himself.

I'd go for Frank Zappa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Elvis Presley

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

? who:confused:

Stevie Ray....Vaughan?

And before you start yelling "Blues!", he's easily more rock and less pop than John Lennon or Elvis, at least by today's definition of 'rock'.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Elvis presley, actually he is still alive check out the pic attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What age is he when he comes back? No one wants a 70 year old Elvis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

I got talking to an aging musician last year, he was part of the no wave scene in new york during the 80’s, nice guy, but he’s still clinging on to the moderate success he had more than 20 years ago. He was a peer with a lot of bands I like, claims he drank with Jeffrey Lee Pierce from The Gun Club. But nowadays he’s a self parody pursuing teenage European girls. I realised he probably was a cool guy in the 1980’s, some of the music he made is pretty good, I realised the only mistake he made was not dying like most of his better known peers. For this reason I feel artists are sometimes better off dead, for the sake of their reputations and artistic credibility.

I seen Nick Cave live recently, he laughed and joked and played music that sounded very standard and almost emm… nice, far from the Birthday Party performances I grew up watching, they scared the sh*t out of me. Not that I’m advocating the mans death, but his being alive certainly – for me – detracts at times from his younger self.

Anyway, as far as dead musicians go, you need only play their albums to resurrect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Elvis: 73 this year, 74 in January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Kurt Cobain for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Alex Kidd

Jeff Buckley,
    Joe Strummer,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Jimi Hendrix, Mick Ronson, Eddie Hazel, Sun Ra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

If I was to pick just one, I would go for Phil Lynott. My mother knew him. They both lived in the same part of North Dublin, Whitehall. She used to see him on the bus in the evening. He spoke to her a good few times. At that point in time he was in a very bad state and it was not too long after that he died. Creative genius, died way before his time. If he was still alive now I am sure he would be involved in the Irish music industry. He certainly would not have let it deteriate to the state it is in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Freddy Mercury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RubberMammy

Robert Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

...but his soul belongs to satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

A lot of the people mentioned here were quite old when they died: Elvis, Joe Strummer, Freddie Mercury, etc. All of them are legends and did great things, but they were on the way down when they died. If they came back would they offer much?

The opposite goes for the people who died young. Cobain, Buckley, Joplin, Jimi. In a strange way they had the perfect career. Produced quality and never let themselves down by softening the edges.

If i could bring someone back it'd be John Bonham. The guy is the greatest drummer of all time and a Led Zeppelin tour would be fantastic. Of all the people who died, he'd bring the most to the table for coming back.

I know he's not a rock star but if i had the power to raise the dead i'd go for Bill Hicks, he'd be relevent today and would probably fight Russel Crowe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rory Gallagher, John Bonham and Phil Lynott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Stevie Ray Vaughan or Rory Gallagher. Moreso Rory because I feel that he didn't receive enough recognition for how good he was.

What idiot suggested the Ramones? or the guy from Joy division??!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Jim Morrison. A true legend.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A lot of the people mentioned here were quite old when they died: Elvis

Joe Strummer

Freddie Mercury

None of them exactly what I'd call ancient. Maybe they weren't at their peak when they died, unlike some of the others you mentioned, but it doesn't mean that they were complete write-offs. The oldest of the three, Joe Strummer, was recording and gigging with The Mescaleros right up to his death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

jim morrison or graem parsons

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Hendrix. Just imaging the amount of music and songs that he could have produced since his death saddens me. He left such a wealth of music in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Elvis. The big 'What if' with Elvis, is what would have happened had he not died when he did. The man should have been cleaning himself up and getting healthy, not touring to fund his manager's gambling habits..

I suspect had he done so, he'd have gone the way of Tom Jones, Johnny Cash etc.. bit of a lag in the 80s but eventually get back to his roots as the 90s kicked in..

Oh yeah.. and 42 is not "quite old" :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Elvis. The big 'What if' with Elvis, is what would have happened had he not died when he did. The man should have been cleaning himself up and getting healthy, not touring to fund his manager's gambling habits..

I suspect had he done so, he'd have gone the way of Tom Jones, Johnny Cash etc.. bit of a lag in the 80s but eventually get back to his roots as the 90s kicked in..

Oh yeah.. and 42 is not "quite old" :eek:

Yeah, but if you were to resurrect Elvis today at the age of 73, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to see him tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I got talking to an aging musician last year, he was part of the no wave scene in new york during the 80’s
    Oooh, who was he?

I'd say Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon. I just know there was a gem of an album in him that no one will ever hear. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Rory Galagher.
    Layne Staley
    Jimi

Advertisement