Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Q- do they ask when a car was bought, ferry ticket?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I am due to look at a car soon and not sure if they can charge back paymednt for the car, pending on how long it was in the country.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I am due to look at a car soon and not sure if they can charge back paymednt for the car, pending on how long it was in the country.?

nope, they wont

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

They didn't ask me either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Nah - not at all.

If they do you could just say you had someone else bring it in and picked it up off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

No don't worry, they didn't even look at my car when it was imported

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Is there a date put on the V5 document of when the car was bought? You coudl always say that you bought the car (pre-July?) & only collected it/ ogt it delivered they other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would this not just affect when you start paying your motor tax rather than VRT?

I doubt the OMSP price will change much from month to month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

eoin_s wrote: »
    Would this not just affect when you start paying your motor tax rather than VRT?

I doubt the OMSP price will change much from month to month?

This point is very relevant for those driving a diesel with low Co2 emission levels. I know one car that the VRT amount has dropped by 25%. (€4k-€3k) due to the switch to emissions based assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

They didn't ask me either. It was listed on the V5 document but they never brought it up.

They didn't ask me either. It was listed on the V5 document but they never brought it up.

+1

My V5c said change of ownership on 30/04/08 and i registered it on 2nd or 3rd of july. They didn't even ask about it. Or look at the car for that matter.

I would have just said that I only picked it up from the person who collected it from the garage yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This point is very relevant for those driving a diesel with low Co2 emission levels. I know one car that the VRT amount has dropped by 25%. (€4k-€3k) due to the switch to emissions based assessment.
    Ah, so if the OP is looking at a car that was imported before July, but wants to pay the VRT that's applicable from after July, it would make the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think this only makes a difference for 08 cars - If a car is less than 6 months old then VAT is also applicable, therefore anything hovering around that date will be inspected fairly closely, otherwise it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I think this only makes a difference for 08 cars - If a car is less than 6 months old then VAT is also applicable, therefore anything hovering around that date will be inspected fairly closely, otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Don't think so.It all depends on the model & whether its a petrol or diesel for example a 2006 2.0TDI passat Sport VRTd before 1st of July would incur at least €3-4k extra in VRT as oppossed to VRTing it now

There were huge savings to be made on low emission cars but to be honest I don't think they can charge the old VRT now that we're in July. I'm open to correction on that though.

Maybe they could fine you or something for late registration but I can't imagine that happening.

Advertisement