Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband (wireless netgear)

Options
  • 17-07-2008 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Recently got my wireless router replaced because it was only working intermittantly. Can't figure out how to get the new one working. I would have thought that you'd just plug it in the same way as the last one and it would start working.

Anyone know how to set it up? Anything to save me from an hour-long ntl tech support call. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Recently got my wireless router replaced because it was only working intermittantly. Can't figure out how to get the new one working. I would have thought that you'd just plug it in the same way as the last one and it would start working.

Anyone know how to set it up? Anything to save me from an hour-long ntl tech support call. :confused:

Ok, first off you need to reset you new modem, hold in the little black reset button at the back of the router for about 15 seconds, wait another 15 seconds before you connect back up the power.

Then connect the router to you computer using a wired connection and pluging the cable into 1 of the 4 ports numbered 1 to 4. Now log into http://192.168.1.1 username:admin, password: password

Once in there, up in the top right hand corner there will be an option to run Connection Setup Wizard, before you select this option, unplug your UPC modem, and once all lights are on connect the modem to the netgear and then run the connection wizard and that should sort you out.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So did you manage to get it set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Just getting around to doing this now. Above link does not seem to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

for the 1st setup you need to connect the router directly to the PC or laptop so it can do all the configuration. Once you plug it in when you try to browse any webpage it will redirect to the router configuration page, just follow the instructions.

Config only takes a couple of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

nava wrote: »
    Hi

for the 1st setup you need to connect the router directly to the PC or laptop so it can do all the configuration. Once you plug it in when you try to browse any webpage it will redirect to the router configuration page, just follow the instructions.

Config only takes a couple of minutes.

Make sure you switch the encryption back on when you reset it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Make sure you switch the encryption back on when you reset it.;)

Where do I switch the encryption back on? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

In mine (Netgear 824) as part of the config it does ask you to enable the encryption to WEP or WPA, if it doesn't ask you or you have already done your config you need to logon to the router, the default url is http://192.168.1.1 on the left hand side you will see something like "Wireless Settings" in the new page you will see the SSID default will be NETGEAR I would recommend you to change it just in case there's another router with same SSID nearby as it can cause problems, In the same page under "Security Options" you will see WPA, WEP, None, etc, you should select WPA (make sure you wifi card/adapter does support it but most of them do) after type a Passphrase (password) use numbers letters and others like @# £"! then click on save.

Then go to to your PC or laptop and search for wireless signal you should see the SSID of your router click on Connect and type your Passphrase.

After you can go back to the Wireless Settings to untick the option "Broadcast SSID" so it will be harder ro find.

If you have problems finding that let us know the exact model and we can guide you better.

Advertisement