Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested PC Build (Any foreseeable issues)

Options
  • 17-07-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Right, I've done a fair wack of research, have read multiple reviews of each of the compentents I have suggested below. I understand the majority of the technology and chipsets. I am not aiming to build a "bragging" PC, I am not going to over clock nor tweak systems. I am building a solid, high quality gaming PC that will hopefully do me 2 years reliable and quiet service, with in a budget of less than 800 euro. I just want to know if any of you know any major issues or problems I may have missed, or can recommend a money saving tip please. Thank you very much for your time and input.

Mainiboard: Intel DG45ID, G45, Socket-775, mATX, DDR2, 1333MHz, GbLAN, PCI (2.0) Ex16, VGA. [99e]

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4GHz Socket 775, 2MB
    (would prefere something that ran cooler like an E8xxx series, but as of yet they are a bit too pricey) [99e]

RAM: 4Gb 800Mhz DDR2 (2xGb) OZC Platinum [85]

Harddrive: Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB [85]

Case: Either Antec Mini-P180 (Black) or the NXZT Rogue (Black w/ Red Lighting) [120e]

PSU: Seasonic M12 500W ( would have prefered a fully Modular PSU so I'd have zero excessive cabling, but can't find any on Komplett) [99e]

GPU: Radeon HD 4850 512MB (but for 60 quid less I can get the still good 3850) [150e]

Optical: SATA DVD RW [25e]

Total cost before postage = 755 (there abouts)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Cant see any problems really. But you will need a 64bit OS to see all 4gb of ram.

Also for 10quid more id go with this cpu:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=351064

And unless you have or are planning to buy a 22" or bigger screen save some dosh and get either of these:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=347774
    or
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341856

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭ACW

Well I was considering spending my tax back on the Gateway 30 inch monster.

In that case you will need a high end quadcore and a 9800gx2 or similarly hien end card. Pushing yoru budget well over 2k.

Couldn't I just get a Q6600 or Q9300? (being cheap Quad Cores)

Wouldn't a 4850 do 2560 x 1600? According to reviews it does. (plus I'd just set game display resoultion to be less)

Then whats the point of havign a 30" if your not going to play at the highest details.

Just go with the above and get a 22" and max it all out. Plus you said you had a budget, guess you dont anymore ;)

• Advertisement

Oh Monitor wasn't part of the budget. Its more of a TV.

but adding in a quad will push you over :)

Suppose I could drop the GPU for the moment as the on board will do till next paycheck. Or should I just go dell (man, even typing that made me feel ill), no seriously, 17" Laptop, with 512 Mb Direct X10 Graphics card, Dual Core Processor and 4Gb of Ram, should be about 750e?

but it wont play games :(

If you can stage the build over 2 pay packets you can get much better stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

For a case get the Antec P182. Its a tweaked p180 with better cable managment, mate built in one recently and it is much neater to route cables in comparison to my antec p180.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341841

PSU:anything by corsair, modular and actually made by Seasonic. Corsair psus are the best modualr Seasonic psus you can get :-)
    (again my mate used one in his recent build, top notch as you would expect from seasonic)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340676

If you are going 30" heed the lads advice, you need to go very high end if you want to play full detail, crossfire or sli tbh.... And regular gfx card changes evey year atleast if you want to stay cutting edge.

Tbh you can get plenty of dacent 22" monitors with tv tuners etc such as
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=347590
    (i am using this atm and I am happy, xbox,main rig, gamecube all hooked up and happy. it really is a telly pretending to be a monitor.)

Thing to remember about a 30" is you are going to want to be sitting back from it a bit. TBH even on a 22" I will sometimes switch to my 17" to browse the web as a large screen can strain the eyes a wee bit when reading text etc..

The nice thing about a bigger screen is that I can run the xbox off it and sit far back on my bed, which was pointless to try on a 17". Even when i am pc gaming on the 22" I sit a good bit back from it.

I would def try to game on someone elses 24" or 22" screen and see how it suits before even thinking of a 30" for gaming.

It will also depend on how much space you have in the room and you room layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 T-max

You could run 32bit Win-XP Prof and it will see just about 3GB RAM and also consider ASUS m'boards as they usually come packed with additional features such as extra SATA ports with RAID functionality etc..

uberpixie wrote: »
    For a case get the Antec P182. Its a tweaked p180 with better cable managment, mate built in one recently and it is much neater to route cables in comparison to my antec p180.

The Mini-P180 is even more advanced than the 182. But Komplett don;t stock it and can't get it from their suppliers (I asked and begged)
    uberpixie wrote:
    PSU:anything by corsair, modular and actually made by Seasonic. Corsair psus are the best modualr Seasonic psus you can get :-)

Noted, changed to HX520 (It also has nicer modular cables)

For moment will live with 17" that I have, will check out different sized one.

Thanks for all the advice folks.
    (Build will have to wait a month, unfortunate series of events)

Advertisement