Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avionics Mechanic

Options
  • 17-07-2008 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

PPl,

no doubt a smiliar topic has been discussed before, however i have been advised today that i will be attending an interview for the above position with ryanair... I served my time in the Royal Navy as an avionics tech working on harrier jets for 4 years... Since moving to ireland i found it difficult to find a full time position in aviation and did not like the prospect of contracts here and there. So i have been working as an electrician... Been out the Navy for 8 months now and therefore wondering what sort of salary range is hould be aiming at in the interview?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

I dont have a clue to be honest, im a first year engineer with SRT and I know well that the ryanair boys have it tough. But with your training and experience id say you would be a very desireable employee.

Ryanair pay for none of your equipment BTW, they even make apprentices pay for their tools and overalls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mat9486

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    I dont have a clue to be honest, im a first year engineer with SRT and I know well that the ryanair boys have it tough. But with your training and experience id say you would be a very desireable employee.

Ryanair pay for none of your equipment BTW, they even make apprentices pay for their tools and overalls!

Jesus i never realised that they make you pay for all of your own euipment thats a bit bad really....

What do you mean when you say they have it tough...do you know whether SRT are employing at the minute? I know with all the recent talks and well documented contract talks they might have slowed down a bit

I mean they have it tough because their tools,overalls,books all come out of their wage slip. And anything else they have to provide for themselves.

Im fairly sure SRT have no permanent jobs going, but I am in no position to tell you this for definite, best thing you can do is contact them yourself, but they are not taking on new apprentices this year.

Im sure there are the usual conracting jobs but as you said your not looking for anything temporary. Sorry that I couldnt be of anymore help. I hope you find something soon.

sorry but they have to pay for there own books as in AP's? oh my god how can they do things like that its rediculous!

Yeah the Ap's, check your PM's!

• Advertisement

Cheers Have replies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mat9486 wrote: »
    Jesus i never realised that they make you pay for all of your own euipment thats a bit bad really....

They're pretty mean that way, have a friend who left before his first year was up, he said the atmosphere was horrible. Wouldn't let it put you off going for the job though, I'm sure not everyone has a bad time there.

atmosphere in what sense? Like everyone pi**ed off with the conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

atmosphere in what sense? Like everyone pi**ed off with the conditions?

Something along those lines, and moany because of it. Doubt it's everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

PPl,

no doubt a smiliar topic has been discussed before, however i have been advised today that i will be attending an interview for the above position with ryanair... I served my time in the Royal Navy as an avionics tech working on harrier jets for 4 years... Since moving to ireland i found it difficult to find a full time position in aviation and did not like the prospect of contracts here and there. So i have been working as an electrician... Been out the Navy for 8 months now and therefore wondering what sort of salary range is hould be aiming at in the interview?

Cheers

I know you're not interested in short term work, but have you given PARC Aviation or any contract agencies a call? Provided you have aircraft tools, they should be able to get you into SRT as a connie. At least when you are actually inside the building more approaches will be available to you.

Since you're only out 8 months can you still apply for education grants from the Navy? I know some friends managed to get money out of the RAF after they left. With your military cabkground you only need 1 yrs documented work experience to apply for a B2 licence through the CAA provided you have the modules done.

• Advertisement

I can still apply for educational grants as far as i am aware yes....I have sent a CV off to parc aviation before however i never heard anything back..I think people are reluctant maybe because of my experience with civillian aircraft only actually involves me going on holidays on one LOL!!!

My interview with RyanAir is this afternoon so i will post and let know how i got on...I think if it is a no go then i may very well start chasing up people on Parc and other contract companies...

I can still apply for educational grants as far as i am aware yes....I have sent a CV off to parc aviation before however i never heard anything back..I think people are reluctant maybe because of my experience with civillian aircraft only actually involves me going on holidays on one LOL!!!

My interview with RyanAir is this afternoon so i will post and let know how i got on...I think if it is a no go then i may very well start chasing up people on Parc and other contract companies...

Best bet with the agencies is to email a CV an then follow up the next day with a call. Agencies rarely call first these day (tight ba$tards!). Look into the grants as well and try start doing B2 courses, SR Technics in Switzerland is reasonably priced, short & aimed at people with experience on a/c.

Of course, if the interview went well, then no need to worry bout it all just yet.

Hi PPl,

The interview was a complete success they called be about an hour after leaving there head office to offer me the position.

I have been offered a palce on starting begining of september. Just not to sure whether to take the position os of yet! Once i told my better half about the 5 on 3 off (permenant nights) shift she was not happy at that prospect at all...Plus the money is a slight bone of contention as its near enough the same as i get now but i only work 9-5 at the minute...got a lot to think of in the coming weeks!

The guy at the interview said that the money would go up dramatically once i get my B2 license however he did say it would go up quite a bit to if i completed my A license. Does anyone have any info on the A license i.e. how long would it take to complete, costs and would any of them exams be transferable to completeing my B2?

Mat

Hi PPl,

The interview was a complete success they called be about an hour after leaving there head office to offer me the position.

I have been offered a palce on starting begining of september. Just not to sure whether to take the position os of yet! Once i told my better half about the 5 on 3 off (permenant nights) shift she was not happy at that prospect at all...Plus the money is a slight bone of contention as its near enough the same as i get now but i only work 9-5 at the minute...got a lot to think of in the coming weeks!

The guy at the interview said that the money would go up dramatically once i get my B2 license however he did say it would go up quite a bit to if i completed my A license. Does anyone have any info on the A license i.e. how long would it take to complete, costs and would any of them exams be transferable to completeing my B2?

Mat

Congrats on job offer. The 5 on 3 off is a bit s**t as you'll probably have difficulty adjusting to day time for ages!

The A licence is pretty rubbish IMO (But relatively easy to pass). None of the exams are transferable and there are no conversion exams from A to B. I completed my B1 exams over 16 months; 2 modules self study & the rest through short courses (total about 12 or 14 weeks) Cost was about €20,000 but that paid for courses,hotels and living expenses I was also working nights at weekends to keep my money up. I studied at Lufthansa in Wales & SR Technics in Zurich. Bristol is also an option but some of their courses are quite long. Check out http://www.lrtt.co.uk & SR Technics Training. It is EXPENSIVE so hopefully the Navy will chip in if you go for it. Also you can always hit the bigger modules through courses an self study the remainder. I found that after a 12 hour day the last thing I wanted was to read about aircraft so I only did Maths & Physics on my own.

I'd recommend booking some exams, maybe at Shannon Aerospace & sitting them blind (no study) so you can guage whether self study is an option.

Anyway I got work to do now.... so enjoy the difficult decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Hi PPl,

Mat

Hi Mat, Im doing my A at the moment, it has been very easy to complete so far in fairness, but then again im not long into it,because of the way im training i have to complete it first, but my point is if I were I would go straight for the B license. Its about 60euro an exam but you might want to pay for courses as well, depends on your own discipline and willingness to study. Heres a good website to give a helping hand.
    http://club66pro.co.uk/
    adrian

thanks... I do have quite a tough decision to make as i know 5 on 3 off will probably kill me in the long run... I have offered the missus a 12 month trial so may still be accepting the offer....

I think i will probably go straight with the B2 license as the A seems a bit of a waste of time... And ill have to complete all of the exams by distance learning.. I dont mind doing it that way as ill get to do it at home during the day hopefully an exam every six weeks or something like that and blast them out! I have found a college in the UK that supplies the material at an average cost for around £150 per module and the exam through them is only £30....Does anyone know anywhere in dublin that i could sit my exams and what cost each exam would come at?

Cheers in Advance

thanks... I do have quite a tough decision to make as i know 5 on 3 off will probably kill me in the long run... I have offered the missus a 12 month trial so may still be accepting the offer....

I think i will probably go straight with the B2 license as the A seems a bit of a waste of time... And ill have to complete all of the exams by distance learning.. I dont mind doing it that way as ill get to do it at home during the day hopefully an exam every six weeks or something like that and blast them out! I have found a college in the UK that supplies the material at an average cost for around £150 per module and the exam through them is only £30....Does anyone know anywhere in dublin that i could sit my exams and what cost each exam would come at?

Cheers in Advance

Agree about going straight for B2
    Only place in Ireland for exams is Shannon Aerospace. If your planning on distance learning; forget about ICAT in Wales (presume thats who you found) as their notes are overpriced & $hite. Get in touch with the training department Flybe Aviation Services in Exeter:

Flybe Aviation Services

Hangar 2, Exeter Airport, Exeter, Devon EX5 2BA
    Tel: 01392 364520

Their notes are cheaper & the exams are far less ambiguous.

Mythago wrote: »
    Agree about going straight for B2
    Only place in Ireland for exams is Shannon Aerospace. If your planning on distance learning; forget about ICAT in Wales (presume thats who you found) as their notes are overpriced & $hite. Get in touch with the training department Flybe Aviation Services in Exeter:

Flybe Aviation Services

Hangar 2, Exeter Airport, Exeter, Devon EX5 2BA
    Tel: 01392 364520

Their notes are cheaper & the exams are far less ambiguous.

Hi there, Thanks for the advice. I will give them a call in the coming weeks. I actually didnt think that just over 150 per exam was that bad but if i can get it cheaper then that would be brilliant...

What do you mean when you say that there exams are less amibiguous?? Surely all the exams are the same?? If i got the notes through them would that mean i had to travel to exeter to sit the exams?

Cheers for all the help on this fellas!

Hi there, Thanks for the advice. I will give them a call in the coming weeks. I actually didnt think that just over 150 per exam was that bad but if i can get it cheaper then that would be brilliant...

What do you mean when you say that there exams are less amibiguous?? Surely all the exams are the same?? If i got the notes through them would that mean i had to travel to exeter to sit the exams?

Cheers for all the help on this fellas!

Well 150 for well written & relevant notes is worth it. But, ICAT's notes while in depth are NOT ideal for home study.

Unfortunately, not all exams are created equal! The CAA's own exam are notoriously ambiguous, i.e 2 answers almost right & 3rd answer slightly more right. 2 friends are currently at ICAT through the RAF and are struggling with the exams as the classwork they are doing bears little relevance to the exams they sit.

Flybe's exams seem more straightforward (although I only sat Physics there) and their notes are only about 30 quid a module! Also you can fly direct to exeter from dublin so it's not too inconvenient.

Also, when you do book exams, always book 1 extra module. So if you decide to sit Maths & Physics, sit aerodynamics as well. The times are cumulative (i.e 40mins+30mins+30mins), so you get all 3 papers at the same time giving you extra time to do the 2 you've studied for. Plus you'll get a look at the possible questions you'll need to study for in the 3rd!

I'd highly recommend sitting courses for Human factors & Air legislation(£300 each I think +accommodation), as they are mind numbingly boring topics with Essay questions. Lufthansa in Wales or SRT in Zurich is best bet for them.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 celticlunatic

Hi PPl,

Mat
    Hi, just wondering if you decided to take the position in the end and what you make of it. Is the 5 on 3 off permanent nights a constant shift rota, are there any options for some weeks of days and other of nites etc??what would a b2 licence mean in terms of salary, i have no idea what the earning potential is and would like to know as much as possible before committing myself to 3 or 4 years of training!!! also does it take long to get the hang of the job and are the exams very hard to do by home study? sorry bout all the questions, hoping you can help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement