Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I report?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice about my neighbours dog please. There is a lovely dog living second next door to me but I'm a bit worried about him as he seems to be a bit abandoned and I'm wondering if I should contact the CSPCA to report it.

Basically, he seems to spend almost all the time in the back garden alone while his owners are at work or wherever. I often hear him crying or barking late into the evening with no sign of the owners. (Last night he was still crying at 11pm). I feel really sorry for him as he seems to be just looking for some company or attention and seems to be getting none at all. Granted I'm not there during the day when I'm at work so I'm not sure if they have him in the house then or not but my husband is at home sometimes during the day and he said that anytime he's there the dog is out the back alone. He looks clean and fed and as far as I can see he has shelter (although it's hard to see the garden from where I am) but I think he's desperately lonely and doesn't get much attention or companionship. Sometimes I stick my head over the fence to say hello to him and his tail nearly wags off with happiness. He's a lovely friendly dog and I would even offer to take him into my house/garden in the evenings but I have a cat and she would not be too impressed!!

I know there are probably plenty of other dogs who are being mistreated physically and this fella isn't but at the same time I think it's a form of neglect. Also, I obviously wouldn't want my neighbour to know it was me that reported it. Would they just send someone out to investigate and advise them or what would happen? Am I just being a busy body? I just hate seeing the poor thing on his own all the time - literally anytime I'm at home he's there alone.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Unfortunately, if he has food, water and some kind of shelter, then there's absolutely no point in reporting it. These are the only things that the owner is legally obliged to provide and as long as they're doing that, then the SPCA/Gardai cannot do a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In the exact same position myself. The dog is so bored she plays with her water dish, tipping all the water out so she's left without all day. And she seems to be truning a bit. If I walk up the garden to the shed she snarls and paces at the other side of the fence, If i take a call out the back (bad reception indoors) she barks her head off. It's so sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Hmm, seems I can't do anything then. Thanks for the replies anyway.

I wish people would stop getting dogs when they know they won't be at home - it's just not fair on the dog :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

Would you consider talking to your neighbour about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Well I did consider it but I've a feeling they would tell me to mind my own business! I was thinking maybe I could offer to take him for a walk or something and mention that he seems lonely - although I don't actually know them and they might just thing I was a crazy person looking to steal their dog!!

I don't know. Plus I don't really have much time for dog walking - especially as it's not my dog! I would love to have a dog but I've decided that it would be irresponsible of me as I wouldn't have the time to devote to it's care. I just get mad that other people don't think the same way on this. I imagine it's like "Oh let's get a puppy, how cute..." cut to a few months later when the dog is bigger / less cute / novelty has worn off and dog being abandoned in the garden for hours on end.

Makes me sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

maybe you could make up some sort of story, like you're thinking of getting a dog and could you spend some time with their dog and walk it for them or something? It's difficult to help an animal until the stupid law is improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I suspect about 50% of the dogs in Ireland are in the same boat as that little guy. Certainly the neighbours all around me have dogs they leave alone in back gardens all day. I feel so sorry for them, but not much to be done about it until someone starts a serious education programme about pet ownership in this country.

I think Kerrysgold's suggestion is a good diplomatic way of approaching them. As long as he will walk on a lead and won't cause trouble. You don't want to find yourself in the situation of not being able to control him.

(The other thing that bugs me so much, is the way people let their pet cats wander around everywhere. I counted 10 squashed cats on the roads on a recent crosscountry trip.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

How about writing a letter to tell them that it upsets you to hear the dog crying on it's own all day and that you are just a concerned nieghbour not a complaining one tell them you think the dog is lovely but you think it would benefit from being walked juring the day and would they consider hiring someone to do so, explain you don't know the full details of it's care and you feel he is looked after well but would benefit from more company.

You don't have to sign your name to it just put across that you believe the dog is well feed and all, but needs more of someones time and that you are just a concerned animal lover.

Advertisement