Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Professional Driving Lesson

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have my first professional driving lesson this evening and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice. I have my learners permit a month this week and my dad, a hackney driver, has been teaching me to drive in my car, (which I didn't ask for and was given cos he didn't want me to scratch his while I'm learning!).
    I was doing quite well while he was teaching me until he decided to try me on junctions (in an industrial estate when no one was around) and I wasn't able to deal with all the instructions he was giving me at once.

He decided then that I need proper lessons, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me regards junctions. My issue is I stop either way before the white line or two far over it. I think it's because I'm aware that I will stop too sonn and then end up stoping too late and vice versa.

I know I'm rambling but I'm just afraid of making a complete fool of myself this evening when all I really want is to learn to drive safely.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Based on my own experience of driving instructors, they will tell you where you're going wrong.
    Had problems with hill starts, changing gears at the right time and reversing around corners. The instructor would tell me where I was going wrong. He would then work the problem into the lessons more frequently so as to practise it a lot. It worked a treat, some took longer than others to resolve but it worked out in the end. Also the instructor recommended more frequency out and about in the car.

Hope that helps.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

It does, thanks. Not sure if my dad will be able to manage to get in the car with me without giving instructions regards practice but I'm sure I can gag him.

Thanks again. I just wasn't really sure what to expect this evening. Hopefully I don't start off bad, first time driving a car other than my own, and that hasn't been often either. Thanks again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The instructor will give you all the advice you need re: driving, but as far as advice for lessons go -

Make sure the instructor is reputable.
    If you feel uncomfortable with the instructor or think they are either teaching you something wrong or just not good at teaching, cancel any further lessons, or in the case where it is a driving school with many instructors, ask for a different one.

Of 6 lessons I took, the first and second were a nightmare. First one the instructor sang through the lesson, and, this being my first time on open roads, made me nervous when he was shouting OH! coming onto a dual carriageway (he was just singing) He also clipped 2 kerbs while drving to the start of the lesson. The second instructor had just bought a brand new car and was very nervous about it, and also didnt know the area at all. So finally by the third lesson i found a decent instructor.

The driving instruction business is unregulated so beware of cowboys out there, teaching you poorly or teaching you wrong.

Good luck with the lessons.

It does, thanks. Not sure if my dad will be able to manage to get in the car with me without giving instructions regards practice but I'm sure I can gag him.

Thanks again. I just wasn't really sure what to expect this evening. Hopefully I don't start off bad, first time driving a car other than my own, and that hasn't been often either. Thanks again. :)

No problem. Only ever did lessons through an instructor. At the time my Dad didn't ever wear a seat belt while driving.:eek: So an instructor was only option for me. Thankfully he has finally changed his habits.

noblestee wrote: »
    Make sure the instructor is reputable.
    If you feel uncomfortable with the instructor or think they are either teaching you something wrong or just not good at teaching, cancel any further lessons, or in the case where it is a driving school with many instructors, ask for a different one.

+1
    The first instructor I had actually paniced during a lesson for no reason and gave me an ear full. Needless to say changed to another instructor.:)

• Advertisement

I was learning up in the curragh at the start and mine wouldn't wear a seat belt either, but I don't have much choice with having him in the car with me cos he's the only person in the family with a driving licence so I kinda need him as an accompanied driver, wish some of my friends had thought to go learn to drive etc and I could ask them these questions but no such luck. Anyhow, thanks again.

That was the one thing my dad said to me, he organised the lesson and then told me about it, he said that if I don't like the instructer then don't worry about, there are plenty out there and I'm sure to find one I do. I'm just kinda grateful that it's gonna be a female instructer. I will hopefully feel more comfortable. Thanks again to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Best advise is, like others have said, get an instructor to show you how to drive. They'll have come across almost every probelm under the sun so will be able to give you correct advise. Often learning with someone who has been driving a long time ony serves to pass on bad habits to the learner. Best advise, leave it to the pro's.

I was thinking that starting from scratch might be an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I was thinking that starting from scratch might be an idea
    Its the quickest way to learn.
    A good instructor will have you passing in a few months where as driving around with your average dad could take years.
    It's not so much the stuff you dont know as the bad habits you pick up from drivers who think they know.

Get the basics right and the rest will come naturally in time.

The instructor should also have a fair idea when you are ready to pass, but having a test booked for a specific date helps concentrate the mind.

• Advertisement

Just to say the lesson went really well and the lady was lovely. I learnt a lot in the hour and even went through my first sets of traffic lights and junctions!

Thanks for everyones advice and I will definitely be getting more lessons from the lady in question.

It was helpfull that she brought me to an area to practice first which was coincidently the same place I had been practicing with my dad, so that got rid of any nerves.

Thanks again people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Dancing, you make me think back to my first lesson.
    I too was uncertain when to start braking, cutting out at junctions.
    My instructor gave me an ear full but it worked positively for me.

Initially you just find there is so much to be doing but with practice you'll get there!

Ah my instructer was lovely so I don't think she would have known how to give out to me. I have been driving with my dad for a few weeks in my own car but hadn't been out on a road other than in industrial estates, so I was lucky enough to get out of the chugging and cutting out habit in my own car.

I would have been so nervous if I had cut out in her car,:( so thankfully I didn't!:)

Just to practice all my newly acquired good habits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

my dad, a hackney driver, has been teaching me to drive
    :eek: :eek: :eek: PSV drivers have notoriously poor driving standards!! :D

You are much better getting an 'outsider' to teach you. There are too many emotions involved with parents/spouses/partners/children etc.

Good luck with your lessons. :)

Ah he's a good driver, really!!!! But he is an atrocious passenger!:D I guess after 30 years in the drivers side he couldn't be much else.

I am finding that it's easier to learn with someone who isn't so very worried about my safety. A parent is so worried about keeping you safe they try to avoid letting you learn, instead they grap the wheel and such when in a panic. I think I've learnt my lesson though, stick with the professionals and use my dad for practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

My Dad is the same, he's my accompanied driver but he can't keep his mouth shut. I know he's trying to be helpful, but when you get a barge of orders at once it's confusing - which can cause mistakes or accidents. I've told him to bite his tongue from now on...or I'll abandon him somewhere en-route - he's an ex PSV driver...it's in their nature I think :p

They can't help it. Though mine admitted he's a bad passenger and has promised not to give instructions when I'm driving, so we will see how that goes.

I have come to conclusion that the only way to do it is to get an instructor, at least that way you can inform the parent that you are making progress etc.

Worst thing about the PSV drivers is the fact that they generally really do know what they are talking about and are generally very good and safe drivers, however they have very little patience for those that aren't up to scratch! Which is why I need to be a very safe driver before the parentals will be happy! So onwards and upwards with the lessons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

I would have been so nervous if I had cut out in her car,:( so thankfully I didn't!:)

:D

Dancing Daisy, you should never worry about cutting out the car in your instructors car, its the best place to cut out, she will calmly show you how to start it back up again. You wouldn't be the first to stall and you won't be the last. And you also said you were afraid of making a fool of yourself with her, your instructor is there to help you and encourage you and should never make you feel foolish. You are paying her for her time and patience, relax on your lessons and you will enjoy them even more.

P.s if you do cut out, the first thing you do is stop the car with the footbrake and then apply the handbrake, select neutral then turn the engine on again.....and most importantly Don't panic!

Thanks for the advice :) The thing about cutting out was cos my dad has spent an entire month teaching me not to cut out, so to forget it all would have made me so very nervous! But I can definitely see your point, any mistakes I'm going to make are best made in her car!!!! That way I'll know what went wrong and how best to remedy it.

my dad has spent an entire month teaching me not to cut out
    You can easily practise that without actually going anywhere especially if you have a sloping driveway or a sloping road outside you house.

Just keep placing the car in gear and finding the biting point of the clutch, moving forward a little, they reversing back over and over again. You would also be automatically practising a hillstart manoeuvre.

Once you become accustomed to moving without stalling on inclines, you will find it difficult to actually stall. It becomes second nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Just to practice all my newly acquired good habits :D
    Careful, you're starting to give learners a good name.:D

Keep it up.
    What you learn now will still affect how you drive in 20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Hey! Good luck with all your learning!

When you get used to the brakes you'll have no problem stopping just before the white line. I always used to slow too quickly, figure I wasn't going to make the line and then come off the brake, then brake again... it was a bit bumpy and didn't fool anyone!

I would second what sweetbubbly said - don't worry about cutting out. Realistically, it will only happen when you - and those around you - are travelling at a slow pace or moving off from standstill. It's not like you're going to come to a standstill all of a sudden on a dual carriageway! It always feels slower getting going again than it is and the most important thing really is not to panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

They can't help it. Though mine admitted he's a bad passenger and has promised not to give instructions when I'm driving, so we will see how that goes.
    Mine has promised the same...hasn't kept to his promise yet though. He thinks my instructor was mad and knew nothing - even though he has been an instructor for over 20 years :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

P.s if you do cut out, the first thing you do is stop the car with the footbrake and then apply the handbrake, select neutral then turn the engine on again.....and most importantly Don't panic!

Above statement should be quantified. Only if facing up a hill and danger of rolling back. Even then would not select neutral - keep in the clutch, leave gear lever in 1st.

If the car is moving forward, why should you bring it to a full stop. ?? By doing so you greatly increase the chances of being rear-ended.

Have seen people who had been taught to do above, irregardless of the situation. So they move off and stall, they then slam on the brakes, go through the entire procedure, some even going to the trouble of taking their foot off the clutch pedal, before starting.

Exactly as if they were safely parked on the side of road. But they are not safely parked, instead they may be stuck half way into a junction in a potentially dangerous situation.

If you stall and car still moving forward, simply push in clutch fully, do not touch the gear lever, start car, give it wee bit of gas and let up the clutch slowly and smoothly. Away you go. No need to do above ritual.

Obviiusly above advice came from an instructor who read someplace the proper procedure for starting a car, and then applies it to every situation.

Common sense Rules. How many experienced drivers would stop, handbrake etc etc, ? Why ask a learner to do so. :confused:

J_R wrote: »
    Common sense Rules. How many experienced drivers would stop, handbrake etc etc, ? Why ask a learner to do so. :confused:
    Indeed - experienced drivers ocassionally stall but it's never really noticable as they're off again within a second.

Advertisement