Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking up sport in limerick

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

any recommendations? i'm dying to take something up to keep fit. i play the ol' tag rugby every summer but do nothing during the winter except going for the occasional jog.
    I'm 27, I love rugby, it's the only sport i follow, but my body's just not designed for the sport. "Played" in school but I was complete rubbish at it.
    Now i'm looking for something to do, where i can build my fitness up, have the crack and not take the sport overly serious.
    Can any of you lads make any recommendations? GAA is not an option, I hate both of those sports.
    I had been thinking that Hockey might be an option, but I don't know of any clubs in limerick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

this is what im thinking you should do..myself nd the lads did it last year and it was great crack. get a load of your friends, men or woman, doesnt matter..go to the university arena and book a court to play football in every monday night or whatever night, then the next night go to LIT and book a pitch on the astro turf and play football there..so your playing 2 nights a week,doesnt matter when.if you get a large number of people playing its only going to cost you a fiver max and 2 games a week makes you look foreward to something during the week and catch up with all your friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    this is what im thinking you should do..myself nd the lads did it last year and it was great crack. get a load of your friends, men or woman, doesnt matter..go to the university arena and book a court to play football in every monday night or whatever night, then the next night go to LIT and book a pitch on the astro turf and play football there..so your playing 2 nights a week,doesnt matter when.if you get a large number of people playing its only going to cost you a fiver max and 2 games a week makes you look foreward to something during the week and catch up with all your friends!

I tried that a few years ago. My mates are a bunch of lazy [EMAIL="bast@rds"]bast@rds[/EMAIL] unfortunately. The active ones are already involved in such nights with their work places. Have asked to keep me in mind for any openings in those, but the chances are slim.

Hansel wrote: »
    I tried that a few years ago. My mates are a bunch of lazy [EMAIL="bast@rds"]bast@rds[/EMAIL] unfortunately. The active ones are already involved in such nights with their work places. Have asked to keep me in mind for any openings in those, but the chances are slim.

hmm i see, another alternative is this..i noticed you play tag rugby, im guessing you played this year? and if you did you would have been put into a team of strangers? well you could ask them if they wanted to make some sort of weekly sporting night? as they would already be involved in the thick of things with tag (although i believe tag is ending this week) so ask them this week and tell them to bring along a few people they know? great way in making a few new friends too

hmm i see, another alternative is this..i noticed you play tag rugby, im guessing you played this year? and if you did you would have been put into a team of strangers? well you could ask them if they wanted to make some sort of weekly sporting night? as they would already be involved in the thick of things with tag (although i believe tag is ending this week) so ask them this week and tell them to bring along a few people they know? great way in making a few new friends too

that's also not an option. I know everyone on my team. The women barely have enough interest in the tag, not to mind anything else. Most of the lads are also already involved in other activities. The ones that aren't, are looking forward to a Winter on the beer and gasping for breath throughout next summer when they play tag again.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

http://www.limerickclimbingclub.ie/

Maybe go swimming or take up a martial arts.

• Advertisement

Martial arts is a definite possibility. Are there many martial arts places in Limerick? I wouldn't even know where to begin, or which one would be suited to what i'd like to do and achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Beasttsai

Does anybody know any basketball stuff in Limerick? I'd like to play basketball just for sport, but I can't find any free or public court here. It's really terrible in this city.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Hansel wrote: »
    Martial arts is a definite possibility. Are there many martial arts places in Limerick? I wouldn't even know where to begin, or which one would be suited to what i'd like to do and achieve.

there is one in perry square..wazai kai i think its called. There are a few kickboxing studios aswell near the roundhouse.

Go to the martial arts forum and ask, they would know more on which martial arts would be best suited.

Beasttsai wrote: »
    Does anybody know any basketball stuff in Limerick? I'd like to play basketball just for sport, but I can't find any free or public court here. It's really terrible in this city.:(

I think that there's a team in UL. May be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Beasttsai wrote: »

hi there im an under 14's basketball coach in limerick.. i used to play alot but due to family commitments and work have v little time to play myself.. i know of some pick up games which take place in laurel hill on a sunday afternoon all my old team mates usually play at that.. they r always asking me to come so im sure they could use another body.. its a great crack and semi competitive.. u can PM me if you would like more details.. as for free outdoor courts limerick sucks for this.. as with everything in this city if it aint rugby its second best.. we used to play outdoor at salieasians school and ard scoil ris.. although im sure at this stage those courts have seen better days!! i work in tipperary and there are some excellent outdoor courts out here weather depending obviously.. if you need some more info or would like to make an attempt at organising something (if you know more interested) just PM me again.. hope this helps..

• Advertisement

man if your into all the tai chi and martial arts then go to dave sheahan gym. im a member and eventhough i never go to all those classes there is so many things on in there every day from kickboxing to fitness programmes to everything under the sun! really good place this, deffinately worth a visit, the best thing is you dont need to pay to become a member of this and do it..you can pay as you go, 7 euros a visit..located in windmill st just off henry st

man if your into all the tai chi and martial arts then go to dave sheahan gym. im a member and eventhough i never go to all those classes there is so many things on in there every day from kickboxing to fitness programmes to everything under the sun! really good place this, deffinately worth a visit, the best thing is you dont need to pay to become a member of this and do it..you can pay as you go, 7 euros a visit..located in windmill st just off henry st

Nice one centurion. Might check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

If you're interested in taking up hockey. Limerick Hockey Club who train at Villiers and UL and Catholic Institute who train in Rosbrien are the two clubs in Limerick. I think LHC is starting a new team this year and probably very eager for new players as I'm sure CI are too.

If you've never played before have a look at www.ehlhockey.tv for some good online videos of the mens game to see what it's all about.

It is quite a skillful sport but it's very enjoyable no matter what level you play at with a good social scene and many clubs struggle to fill their lower teams on a weekly basis so I'm sure you'd be more than welcome.

Advertisement