Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebay Problem, Asian Item

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭

Hi, (sorry for the long post)

Last Saturday(July 5th) week I bought a Nokia N78 off ebay for almost 335 euro - from a very large UK Seller. All seemed fine until I recieved an email the following friday saying my item had been dispatched. The Royal Mail's tracking service, however, told me that the package was only recieved into their network this monday. I sent the company a polite email saying that I thought their "next day dispach" message was misleading.

I recieved the phone today, in perfect condition. However, it is an asian model - something that was not mentioned on the sellers page for the item. In fact, a picture of a eurpean model was displayed, with no mention of foreign products anywhere. The item I recieved was not as described.

The asian model has a few small symbols in front of the numbers 1-5 on the keypad, something I can live with. Pics here However the phone, which is from Hong Kong does not have an FM Transmitter(they are illegal there), something which the European model does have, and also something which was described as being present on the ebay page for the item.

In the sellers FAQ section of their shop, it states that when a product is returned under any circumstances, the buyer must pay return postage and packing costs, and also that any item returned for reasons other thant it being faulty constitutes a £30 administration fee.

I think that this it totally unacceptable. What can I do here?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Paypal dispute (don't bother with ebay dispute) that the item sent does not match the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying and Auctions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yep, Paypal dispute is the way to go. You'll have to pay return cost, if you return it, but you shouldn't have to pay any admin fee. It's not what you ordered (as if it were broken), you can claim a fault as the FM transmitter isn't working, and is mentioned in the auction.

You could also see if the seller will issue a partial refund, to make up for the missing functionality and it being the wrong model, if it suits you to hold on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I've emailed the seller, if they dont reply in the next day or 2. I'll start a Paypal dispute. Is that a long process?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've emailed the seller, if they dont reply in the next day or 2. I'll start a Paypal dispute. Is that a long process?
    Depends on the seller, if they don't respond in 10 days you automatically win as I recall and get a full refund. If they respond (likely in this case due to amount and quality of item) depends on their response (they may contact you directly and ask you to send it back or agree to have it sent back via paypal etc.).

I would not expect a resolution outside of 2 weeks at least and if you send it back make sure it is with registered mail in some form (or it may get "lost" on the way and Paypal will automatically rule against you).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A dispute will automatically close in 10 days, unless you escalate to a claim. That also gives 10 days for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

had the same hassle with a gangster in ireland. private sale.opened dispute and got full refund so dont worry. even got price of p&p back as stated i wanted this in dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Open a PayPal dispute now, let the seller respond to that and then escalate it to a claim.

I would do this so that you are given an address to return the item to the seller from PayPal - then return it using post that comes with a tracking number (most important part)

The seller could reply to you tomorrow with an address to return the item to but if that is not an address on his PayPal account, when you go to file your claim you will not have any proof that the item has been returned to the seller so thats why I would file the dispute now. It also shows the seller you are serious about the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Do you mind me asking who the seller was? I was looking to get an N78 off expansys, pixmania and ebay, expansys was to expensive, pixmania had rediculous security checks (I actually ordered and they wanted passport copies and bill copies for my verified paypal account - I cancelled the order) and as for ebay I had heard bad things about the big UK seller I was about to buy off so I avoided.

I ended up ringing round town, found a shop with one left went in and haggled €40 off it and got it for €390, so I was pleased with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

It was E-cell, they have a good feedback rating though. I've opened up a dispute now after they didn't reply to an e-mail I sent on Thursday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement