Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many lessons?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

I got my letter in the door this morning, i have my test on the 22nd August.

Ive been driving since last June, drive maybe 200 miles a week including a drive up and down to Dublin(From Clare) last weekend. Never had anything close to a scratch, ive been practicing my hill starts and reversing around corners since January and think ive got them down. The only problem i see with my driving is i constantly ride the clutch, ive tried for months to get out of the habit but i just cant shake it.

Basically what im asking is, is there any need for me to buy 5 or 6 lessons if the instructor will be able to get me out of the coasting habit in 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just book one lesson and see how it goes, no need to go booking 5 straight away if you may not need them. As for constantly riding the clutch i would recommend, when not using the clutch to put your foot on the floor infront of the clutcxh pedal and make it a movement that you have to think about before doing it if you get me? I know a lot of learner drivers who "hover" their left foot over the clutch, which is where a habit of riding the clutch arises

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Hi Melion,

I used to do the exact same thing & instructor sorted me out in the first pre test lesson. I wouldn't go booking a whole batch of lessons yet, as Alanstrainor said, do one & see what the insructor thinks.

Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

you've got a bit of time before your test - I'd book two lessons. Get the first one soonish and just drive like you've been driving and ask the instructor to make notes of all the bad habits you've picked up. Then drive as much as you can, between now and the test, being aware of them and try to correct them. And a week before the test I'd have another lesson focused just on the test, your instructor should know all the test routes so get an idea of what spots they like for the turn around, hill start, reverse. Go out and drive the test routes as much as you in the few days before the test.

Some like to have a last minute lesson as close to the test as they can, thats up to you and how comfortable you feel. I've had friends tell me it calmed their nerves and put them in test mode while others said it was overkill and wound them up to much before the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Melion wrote: »
    .... Never had anything close to a scratch, ............ The only problem i see with my driving is i constantly ride the clutch, ive tried for months to get out of the habit but i just cant shake it.
    The problem is untrained drivers rarely see much wrong with their driving.
    I know way too many terrible drivers who never had a scratch.
    It is a self defeating argument. After years of driving I am still far from perfect.

OP, the following is not a comment on your situation, but a comment on the general tone of replies, and the popular attitudes that I only hear in Ireland.
    You question just wouldnt arise in most other countries.

It is supposed to be getting away from this blasé attitude towards learning that we should be going, yet it is ingrained, even in those who are directly involved.

If I said to do well in your Leaving Cert, forget about school, spend a few days in May in a grind college, I'd be laughed at, yet that is what people seem to expect regards driving.

I've never got and never going to get this whole pretest lesson malarkey.

A pretest is like a dummy/mock test to see how you might get on before the real thing and determine if you need more lessons.

It is not meant to be a lesson to sort out years of bad driving habits.

You are meant to learn properly to begin with, otherwise invariably, after the test, (as is the gripe of so many learners regarding qualified drivers), you revert back to those bad habits which came naturally.
    The whole point of lessons is to get the basics right.

Expecting some poor instructor to correct all your acquired bad habits in a day is a tall order and hardly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That's a good post ^^

I was similar to the OP. My driving was fine, perfectly safe. But it wasn't the sort of driving that passes the test. I was driving in the middle of lanes instead of too the left, cutting turns a bit too much etc etc... None of it "dangerous" but not good either. I didn't see any of these til I had a go with an instructor.

As for riding the clutch, I used to sit with my left foot over it waiting to jump on it at any moment. Since I learned to leave my foot on the rest beside it and only go to it as neccessary, the smoothness of my driving has improved alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

Excellent post Wil. Driving lessons are an investment in safer driving for you. I know they are expensive but you will reap the benefits provided they are with a good instructor. There are some cowboys out there so be sure and go to someone that has been recommended to you. If you are looking for a good instructor in Dublin I can recommend one or two just PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Book one lesson and a pretest, the instructor will tell you if you need anymore. As for the clutch, I used 'steps' to get the hang of it, as in around the size of €1 coin for the bite, bit of rev, and release clutch slightly more and hold for 2 seconds (car will move off), once the car moves let off clutch completely (albeit slowly). When changing gear - clutch in, change gear and release to biting point and hold for a second before letting off completely.

Keep you foot on the floor or on a foot rest if your car has one. Even if you have it slightly resting on the clutch pedal whilst driving it's still engaging the clutch - and will wear it out faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

rEgarding the question of how many lesson you should take. No one can give you a solid answer really. Your best bet i s to get that first one in talk with the instructor about what your weakness are. Some of the other posts in hear a little shocking to be honest but I don't want to stray to far off point.

rEgarding the question of how many lesson you should take. No one can give you a solid answer really. Your best bet i s to get that first one in talk with the instructor about what your weakness are.
    Different people do have different learning abilities and requirements.
    If we take the available information from those that have been getting it right for a long time now, you can see just how far behind our system, abilities and attitudes are.

"Recent surveys indicate that nine in ten learners who passed both theory and practical tests first time were taught by an instructor."

"Those who pass their driving test have had, on average, about 45 hours of professional training combined with 22 hours of private practice. Learners who prepare this way, with a combination of plenty of professional training and plenty of practice, do better in the test."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/PracticalTest/DG_4022483

They also say the older the learner (over 20) the more lessons in general required to pass.
    Some of the other posts in hear a little shocking to be honest but I don't want to stray to far off point.
    ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

wil wrote: »
    Different people do have different learning abilities and requirements.
    If we take the available information from those that have been getting it right for a long time now, you can see just how far behind our system, abilities and attitudes are.

"Recent surveys indicate that nine in ten learners who passed both theory and practical tests first time were taught by an instructor."

"Those who pass their driving test have had, on average, about 45 hours of professional training combined with 22 hours of private practice. Learners who prepare this way, with a combination of plenty of professional training and plenty of practice, do better in the test."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/PracticalTest/DG_4022483

They also say the older the learner (over 20) the more lessons in general required to pass.

????

Definately a higher standard required to pass tahn here.

Definately a higher standard required to pass tahn here.
    And much safer and saner to drive there too as a result.
    People pass way younger than here too. You are old if you havent passed your test by 20.

And that goes for bikers too, you are probably aware of the huge numbers of bikers in the UK compared to the paltry numbers here, it is just too dangerous for most here. Between the roads and the drivers you have my respect.

Advertisement