Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jestem...

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I know it means 'I am' but can anyone tell me what 'You are' 'He/She/It is' etc. is in Polish? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

NialoF1 wrote: »
    I know it means 'I am' but can anyone tell me what 'You are' 'He/She/It is' etc. is in Polish? Thanks.

you are - Ty JESTES

he/she/it is - on/ona/ono JEST

We are - my JESTESMY

You are (plural) - wy JESTESCIE

They are - Oni SA (A with a little coma, word pronounced: SOU)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NialoF1

Dziekuje

Another thing, for example 'I'm from Ireland' means 'Jestem z Irlandii', if I was to say 'You're from Ireland' would there be a difference at the ending eg. ' Ty jestes z Irland--'?

NialoF1 wrote: »
    Another thing, for example 'I'm from Ireland' means 'Jestem z Irlandii', if I was to say 'You're from Ireland' would there be a difference at the ending eg. ' Ty jestes z Irland--'?

No, because "Ty jestes" is the subject of this sentence rather than Ireland. In this case it will be Irlandii for or persons.

It wuod be different with "You are Irish" as in this case Irish is a description of a person, so the word would change accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Right so here goes:

Jestem Irlandiem
    Jestes Irlandies

Is that right?

• Advertisement

No sorry, it's a bit more complicated.

And I just realised I lied to you - what makes the difference is whether it's plural and singural, and whether it's a male or female, not which person.

So its:

Ja, Ty, On, Ono) - Irlandczykiem

Ona - Irlandka (a with a coma, pron. ou)

My, Wy, Oni - Irlandczykami.

lol Complicated indeed, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

I am - Jestem
    You Are - Jestes
    He/She/It - Jest
    We Are - Jesteśmy
    You (PL) - Jesteście
    They Are - Są

Its absolutely not necessary to put in the (Ja Jestem, ty Jestes), as they are obsolete in spoken language.

Heres another one for you:-

I have - Mam
    You Have - Masz
    He/She/It has - Ma
    We have - Mamy
    You (PL) - Macie
    They have - Mają

Good luck with learning Polish, its a long rocky road.

Advertisement