Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMS install & CHMOD with register365

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi has anyone else had much experience installing cms's on shared hosing with register365?

I've installed joomla & mod x in the past, and set the chmod of each folder & file as requested during installation. My trouble now is installing an ecommerce cms called magento.

There are (what seems like) hundreds of files and folder which need there permission changed. Is there not a way to change the permission of a fold and all it's subsequent sub folders? Or am I stuck with mondaine task with cuteFTP and doing each batch together?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I use Filezilla (Open Source). Then choose the hierarchy folder, change permissions and there's an option to recurse into all files and subfolders.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

Amazing, thanks for the quick reply, I use FileZilla at home but not in work. Ill give it a go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Are there any security risks involved in changing these folders to 777?? I'm always a bit dodge about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hi has anyone else had much experience installing cms's on shared hosing with register365?

I've installed joomla & mod x in the past, and set the chmod of each folder & file as requested during installation. My trouble now is installing an ecommerce cms called magento.

There are (what seems like) hundreds of files and folder which need there permission changed. Is there not a way to change the permission of a fold and all it's subsequent sub folders? Or am I stuck with mondaine task with cuteFTP and doing each batch together?

Thanks for the help.
    Do you have SSH access to the server?

Failing that, try WinSCP and re-upload all the files. You'll have the option to set permissions there. Try 755 (rwxr-xr-x) first. You'll usually be given error messages there's a file/directory that requires 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Are there any security risks involved in changing these folders to 777?? I'm always a bit dodge about that!
    yes there is.

anyone with access to your server can then write a script to your server and execute that said script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Cremo wrote: »
    yes there is.

anyone with access to your server can then write a script to your server and execute that said script.

So 777 is a bad idea?

But what about the likes of wordpress etc that need that access to make things a bit easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

GaryCocs wrote: »
    But what about the likes of wordpress etc that need that access to make things a bit easier?
    For those things I recommend only changing the necessary files to 777 while you make some changes, then back to 444 (read only for all) or 644 (rw for you; read only for everyone else).

You can upload images via FTP and then reference them in Wordpress, instead of doing upload via WP (the latter would require more open permissions).

Advertisement