Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf MK3 Repairs

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey not sure if this is posted yet but could anyone tell me is it easy to change the brake discs and pads on a mk3 golf? Also brake pipes?

I have a bit of experience with restoration of tractors so I'm thinking it couldn't be too hard. I hope to get the haynes manual for the car to do the bulk of repairs myself.

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Thanks and best regards!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 joshsworld

I was also wondering what the fuel consumption is like with the 1.4 litre petrol engine (both mpg and km per litre)?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a simple enough job to R&R the pads and discs. Just remove the calipers by removing the two allen bolts on the in-board side of the caliper, then remove the disc by unscrewing the philips screw on the disc (between the wheel stud holes).

The flexi hoses to the calipers are easily removed, it'll all become clear once you look at it - just be 100% sure that you can correctly bleed the brakes once the new hoses are fitted. If you are in any doubt, leave it to a pro.

There are 5 or 6 different types of calipers fitted to MkIII so take a good look at what needs to be done before removing anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Discs and pads are easy, if it's anything like the Mk2 you take off the hub for the disc and the pads on the calliper are held in by two clips. You'll have to make your own brake pipes but brake hoses are easy to do.

You're looking at 35mpg fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

klaus23 wrote: »
    Discs and pads are easy, if it's anything like the Mk2 you take off the hub for the disc and the pads on the calliper are held in by two clips.
    The MkII is a bit different to a MkIII.

The diagram below may help to some extent.....

615150sw3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

I have a MK3 Golf and found that the original brakes were rubbish, I got a guy from vagdrivers.net to fit a set of 280mm brakes, the difference is amazing. Before i had very little confidence in the 239mm brakes now the 280mm do the job.

There is a set available here well worth the money for peace of mind.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for the info very much appreciated :) A mechanic friend said he will give me a hand in terms of supervising the job so I should be ok to bleed the brake system.

Does anyone know if the haynes manual is any good for this car?

Cool thanks for the figure on fuel consumption too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

joshsworld wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the haynes manual is any good for this car?
    Cool thanks for the figure on fuel consumption too :)
    The haynes manual is ok. There are lots of variations, so it probably won't have accurate pictures for everything, but it gives a reasonable general description of nearly every possible diy task.

I get about 33mpg from a 75bhp 1.6 petrol (AEE engine). That's all country/main road driving though.

Cool i've just ordered my copy from easons and hopefully it will be good enough to show me all i need. Thanks :)

Nice! Anything I should look out for repair wise? Things that are likely to go?

Nice! Anything I should look out for repair wise? Things that are likely to go?
    What engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Don't bother. Golfs don't brake down & the parts don't wear out, they are the most reliable car on the planet & they cost nothing from the moment you drive them out of the garage.

I have also heard that they appreciate in value and have negative fuel consumption. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

+1 , They run on the smell of an oily rag and like any vw they never break down. To some up - super cars for people that swallow marketing bull**** and know nothing about cars /driving.

It's a 1.4 petrol engine and it's a mk3 golf. April 1997 if that helps at all

Oh I had a look and found that it's the 1391 cc engine

Oh I had a look and found that it's the 1391 cc engine

Take a look under the carpet in the boot. There should be a sticker with a bunch of codes written on it. This will give you the engine code, the colour code, and codes for all of the options fitted.

The engine code generally has the format AEx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 niamh doyle

i was looking for advice on a clutch for my mk3..i put a new clutch cable in it..but there is still a lot of play in the pedals to catch the bite in takin off..would any of yas have any advice on wat i would need to do to sort that out??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cleberp

There is already a discussion about the VW Golf Mk3 clutch cable here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194473&page=2
    This should help you.

I have the same car as you, 1.4CL '97. My lights are acting up. I changed a burnt out right highbeam bulb and then the left highbeam bulb blew. The previous owner mentioned that the lights weren't the best [and now he's uncontactable] so would this be a wiring problem. The bulb was burnt out when a bought it [still a great car for 500euros] so I presume he had the same problem and just didn't get it fixed.

Any ideas, or anyone have similar problems?

Advertisement